"I was this close" "This close )-( I tell ya"

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
"I was this close" "This close )-( I tell ya"

So after my dump I ask the usual questions.

Do you have any Big dollar coins or Half dollars coins or the new Pennies and Quarters?

He responds with, I believe we have some of the Lincolns...
How many?..... Any full boxes?
Well I don't know if I can sell you a whole box.
I will replace them if your worried about being short for your other customers.
All right let me see what I got.

He comes back out and says I swear we had at least 2 boxes yesterday. But they are gone. Someone must have gotten them last night. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

So I leave him my number and tell him to call me if he sees any more and if he sees any of the half dollar or big dollar coins.

That's when he drops this bomb on me. :o

Some lady came in recently and was trying to put Morgans through the machine but it doesn't take them. We tried to tell her that they are worth at least $30 a piece. But she insisted that she did not want to bother with them. So the teller gave her $1 a piece for them.

I said you mean Eisenhower dollars?

He said no, Morgans from the 1800's

So how many are we talking here?

He says at least 100.............. ???

Well... I said first they are not worth $30 dollars a piece but most dealers will give you $7 to $9 dollars ea.
Tell her when you see her, that I would Gladly pay her $10 ea....... You got my number.

He said OK............... :P

Whhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Mojo

Upvote 0

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Re: "I was this close" "This close )-( I tell ya"

If the teller gave her $1 each wouldn't the bank have them? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: If you get that that will be banner worthy for sure! :headbang:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Similar thing happened to me but with walking liberties. I stop into my normal pick-up bank and the teller tells me that she filled in at a bank down the street the day before. This bank is also one that I frequent. She said some old lady brought in six rolls of walkers in old wrappers. Some guy came in a couple of hours later asking for just a few half dollars for his daughter. He left with a roll and came right back asking for the rest. I could not believe that I go there once a week at least an they have nothing and then I miss something like this. It is all about luck and timing.

Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

coinmojo said:
Well... I said first they are not worth $30 dollars a piece but most dealers will give you $7 to $9 dollars ea.
Mojo

Dealers here pay more than 7 to 9. Melt right now is about 11. If you can get them at 10 you are still getting a great deal. May be some good years in there.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

jim4silver said:
coinmojo said:
Mojo

Dealers here pay more than 7 to 9. Melt right now is about 11. If you can get them at 10 you are still getting a great deal. May be some good years in there.

Jim
Dealer here in Mi paid $13 ea to my friend's wife who had some old Morgans and Peace. I was a little sad to hear that, but she didn't know I collected. I would have went $13 ea. ffd

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008

DAS7NY said:
If the teller gave her $1 each wouldn't the bank have them? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: If you get that that will be banner worthy for sure! :headbang:

??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

DAS7NY said:
DAS7NY said:

??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

OK I know they are not supposed to make personal gain from deposits or something like that but the truth is some tellers have huge collections from deposits.

The teller I talked too Said the teller who handled the transaction bought them from her own tray and took them home.

If she still has them and is willing to part with even a handful of them I will be very happy.

When I first started CRH'g 4years ago and silver was $12 I got $8 for common silver dollars back then. at toady's price I can only get $9 ea. from places like kitco. At $10 I'm still paying a slight premium and risking losing money if silver drops. If on the other hand silver rises I stand to make a profit. And if buy chance there are some key dates in there I could do very well.

The teller on the other hand would be making 10x what she paid for them and if there is truly 100 of them she stands to make a $900 profit from a 5 minuet transaction at work.

So why wouldn't she turn them over for $10 ea. she only paid a $1 ea.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread