Fab day at the B of A!!

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Stopped by the Local B of A to get some cash and coin. I actually thought about going to the cash machine (as I was starting to feel a little weary of CRH), but decided to go in anyway. The Merchant Teller waved me over, saying she had a lot of halves. She brought up 13 rolls ā€“ they were $10 rolls that were overfilled. I thought, ā€œGreat- Someoneā€™s Dumpsā€, but decided to take them anyway to keep the relations good with this great teller.

She handed them to me, noticed the rolls were overfilled, and said we better count them. I picked one up, noticed a silver on the end (the rolls would not close up), and thought ā€œWait, this may be the proverbial ā€˜Some old person brought their change can inā€™ situation.ā€. When I opened the roll up, I noticed $15 in coin, most of which was silver. The teller goes to talk to one of the managers to explain that they shorted ā€œBeaā€, because they only gave her $10 per roll. The manager says, ā€œNo problem, she comes in all the timeā€¦isā€™nt she sweet? Weā€™ll just credit her account.ā€. The Manager then says that I will probably find some oldies in my rolls, because she pulled several old ones from the loose coins that came with the rolls. She then produced about 10 Bens and Walkers for my viewing. I knew I had a score at that point. The manager then said the lady also brought in a lot of dime and quarter rolls, and the Merchant Teller even let me look through a few! There were no silvers in those rollsā€¦I probably should have bought them to check them all, but I just wanted to get out with the halves.

So, in the end, out of $195 (390 halves), I ended up with:

10 SOLID rolls (I guess I opened one of the non-solids at the bank).

154 90% (I have found a total of 149 in the last 15 months of CRH, so this doubled my pile)
190 40%
1 1964 Canadian ā€“ the little guy wanted this, so he got it.

The roughly $22 worth of clad went into the little guyā€™s piggy bank.

What a great experience! I have been reading all of the dream box/roll posts with envy, and even though I had a close encounter last summer, I still wanted to hit the mother lode. Well, now I hit it! I will probably retire from CRH at some point in the future, and when I do, I will do so with the knowledge that I had my 15 minutes in the sun!

Maybe LJ's plan of getting back into CRH scared the silver out of people's hoards, and back into circulation...

Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Man that is awesome but it would be more awesome if we could see them. Please?

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Allright......... that is a beautiful thing............. :headbang:

However............. :dontknow:

If this were me and the banker actually knew the old lady I would venture to say I would feel very lucky to have just scored $1000 worth of silver roughly, That I might just purchase a gift card for that old lady that they know........ That might make me sleep a little better at night.

Now I'm not saying you need to do this I'm saying that if they know this little old lady, and she is probably hurting financially to the point that she had to cash in a hoard of silver at face value to buy grocery's or something?..... I would be compelled to at least offer her something for your little winfall

How a bout a gift card for a Grocery store. Ask the teller if she actually knows this lady and what her situation is and see if you can return a favor.

I know I would feel so much better myself. This is not a faceless score. there actually is a little old lady in this story.

You could come out looking like a Hero........ $100 dollar grocery gift card......... 10% :angel7:

That's just me.

Before anyone calls me out on this, let me say this is a situation where a known individual is involved. Not a random box of halves with $100 dollars face of silver in it from Brinks.

Congratulations on your score.......... (Spike Lee quote insert here)

Mojo

OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Here's a photo

Attachments

• Halves.JPG
    Halves.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 284
OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Oh yeah, I went back for the dimes and quarters ($330 worth). Ended up with one Mercury Dime, 6 Canadian Quarters :( and 6 bicentenial quarters. Oh well, one silver dime is usually what I pull when I get a dime box.

And yes, I am going to get something for the Teller...

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
STDevil said:
Oh yeah, I went back for the dimes and quarters ($330 worth). Ended up with one Mercury Dime, 6 Canadian Quarters :( and 6 bicentenial quarters. Oh well, one silver dime is usually what I pull when I get a dime box.

And yes, I am going to get something for the Teller...

What about the old lady?

Mojo

OP
OP
S

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I don't plan to get anything for the lady. That seems a little wierd to me, and the tellers said she has brought coins in in the past, and when they try to tell her they're worth more at the coin shop, she says it's not worth the bother. I did tell the manager to direct the lady to a good coin shop about 2 miles away, so I've either turned the tellers on to the value of the coins, or, hopefully, nudged the lady to a place that will give her what these coins are worth.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
STDevil said:
I don't plan to get anything for the lady. That seems a little wierd to me, and the tellers said she has brought coins in in the past, and when they try to tell her they're worth more at the coin shop, she says it's not worth the bother. I did tell the manager to direct the lady to a good coin shop about 2 miles away, so I've either turned the tellers on to the value of the coins, or, hopefully, nudged the lady to a place that will give her what these coins are worth.
Little old lady....coin shop....silver....well, at least the bank gave her face for the halves....lol!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I would give something to the teller maybe if she saved the rolls for me, but not the customer who dropped them off. Why rock the boat? Especially if this lady brings in such coins on a recurring basis.

If the tellers gave the old lady a $100 gift certificate and said "this is from the guy who bought your old silver halves", she is gonna feel ripped off because then it will hit home that the coins were really worth more than face. That may go against logic, but that is human nature for the most part.

STDevil said that the bank workers told the old lady to go to the coin shop and she said she did not want to bother. I think that warning should remove any bit of guilt that a person might have in this instance.

Remember this bit of wisdom, "no good deed goes unpunished".

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Very well than......... Consider yourself very lucky.

I thought about the rocking he boat angle as well.

I have heard that "no good deed goes unpunished", but what exactly does that mean?

I still think I would do something........ Maybe something like give the teller my number in case she brings in another load.........

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread