Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2008
    rome, ga

Anyone search vending machines??

Sometimes at work on break or when I have a chance to kill a few minutes I put some quarters in vending machines and hit the return button just to see what other coins comes out. I figure it's easier than buying rolls of coins and running bank to bank. No silver yet on quarters or dimes and probably slim chances that I will see one. Done nickels on the vending machines and came up with 2-1940 and 1-1947 in about 5 minutes. I think I had a 50 something nickel that came out but I put it back in thinking it was worthless. I kept some AU 1999 quarters around 15 of them so far.

Any others tried this method? Any luck?

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    May 2009
    Texas
    Garrett Ace 250
    1 times

Re: Anyone search vending machines??

I've never heard of this strategy, but it seems like a pretty cool break-time treasure hunting activity. It might also be cool to try after metal detecting, when you have a pocketful of dirty face-value coins to get rid of. Hah, let the vender worry about them! At the very least you get to think about something besides for a while, and maybe even get a coke when you're done. Cool idea, though, man.
    "You revere me; but what if your reverence tumbles one day?  Beware lest a statue slay you! -Nietzsche

Dec 2006
    2 times

Yeah, it 's been brought up on this forum before; VMHing. (vending machine hunting)

It has provided some nice keepers for folks; myself included.
    "You can't win if you don't play"

"Behind every dark cloud is a silver lining"

"If you're prone to motion sickness, this "roller coaster" hobby may not be for you "

us
    Apr 2009
    Clarksville TN.
    Minelab SE Pro

No I gave it up when learned about MSG.

us
    Sep 2008

I think that would be embarassing to explain to your coworkers that you are trying to find some neat coins.

kz
    Dec 2007
    The Dirty Shire
    Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
    135 times

my dad got a few gum ball machines that he set up in a few areas around town.
    so far in little over a yr he found 2 silver quarters while emptying them out

us
    Jan 2007
    ny
    TESORO DeLeon

I've tried it...no luck yet!
    gerald
    Turn your passion for Gold and Silver into income!
    WWW.Shimmeringwealth.com
    2010 CRH Totals  
    Silver Dimes 17
    Silver Quarters 0
    Walkers    2
    Franklins 1
    90%  23
    40% 16

us
    Dec 2006
    Washington, DC
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I've found a few 1940s nickels this way, and a 2005 Canadian quarter. As with CRH, nickels have the best yield.
    RECENT FINDS:
    1943-D steel wheat cent
    2010 Philippines piso
    2007 Mexico 2 pesos
    1992 UK 10 pence
    2009 UK 5 pence
    1994, 2003 UK pennies
    2000, 2001 French 5eurocents
    2002-D German 5eurocents
    2000 Dutch 5eurocents
    2001, 2007 Spanish 5eurocents
    1999 French 2eurocents

XX

Jan 2008

I've done this before and while I've found one Florida Proof Quarter, I've also gotten three nickels back in place of quarters (not at the same time).

us
    May 2009
    F75 LTD

I'm now known as the weird guy at work that hangs out by the coke machine. Don't suppose anyone knows a way to look for silver and look cool at the same time? Oh well, who cares, i'll just keep stack'in.

us
    May 2009

Hey Jimmy I have done this before too. When at my old workplace, i did that with the nickels and out popped a 1943-P 40% silver.
    This is a good stretegy but sometimes, depending on the machine it will spit out whatever you put in.
    Silvergold

us
    Aug 2008
    Ace 350
    96 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I've never tried this method - maybe next time I'm needing a fix and don't have a box handy...

Maine_Jim

us
    Dec 2008
    Hemet,ca
    fisher F2

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonMinus
    I've never heard of this strategy, but it seems like a pretty cool break-time treasure hunting activity. It might also be cool to try after metal detecting, when you have a pocketful of dirty face-value coins to get rid of.
    so that's how i clean my dirty dug up clad.

us
    May 2009
    Texas
    Garrett Ace 250
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by DEMERSON
    I've never heard of this strategy, but it seems like a pretty cool break-time treasure hunting activity. It might also be cool to try after metal detecting, when you have a pocketful of dirty face-value coins to get rid of.
    so that's how i clean my dirty dug up clad.
    It's just unfortunate that most of the nasty clad finds are rotted pennies and no machines will accept them as payment for anything...
    "You revere me; but what if your reverence tumbles one day?  Beware lest a statue slay you! -Nietzsche

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    301 times

It's just unfortunate that most of the nasty clad finds are rotted pennies and no machines will accept them as payment for anything...
    I had a baggy full once and decided to go to coin star with mine. Started slowly pouring them in and it was rejecting over 50% but then I started re-feeding them untill suddenly everything shut down and the screen said see manager.

I quietly retrieved all that did not go in and went home. I did not visit that store for a few months.
    at yard sales I am dollardan
    on ebay I am the-howto-guy

us
    Apr 2009
    East Coast
    White's MXT
    25 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I own several soda machines and a snack machine at my neighborhood pool. Last summer I found a silver proof state quarter straight out of a set. Some child got in big trouble for that one I'm sure! Gotta have that candy fix though.

us
    May 2009
    Texas
    Garrett Ace 250
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan
    I had a baggy full once and decided to go to coin star with mine. Started slowly pouring them in and it was rejecting over 50% but then I started re-feeding them untill suddenly everything shut down and the screen said see manager.

I quietly retrieved all that did not go in and went home. I did not visit that store for a few months.
    Man, If I was in that situation, after the thing seized up, I would have just poured the rest in there out of spite for those machines being such a rip off to begin with. Coin-machines should be free, since, I assume, a majority of people going to trade in their coins are doing it so they don't have to buy groceries with a bag of random loose coins. But I digress, since our economy is based on making money from other peoples money anyway. Funny story though, man!

us
    May 2009

Yes you are right Coincrazed. My mistake i was thinking of the halves 1965-1970.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors