Another Bank went bad

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I went to drop off my normal $1000 a week at a branch of a bank that I have been going to for the last 2 years. Not even every week alot of the time. Friday they told me no more halves. But they did say they would still take them if I covered the fee from brinks and she would have to call them and get back to me on that. She called back saying the fee was 10% the total value...... So according to her the fee is $100 to ship back a $1000 bag of halves. I called back got her voice mail and told her that was outragous. And I asked what happened to just covering the Brinks fee. The woman asked for my account number and I didnt want to give it out. Then she asked for my name. Knowing that she could look up my account with my name I didnt even want to give it at first but then I finnaly gave in. Then she asked for my account again. I just said "why dont you just look it up with my name?" She said "Ohh yeah I guess I can do that" That says to me they must really think we are stupid..............

So Ive been a customer there for 15 years. I pulled a bunch of my money out and got my mortgage, car loan, and my daughters saving accounts across the street now when they gave me a hard time in the past. Im sure she looked at my accounts and saw that I didn't have anything in there and assumed I was just using them for cashing in coins. But the sad thing is is they treated me like crap and they have now lost my buisness forever....... and my wifes.... daughters. Not to mention me telling everyone about my bad experience with them. They must not know that word of mouth is the best advertizing.

My uncle knows the bank Pres. and he said he talked to them about me cashing in coin and he told me they said they should not be denying me.

I just dont know how to deal with these people anymore. Any of you had any luck doing anything? I thought about writing a formal letter to the bank pres. and see were that gets me.

Upvote 0

XX

Jan 11, 2008
blurr said:
alabamadan said:
Just move on to another bank.

No kidding. Banks aren't your congressional representitives, or anything similar. They don't have to bow down to you because you threaten to pull your money out. Also, not all banks in America took bailout money. If this bank did, so what? Do you think you own the local school? Walk in one day and start shooting hoops in the gym, and see what happens ;D Your bank doesn't have to take 200 pounds of 50 cent pieces from you every week to keep you happy. It would be awfully nice of them if they did, but they don't have to. My advice is to move your business somewhere that treats you with courtesy. Be up front with them, tell them what you do for fun (crh). Find a bank that agrees to accept your coin, and happy hunting.

John

I'm one of the first people to point out that banks are for profit. There is no law that says they have to do business with us and they are free to close our accounts provided they are not violating any anti-discrimination laws.

BUT......

I also believe that they should be held to the Truth in Savings Laws and not lie. Lying about fees to get a customer to go away is flat out wrong and since there are laws in place that ban such behavior, these banks should be called to task on it.

I pay taxes, the OCC is there to enforce the laws, Regulation DD is a valid law, failure to disclose a fee in writing is a violation of Regulation DD.

The logic is simple, the only problem is that most government agencies could give two ------ about us common folk, but they are at least good for forwarding on complaints and tracking them. The more people that actually file a complaint, the more likely an agency is to actually follow up on the complaints. All it takes is a single letter from every person affected to effect change (in this case, nothing more than honesty from the bank employees).

If the bank were to simply state that accepting my coin deposits costs them too much and they do not want to service my account anymore if I continue to deposit/cash coins with them anymore, there is really nothing to argue with. I don't get what is so hard about just being honest in the first place.

[/ Rant]

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
XX said:
blurr said:
alabamadan said:
Just move on to another bank.

No kidding. Banks aren't your congressional representitives, or anything similar. They don't have to bow down to you because you threaten to pull your money out. Also, not all banks in America took bailout money. If this bank did, so what? Do you think you own the local school? Walk in one day and start shooting hoops in the gym, and see what happens ;D Your bank doesn't have to take 200 pounds of 50 cent pieces from you every week to keep you happy. It would be awfully nice of them if they did, but they don't have to. My advice is to move your business somewhere that treats you with courtesy. Be up front with them, tell them what you do for fun (crh). Find a bank that agrees to accept your coin, and happy hunting.

John

I'm one of the first people to point out that banks are for profit. There is no law that says they have to do business with us and they are free to close our accounts provided they are not violating any anti-discrimination laws.

BUT......

I also believe that they should be held to the Truth in Savings Laws and not lie. Lying about fees to get a customer to go away is flat out wrong and since there are laws in place that ban such behavior, these banks should be called to task on it.

I pay taxes, the OCC is there to enforce the laws, Regulation DD is a valid law, failure to disclose a fee in writing is a violation of Regulation DD.

The logic is simple, the only problem is that most government agencies could give two ------ about us common folk, but they are at least good for forwarding on complaints and tracking them. The more people that actually file a complaint, the more likely an agency is to actually follow up on the complaints. All it takes is a single letter from every person affected to effect change (in this case, nothing more than honesty from the bank employees).

If the bank were to simply state that accepting my coin deposits costs them too much and they do not want to service my account anymore if I continue to deposit/cash coins with them anymore, there is really nothing to argue with. I don't get what is so hard about just being honest in the first place.

[/ Rant]

What do you suppose the fees are for? The banks aren't breaking any laws by not wanting to subsidize a hobby. I love looking through change to find old stuff as much as anybody else, but I wouldn't expect the bank to order me boxes of a coin that nobody uses anymore. It does feel good to blow off some steam though I guess.

John

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
bigtime400 said:
XX said:
Step 1. Ask for a business card.

Step 2. Request the fee in writing. Indicate that as of this moment in time, the only thing you have in writing is a fee schedule that indicates that there is no charge.

Step 3. Force a head on collision by making a deposit. 10% is steep to make a point, so only do something like $500. Key word here is deposit.

Step 4. Demand a receipt for the fee if they attempt to charge it.

Step 5. File a complaint with the OCC (or the Federal Reserve if they are the regulator. You can find the regulator on the FDIC's website when you lookup the bank). Cite the bank for violating Regulation DD (not to be confused with Regulation D, remember, two letters)

Step 6. Send a copy of the complaint to the bank's president.

Step 7. Follow up on the complaint with the OCC.

Step 8. Be prepared to receive the letter informing you that the bank has closed your account and will mail you a check for your outstanding balance when they feel like.

Step 9. Post the name of the bank here so we can all make $10,000 deposits to their branches.

Hope this helps.

XX
Thank you very much. That is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Ill give it a shot! Ohh yeah........ and I have been prepared for this bank to close my account for about a year now...... so its just a matter of switching around a couple payments I have attached to my checking.

Nate

Those steps could be listed as the top ten ways to get more banks to shut down CRHing by highlighting it. I would bet that somewhere in the bank rules there is a rule that allows them to change/or charge differing fees upon giving notice to the customer (which could be interpreted as verbally or in writing). I have not studied this or any other banks' rules, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is in there.

It is one thing if a bank improperly takes your money or breaks the law, but to go to the bank president because of a CRHing hobby does not seem prudent. If they give notice about fees and you don't want to pay them, go someplace else.

When banks help us (with no fees) in our CRHing, they are really acting like free employees for us in our search for silver. People like to call it a hobby but in reality it is a for-profit adventure/hobby. Some people have probably made thousands of dollars off this "hobby", unlike other hobbies as fishing, golf, etc. As the banks become more aware of what CRHing is, they are going to not like having their employees work for CRHers for free by handling all the rejects, buying all the boxes, etc. Especially if it is cosing them money in getting the counting machines fixed regularly and using up too much of their employees' time.

Some here say I favor the banks over CRHers but that is not true. I just don't "drink the kool-aid" and like to look at the world in what I perceive as a fair and realistic way.

As far as making a supreme court case out of the original poster's situation, I would like to bring up an old Japanese proverb that goes something like: "The nail that sticks its head up is the one that gets hit", or something to that effect. Draw too much attention to this hobby when it is not warranted and it will deteriorate and go down the drain more than it already has (due to all the CRHers out there who screw things up for everyone else, etc).

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why can't we all just keep our mouths shut about this hobby? Or I have a better idea. Lets write as many letters to the banks' leadership and bring as much attention to CRH as possible. Yeah, that will solve the problem. Because then maybe they'll actually investigate how much money is being lost on ordering your thirty boxes of halves and cut off ordering coins for non-business customers completely.

Look, I understand if you are being treated like crap by a teller and want to complain about your treatment. But don't cry about how your bank won't order you X amount of boxes or take your large deposit of halves anymore. I rarely hear about anyone getting a hard time about the circulation denominations (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters). The banks are not our personal servants and do not exist to feed our hobby. Find a different bank or deal with it. Unless of course you want to ruin the hobby for the rest of us.

-Codes

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Well what you say makes sense too. But at what point do you have nothing else to loose? I was only dumping $1000 per week at any one branch and would skip for weeks at some some times a month with no drops. The ones that seemed friendly to coin hunters I went to more often. But never more then $1000 per week. If I start dropping $250 a week or whatever I might as well give up coin roll hunting because the gas and time factor is going to be way to high.

Now I have been going to this bank for almost 3 years doing the same thing with no problems. She did mention someone else as well..... so maybe I am taking the brunt of someone elses mess up. And as far as using up there employees time. They do it for buisness with coin operated machines with no problems do they not!? I told the bank manager that this was part of my buisness. If we are profiting from it... bam.. it can be a buisness. The branch manager suggested that as long as I covered the fee from brinks that they would continue to count for me. Now if it really costs $100 per bag I am starting a new coin courier buisness instead. Maybe she was just shocked that I would agree with the fee. I was trying to be open to all options. I even asked if I should open a buisness account but that if I remember didnt get any response.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Codes said:
Why can't we all just keep our mouths shut about this hobby? Or I have a better idea. Lets write as many letters to the banks' leadership and bring as much attention to CRH as possible. Yeah, that will solve the problem. Because then maybe they'll actually investigate how much money is being lost on ordering your thirty boxes of halves and cut off ordering coins for non-business customers completely.

Look, I understand if you are being treated like crap by a teller and want to complain about your treatment. But don't cry about how your bank won't order you X amount of boxes or take your large deposit of halves anymore. I rarely hear about anyone getting a hard time about the circulation denominations (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters). The banks are not our personal servants and do not exist to feed our hobby. Find a different bank or deal with it. Unless of course you want to ruin the hobby for the rest of us.

-Codes

First of all I never say anything about "hobby" I tell them, "it comes with the territory in my buisness.... or my boss likes to pay me in these things.... He is kinda wierd" THe manager was questioning me up and down about where I get them from. I told her all over the place. She even said that they cant be cashing in coins just so I could go though them. I kinda ignored the question. But they arent stupid. as soon as you walk in a bank and ask for a $500 bag or box of halves they know what you are doing. Come on Codes...... you have to give them more credit then that............ Who else would cash in a bag of halves? I bet 99.9% of the time its a CRHer. Hell I wonder how many CRHers were started because of this website?!!? I almost belive there isnt strength in numbers with reguard to coin roll hunting Or how many bank tellers or managers read these posts to learn how to combat us.

Not to mention I did just walk away from 3 of the branches that just would not take halves anymore...... one was after I dropped off a bag once! You could say they are talking with the other branches about it..... but 4 other branches were fine with it and 3 were no good. that lasted for 3 years! now I am down to 2... maybe...... At this point what do I have to loose? I thought my best bet was to cover their fee. then all would be good but apparently thats not working. I dont know if they had an influx of CRHers or what. But Either way if none of them will take halves I might as well try to fight it so it doesnt become the status quo. Not to mention if they all get word of mouth around to eachother that they can get rid of you by just saying BOO! well then its just a matter of time.............

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Ok, I think Ole Golden Silver needs to get in between you guys. We can all agree to disagree. There will be no winners in this one. I am putting it out that just like in friendships you don't talk about religion or politics. In coin roll hunting we should not bring up

1. Marking Coin
2. If it is right or wrong for a bank to
A. Charge for ordering boxes
B. Charge for dumping coins
C. Prohibit dumping of coin

I feel it is just better for the forum. I mean we are for the most part all good guys and gals that love the same hobbie. I love this forum because of all the great people that are on it and the wealth of knowledge that you all have. Let's keep it friendly, let's keep in clean, let's keep it above the belt.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Above the belt....

Well it is clearly a scare tactic. Because 10% is ridiculous........

So if you want to run with the suggestion that XX gave you I would do that if I had the time or energy. Because I feel they are absolutely in the wrong on this one.

It doesn't even matter weather we deserve free coin counting service or not. $100 to deposit or cash $1000 is absolutely Highway robbery and a slap in the face, regardless if your account is a Business Acct. or a Personal account.

There is no way Brinks is charging that amount. They would cease to exist. Given the competition.

Mojo

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
coinmojo said:
Above the belt....

Well it is clearly a scare tactic. Because 10% is ridiculous........

So if you want to run with the suggestion that XX gave you I would do that if I had the time or energy. Because I feel they are absolutely in the wrong on this one.

It doesn't even matter weather we deserve free coin counting service or not. $100 to deposit or cash $1000 is absolutely Highway robbery and a slap in the face, regardless if your account is a Business Acct. or a Personal account.

There is no way Brinks is charging that amount. They would cease to exist. Given the competition.

Mojo

Exactly, don't you think they are trying to give him a hint? Find a different bank and move on.

John

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
Wow! What an interesting topic. A lot of good information.

Let's start out with banks and their banksta's. The banks were given bailouts / TARP funds to boost lending. The banks in turn reduced it's lending after receiving bailouts. Contrary to ***** comments, the banks will not have to pay pack these funds, as a matter of fact it would serve the interests and agenda of the government if the banks kept themselves in debt and that is why some banks were forced to take the cash, just as states were forced to take cash. That agenda is to nationalize the banks and one day dissolve or combine them.

For the most part, the banking industry and it's capital gains, toxic assets is completely corrupt. Technically, we don't even have a real use for banks anymore as it is, aside from CRHing of course. You can get a car loan directly from the dealer. If you want to buy a home you can get a mortgage right through an insurance company or even a Wall Street securities firm. We don't need to get our checking system through the banks because that can easily be done by using a cash-management or money-market account with a brokerage firm. Don't say that, "Well banks are insured by FDIC" when the FDIC is being stretched and used for means that were clearly well beyond the intentions of having the FDIC.

These banks worked very hard to rip off the same tax payers who's children are now going to pay and bail them out. Through loan schemes and Banksta credit agencies, they have managed to get caught up in failure by ruining the lives of many law abiding Americans. And now they want help from a fascist government and it's tax payers.

Awww...The teller has to recycle thousands of dollars in coins. That is terrible isn't it? They are doing their job and if they don't want to work for it then screw 'em. Next thing you know the stock boys at the local grocery mart are going to charge a fee every time a customer returns a few items. These thug banksta's need to get a life and do the job with a big smile on their faces as I dump on their counters.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
ScoobaSteve said:

Let's start out with banks and their banksta's. The banks were given bailouts / TARP funds to boost lending. The banks in turn reduced it's lending after receiving bailouts. Contrary to ***** comments, the banks will not have to pay pack these funds, as a matter of fact it would serve the interests and agenda of the government if the banks kept themselves in debt and that is why some banks were forced to take the cash, just as states were forced to take cash. That agenda is to nationalize the banks and one day dissolve or combine them.

For the most part, the banking industry and it's capital gains, toxic assets is completely corrupt. Technically, we don't even have a real use for banks anymore as it is, aside from CRHing of course. You can get a car loan directly from the dealer. If you want to buy a home you can get a mortgage right through an insurance company or even a Wall Street securities firm. We don't need to get our checking system through the banks because that can easily be done by using a cash-management or money-market account with a brokerage firm. Don't say that, "Well banks are insured by FDIC" when the FDIC is being stretched and used for means that were clearly well beyond the intentions of having the FDIC.

These banks worked very hard to rip off the same tax payers who's children are now going to pay and bail them out. Through loan schemes and Banksta credit agencies, they have managed to get caught up in failure by ruining the lives of many law abiding Americans. And now they want help from a fascist government and it's tax payers.

Awww...The teller has to recycle thousands of dollars in coins. That is terrible isn't it? They are doing their job and if they don't want to work for it then screw 'em. Next thing you know the stock boys at the local grocery mart are going to charge a fee every time a customer returns a few items. These thug banksta's need to get a life and do the job with a big smile on their faces as I dump on their counters.

I agree with a couple things you said. The new administration is Totally trying to nationalize the banking system. The tarp program though is a loan program, unless it has been changed since I looked last. The banks have to eventually pay back these loans. Next, not everyone needs to use the services of a bank. Again you are correct. I however would rather deal with a local banker than do my finances with five nameless people on the internet. Finally I will say this one more time, banks aren't in business to support our venture to find silver coinage. Some provide this service for free, and it is very nice of them to do this. On the other hand, what businesses use half dollar coins? Casinos are the only ones that come to mind. That means that for the most part, banks are taking in thousands of dollars of "obsolete" coinage for someone's treasure hunting purposes. I rather doubt that the Brinks service is free to most banks. I personally think that they have no obligation to do this, but it is great customer service if they do so for free. And it is decent customer service if they do it for a reasonable fee. Telling someone they are going to be charged a 10% service fee is a not so subtle way of saying that they no longer want to play "treasure hunt" with you anymore.

John

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
blurr said:
ScoobaSteve said:

I agree with a couple things you said. The new administration is Totally trying to nationalize the banking system. The tarp program though is a loan program, unless it has been changed since I looked last. The banks have to eventually pay back these loans. Next, not everyone needs to use the services of a bank. Again you are correct. I however would rather deal with a local banker than do my finances with five nameless people on the internet. Finally I will say this one more time, banks aren't in business to support our venture to find silver coinage. Some provide this service for free, and it is very nice of them to do this. On the other hand, what businesses use half dollar coins? Casinos are the only ones that come to mind. That means that for the most part, banks are taking in thousands of dollars of "obsolete" coinage for someone's treasure hunting purposes. I rather doubt that the Brinks service is free to most banks. I personally think that they have no obligation to do this, but it is great customer service if they do so for free. And it is decent customer service if they do it for a reasonable fee. Telling someone they are going to be charged a 10% service fee is a not so subtle way of saying that they no longer want to play "treasure hunt" with you anymore.

John

John,

I agree with everything you are saying, but you are probably not going to convince some people here. Some believe banks are the spawn of Satan and are just out to steal from you and rape you.

These same folks probably didn't feel so bad about the bank when they were getting a loan or line of credit, second mortgage, etc. But when the time came to pay the money back that was rightfully owed, the banks became the villain and suddenly the loan rate usurious.

Let some of these people own their own business and have their customers/clients decide to stop paying after the work has been done/product or service provided. This sometimes happens to me (not as much now since I don't take chances on them (i.e. trust them) like I used to. I bet these same people who hate the banks for the reasons mentioned would throw a fit if their boss decided to not pay them at their jobs when the paycheck was due. But they would say that the work they do is justified and what the bank does is not I would imagine (i.e. loaning out money on a promise to pay, often with insufficient or no collateral).

Like goldensilver says, we have to agree to disagree I guess.

Jim

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
This conversation seems to be stuck in a rut that it always goes back to. I am not at the extreem of either of this issue. I know the banks arent there for me to CRH, but I expect a little more respect for a 15 year costomer then I have recieved. Now Ultimately I have done what most would expect. I voted with my feet and moved all my buisness across the street. The bank across the street I have been quite frank with from day one about what I am doing. They said thats fine. All we ask of you is to give us your buisness. Great huh? works for me!

The bad bank I have been a customer since I was 19.... so about 15 years. They loved me when I got my loan for multiple cars and a truck, They loved me when I opened CDs, they loved me when I went to get my mortgage there, and they loved me because my credit score is 750. That means I work and I pay back what I borrow. plain and simple. Why would that bank not want to keep a customer like that!?!?!? If they had not treated me like that I would have probably banked there my whole life, and my wife, dauhters, and future c hildren we are planning. When I started CRHing again they got down right nasty and would not work with me at all! I was promised info on a fee from brinks so I could cover the fee. THey tried to rape me on that one. A few times they would never call back. One teller told me the vault guy said to "shoot me on sight" Not only would that be bad customer service thats just wrong to say. ITs not like I just started last month and dropped off $100k. I have been doing this for 3 or 4 years now off and on. Never drop more then $1000 per week at any one branch and the ones that did have a problem with it I quit going to them. The ones that were good I would even ask them "are you sure its ok?" And they would say something like "no we dont mind at all" Now I cant go to any of them. Some wont take ANY coin! So I went and closed my last savings there. Talked to the Head teller at the man branch who has always been a friend of mine. She said. " I dont mind if you come here" and " I even asked what exactly the fee was for shipping out halves and no one said anything to me"

well I got to run.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
bigtime400 said:
This conversation seems to be stuck in a rut that it always goes back to. I am not at the extreem of either of this issue. I know the banks arent there for me to CRH, but I expect a little more respect for a 15 year costomer then I have recieved. Now Ultimately I have done what most would expect. I voted with my feet and moved all my buisness across the street. The bank across the street I have been quite frank with from day one about what I am doing. They said thats fine. All we ask of you is to give us your buisness. Great huh? works for me!

The bad bank I have been a customer since I was 19.... so about 15 years. They loved me when I got my loan for multiple cars and a truck, They loved me when I opened CDs, they loved me when I went to get my mortgage there, and they loved me because my credit score is 750. That means I work and I pay back what I borrow. plain and simple. Why would that bank not want to keep a customer like that!?!?!? If they had not treated me like that I would have probably banked there my whole life, and my wife, dauhters, and future c hildren we are planning. When I started CRHing again they got down right nasty and would not work with me at all! I was promised info on a fee from brinks so I could cover the fee. THey tried to rape me on that one. A few times they would never call back. One teller told me the vault guy said to "shoot me on sight" Not only would that be bad customer service thats just wrong to say. ITs not like I just started last month and dropped off $100k. I have been doing this for 3 or 4 years now off and on. Never drop more then $1000 per week at any one branch and the ones that did have a problem with it I quit going to them. The ones that were good I would even ask them "are you sure its ok?" And they would say something like "no we dont mind at all" Now I cant go to any of them. Some wont take ANY coin! So I went and closed my last savings there. Talked to the Head teller at the man branch who has always been a friend of mine. She said. " I dont mind if you come here" and " I even asked what exactly the fee was for shipping out halves and no one said anything to me"

well I got to run.

I'm glad you found a bank that values you as a customer.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread