The 2nd new penny comes out tomorrow. check this!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
(Here is an article on it.)

Ask Melissa Miller on the eve of the launch of the new “Indiana” Lincoln penny and she’ll say, “It’s crazy!”

According to Miller, who heads the Spencer County Visitors Bureau, the U.S. Mint predicts a crowd of 3,000 will show up Thursday morning for the first issue of the coin during a ceremony at Lincoln State Park Amphitheatre.

“They’re calling it Woodstock for Coins,” she said, noting coin collectors from outside the area have been contacting local residents offering to pay them to stand in line to buy new Lincoln pennies for them.

The new coin, whose “tails side” depicts Lincoln as a young Hoosier reading a book during a break from rail splitting, will be introduced during a 10 a.m. ceremony at the covered amphitheater.

The front side continues to bear Lincoln’s likeness.

Miller said a Brinks truck from Philadelphia will arrive Thursday morning with an unspecified number of Indiana pennies.

During the ceremony hundreds of shiny, new one-cent coins will be distributed to children ages 18 and under in attendance. Also, rolls of never-circulated pennies featuring the new design will be exchanged after the ceremony (for dollar bills only).

Visitors will be able to purchase several rolls.

Miller noted while some in Thursday’s turnout will be avid collectors, others will sell the coins on eBay for a profit.

The redesign of the penny is the first in 50 years, with four versions coming out this year to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s birth and mark different stages of his life.

A Kentucky penny was issued in February to honor his birth there. Later this year, coins representing Illinois and Washington, D.C., will go into circulation.

Upvote 0

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
do you guys think that these pennies will also go for really high prices on ebay becuase when my bank gets their order of the new pennies they said that i could have them all, so i am hopeing that they will sell high on ebay agian

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
bourassa5 said:
do you guys think that these pennies will also go for really high prices on ebay becuase when my bank gets their order of the new pennies they said that i could have them all, so i am hopeing that they will sell high on ebay agian

I think they will be high. People still can't get the first pennies. I bet a lot of it will be people buying just to resale at the first. After that who knows.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never knew about the new pennies. I wonder if they will be the cheap flimsy clad pieces of junk like we have now? Monty

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Yes, they will be junky zincs. I found one in a box of pennies and there is some white around the edges already.

Attachments

• linc.jpg
    linc.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 238

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey I have to rolls so far P & D, plus 2 cert as 65, i am set up for all 4 this year

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would it be a good idea to order them from the US mint website for $8.95 for the 2 roll set? On the website it says shipping date is 5-29-09

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I just ordered five sets (the limit) from the mint website for $8.95 for the two roll set both P and D mint

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
I ordered my 5 sets and was at the opening event today. It was pretty packed. I got 12 rolls, (2 heads heads), and I got 10 rolls with the lincoln stamp postmarked at the Lincoln City, IN post office. We'll see if they go for a lot on Ebay or not. Hoping so! It was a neat time though except for at the post office. Very unorganized. I did sell some stamps for $1 a piece since they sold out of the lincoln stamps and I bought mine before I went at my local post office.

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
I saw they were selling them on shopnbc for 39.95 last night at about 11.00 pacific time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread