Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
40%'ers and coin show offers

For those interested, I went to a local show in town. Brought 10 rolls of clad silver halves with me, intending to sell and buy up to 90% junk.
Highest offer was 3.2 X face, I believe spot that day was $15.70/oz. Wow those people sure are stuffy!
I decided to hold my 40's, they acted like they would be doing me a favor taking 'em at face. Oh well, worked to hard for em to be given away! FFD

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Re: 40%'ers and coin show offers

3.2 x face would have been alright. As for selling them at face value, what's the point?

Golden Silver

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia

I would hold them unless you really need the cash. Then sell on E-Bay, even with the fees you will make more than selling to local dealers.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

Coins shows are known by me to be one big rip off if you want to sell. They just take advantage of people who don't realize what they have.

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50

3.2 x face is pretty low.

I just sold all of my 40% two days ago for 4.2x face.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Ifyndit said:
3.2 x face is pretty low.

I just sold all of my 40% two days ago for 4.2x face.
I'd be satisfied with that. I was only shooting for 4X at the show. FFD

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Fistfulladirt said:
For those interested, I went to a local show in town. Brought 10 rolls of clad silver halves with me, intending to sell and buy up to 90% junk.
Highest offer was 3.2 X face, I believe spot that day was $15.70/oz. Wow those people sure are stuffy!
I decided to hold my 40's, they acted like they would be doing me a favor taking 'em at face. Oh well, worked to hard for em to be given away! FFD

What a riot! I have noticed at the few coin shows I have gone to how many of the dealers are major A$$****$.

Probably half were friendly to deal with, the rest acted like you were burdening them to do business with you. I have seen a few booths though that paid well if you wanted to sell to them, but many offered way below fair value. The last time I went I was looking for a specific thing, so I literally went to every booth asking.

Jim

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you are just going to the wrong places, there are a lot of good dealers out there, you just need to find one. My local dealer gives me killer deals, but I give him ALL my business. Plus he always pay OVER spot for any silver I want to sell

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008

There are a few dealers in my area. Pricewise, two of them are awesome, one is OK, and one has prices that are a bit high for my liking. With that said, all of them are honest, and none hold a gun to my head to make be buy something. A couple of them even let me return some coins after I realized that I already had what I needed.

If I get frustrated with a price, I remind myself that they have to make a living too, and that this is not a cheap hobby. I also remind myself that I get better deals at the shops where I spend a lot of money.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

STDevil said:
There are a few dealers in my area. Pricewise, two of them are awesome, one is OK, and one has prices that are a bit high for my liking. With that said, all of them are honest, and none hold a gun to my head to make be buy something. A couple of them even let me return some coins after I realized that I already had what I needed.

If I get frustrated with a price, I remind myself that they have to make a living too, and that this is not a cheap hobby. I also remind myself that I get better deals at the shops where I spend a lot of money.

You are exactly right STDevil and Goes4ever. My two main coin dealers that I buy from often also pay a fair price if I ever need to sell.

I could probably get a slightly higher price off EBay, but I dont want to mess with it.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread