I wonder...

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Have any of y'all ever wondered if there is a roll of barbers or seated halves or dimes sitting around in some bank somewhere just waiting? I mean if people turn in walkers and bens as if they are worth just face value then some old lady who could care less could just as easily turn in a roll of these rarer coins. What are your thoughts peeps? Let's hear it.

Oh to add an interesting story....My Aunt used to clean the Rectory or (Catholic Priests Apartment) and every once and a while she would go and clean the house of the Priest's mother. One day she was cleaning the women's bedroom including the carpet and underneath beds and dressers and such. Well as she bent down to pick some items off the floor she found a couple small gold coins. I don't remember the dates but she said they were very old. As she looked around the dresser to figure out where they had come from she noticed a small change jar full of various coins, pennies, nickels with these gold coins mixed in. I don't remember how many there were but there had to be quite a few. What my aunt noticed was next to the coin jar were several penny roll, nickel rolls etc filled with coin. My Aunt, shocked and alarmed that the old lady was accidentally rolling these coins and turning them into the bank called the priest and said "You need to come here and take a look at this!" Needless to say the priest saved whatever was left in those rolls and in the jar. There is one thing that story taught me and that is old people can be forgettful and have poor vision and old coins will be turned in by them.

I hope you enjoyed the story. Just gets my mind wondering.

For those of you who are old, I hope you are not offended by the term "OLD" and also ...thank you!
Golden Silver

Upvote 0

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish it would happen but I doubt it. The reason is that in the barber time or seated time, 50c was a lot of money and $10 was a big chunk. Misplacing that amount of money would force people keep looking until they found it.

I found my only barber in a roll with two walkers and several franklins.

So I hope to find another roll of mixed walkers and franklins with one or two barbers.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
One of the tellers I chat with told me that she had three rolls of silver dimes that someone had turned in and that she had put a side. The teller during a rush had accidently given them to a business customer.
My grandparents who would have been in their late 30's when gold was confiscated told me that gold coins were never really seen in circulation. The only time one saw one was in the form of a jewelry.

OP
OP
golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Rich they may not have circulated much but people deffinately had some. You can tell that by some of the extraordinary finds on the banner. And I am sure people later collected them.

Golden Silver

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awhile ago someone posted of a gold coin find in the quarter rolls. I cant search for the post atm as im at work....but it happened.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
After reading about some of these finds I'm not surprised that a gold coin shows up in a roll and will again.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
You need to consider the geographic location as well. In the Western U.S. the gold coins and silver dollars circulated much better and were used much more frequently than back East. My grandmother moved from Pittsburgh to Illinois and then to Montana, and she said that even into the 1960s the silver dollars were used more than paper dollars in rural Montana. However back East in Pittsburgh, that was not the case.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
A few years back my grandmother took all her husband's morgans and peace dollars and deposited them in the checking account. "No reason to have cash lying around like that!" ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread