State Quarters, Hoard or Sell? Fad? Maybe??

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Alright everyone! This has been a huge topic in magazines and books alike. If you have looked at the values for State Quarters in Unc. rolls they are doing very well for some of them. Well is this the time to sell? Let me show the facts:

- These were minted in the Hundreds of millions for every quarter. That means over a billion were minted every year. They are in such large quantity how can they ever be worth so much? They are made of clad, not silver, so they have zero intrinsic value whatsoever. Some people say that they are doing pretty well right now because the series has ended and some collectors are into them.

- Many, many, many people have hoarded these up (as myself). My opinion is that some are rarely found in circulation right now, there will come a time when everyone goes to cash in their state quarters and the value will go down greatly. Similar to, before the GSA hoards were released the 1904-O was one of the rarest and most desirable Morgans, and people payed a sum of money to get one. When the GSA hoards were released in the 60's (1963 or 64, not sure exactly) the 1904-O was no longer rare. I (personally) think that this will happen with the state quarters. Because of the amount minted and because so many collectors are hoarding them.

- For those of you who didn't know the Georgia rolls in Unc. condition are worth about anywheres from $30 to $60 each.

Now like I said I think these are hot right now and in years to come will go down. Maybe in a generation or two they might be worth a lot but not in the next ten years. My Dad and I are in a disagreement. I say sell the rolls and put it in older coins that are surefire to go up in value, unlike the state quarters. Maybe buy come key dates, the some of the Lincoln keys and maybe a 1916-D Merc. dime. What do you think? As an investment, will key dates do better than State Quarters? If I didn't say so we have over $1500 FACE value to unload. That doesn't include the collectors value and collecting premium. I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
My OPINION .. Now is hte time to sell the state quarters. Values are up, in part because 2009 is a otugh year for coins in general. So the states are up. But i think they will not go higher, and holding them won't do much more good than already accomplished.

BUT - HOARD the 2009 territory quartes. For the same reason. they will go up in the near future. Not yet, but in the next few years they will go like the Georgia or the Ilinois have.

I'm not sure on the lincoln penny. I htink you sell now, as values are starting ot drop and should drop more. Later they may go up again, but I'd sell and then hoard after the values go back down to $0.01. But I'd hoard the territory quarters, and sell the state quarters.

My opinion. :-)

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep the nicer-looking state quarters in a box away from the rest of my coins. I plan on keeping them for a while and see if they are worth much in the future. I think it's a safe bet hoarding the '09 pennies and also the '10 "Union" penny.

Hell, this is all coming from a guy who started to hoard the new nickels in '04 when they came out.......haha :tongue3:

OP
OP
DAS7NY

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
jrf30 said:
BUT - HOARD the 2009 territory quartes. For the same reason. they will go up in the near future. Not yet, but in the next few years they will go like the Georgia or the Ilinois have.

I totally agree on that one because of the low mintages.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Personally, I keep them and forget them. I've bought bags direct from the mint (each state both P and D) and were placed in rubbermaid totes in the back of the closet. I've been tempted to sell them as some have gone up in value quite nicely. But at the time, I told myself to forget about them until 2020. I wonder what I'll get for the 50 states and territories, now, in mint state (mint sewn bags) in 2020?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of the state quarters both P and D just because I find them interesting. I will pass them on to my kids and maybe some day they will be worth something. I haven't seen any territrory quarters yet. Monty

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently find so many bu state quarters in circulation in my area. I think some hoarders feel the crunch and forced to cash in.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tomorrow, I'm turning in 150.00 of mixed state qs. I got to thinking that the only way they would be worth anything in a circulated condition would be if they were error coins. I also think that if you have uncirc. rolls or the mint sets, uncirc or proof, they'll be the ones to keep too..

Just seems like there are too many out there, no matter what.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
davest said:
tomorrow, I'm turning in 150.00 of mixed state qs. I got to thinking that the only way they would be worth anything in a circulated condition would be if they were error coins. I also think that if you have uncirc. rolls or the mint sets, uncirc or proof, they'll be the ones to keep too..

Just seems like there are too many out there, no matter what.

Agree. If they have the slightest circulation wear, then they'll never be worth more than face unless it an error. Even then, there are so many error examples in mint state that you'll have to hold onto the AU example for 50 years for it to be worth $.50.

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
I would sell and use the money to buy extra boxes of whatever for coin roll hunting.
I have about 250 dollars worth of state quarters left out of 1200 dollars worth, they will be sold soon.

OP
OP
DAS7NY

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
pronghorn said:
I would sell and use the money to buy extra boxes of whatever for coin roll hunting.
I have about 250 dollars worth of state quarters left out of 1200 dollars worth, they will be sold soon.

Right now my Dad's freed up a lot of money for me to CRH so much I can't even do all the boxes he gets. lol ;D

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
DAS7NY said:
pronghorn said:

Right now my Dad's freed up a lot of money for me to CRH so much I can't even do all the boxes he gets. lol ;D

Wish I had that problem. Can I be your brother? ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread