Question About Silver Eagles

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
At the rate they are going for. i think it's a good idea. just try to stay off the bay it's to hard to see what your getting.

Ju8vP3t

Depends on what you like, many factors involved; Whats your purpose? Collecting? Investment? ...The one thing I wouldn't do is go to ebay and start bidding, some online dealers have '09 SAE's for $17 per, various years $16.50 per

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
It depends on what your goals are. If you like them and want them to collect, then you should buy them.

If you are trying to accumulate silver because of its value, then you can do a lot better sticking with .999 bullion rounds and bars. I would avoid the Christmas and anniversary type bars and stick with name brand refiners, such as Engelhard, JM, Sunshine, A Mark, etc. Some dealers don't charge any more for these bars over the Christmas type bars (except for Engelhard and JM brands). Most dealers will not pay as much when you cash in if you are selling the Christmas type bars.

The high premiums on Eagles will eat into your profits, and if silver goes up high I doubt the premium will stay high.

Jim

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
tnfishdaddy said:
It would be for investment purposes.

If you are just starting out I would avoid the Eagles if you are buying to invest in silver. They are nice coins and I have some tubes of them stashed away that I bought before the premiums were so high, and my goal is to get as much silver as I can for the money while getting a silver product I can sell later when it is the right time.

Premiums have already been coming down a bit on the Eagles in the last month or so, as the price of silver has gone up. Maybe you will be able to get some at a decent premium soon if you really want them.

Good luck.

Jim

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
The premiums on eagles are actually pretty LOW right now. With silver at $14.25 or so today, eagles are at $16.10 on bulliondirect.com. That's pretty low. It has been high at times, but it seems that $2.75 - $3 is the center of its swings. So since it is below $2 right now, that's pretty low.

I also think that in the future if something bad happens that eagles will gain a higher premium again, as people trust them more.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jrf30 said:
The premiums on eagles are actually pretty LOW right now. With silver at $14.25 or so today, egles are at $16.10 on bullion.com. That's pretty low. It has been high at times, but it seems that $3 is the center of its swings. So since it is below $2 right now, that's pretty low.

I also think that in the fuutre if something bad happens that eagles will gain a higher premium again, as people trust them more.

That would not be a bad premium. Do you have a link? I went on Bullion.com and did not see any prices listed. You would also have to take shipping costs into account if you order via mail, which would add to the bottom line cost.

I only buy locally so I don't know how much shipping would cost.

For comparison sake, Apmex is selling Eagles for 17.84, unless you buy 100 or more which gives a discount.

I would still rather have 10 ounce name brand bars for a buck over spot or less. But that is just me.

Jim

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'll PM you the website. Go to the nucleo tab, which is their trading site. Pretty darn good prices there. :-) And I get a monster box delivered for like $58 if i remember right. Even had 3 of them delivered at once for only $120 shipping. That's 8 cents a coin to add for shipping. :-)

Only thing I didn't like is it takes about 3 - 4 weeks to get your order once you buy it. They are slow on delivery. They always deliver, but they are slow, and that makes me sweat for the last week or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread