Couldnt get a Barber...how about a Cap (Pictures Added!)

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Couldn't get a Barber...how about a Cap (Pictures Added!)

I've never managed the old barber from CRH but got a nice surprise today at my dump bank. As I was leaving a teller told me she got something strange today that I might want. She hands me an 1834 Capped Bust half. It would have graded between VF and EF if it didn't have a small drill hole through the "18"...ah well still pretty sweet for .50! Batteries are dead in my camera but I'll add a photo when they are charged. Also bought a small bag of eisenhowers and scored ten silvers. Also got an entire box of log cabin cents. All in all a strange day for a small road trip around town! :thumbsup:

Maine_Jim

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Couldn't get a Barber...how about a Cap

If we could all have days like that jim! :icon_thumleft:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Jealousy over taking me. Hahaha. Congrats bud. Anything is possible and treasure is everywhere my friends.

Golden Silver

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008

WOW! That's CrAzY! WTG! Find of a lifetime! :icon_thumright: :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle

WOOOOOOOOOW!!! I need to see this pic!!! Congrats that is an awsome find :blob8: :blob8:

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

Yea I can't wait to so how the pictures will look. I can't imagine that I'll see another one of these without spending some big bucks! You never know though - I seem to have one strange find a month doing this and that is what makes it so fun. Yesterday I went into a supermarket with a bank in it and got shut out of halves so I bought a soda on the way out and the clerk hands me a silver nickel! Does that count towards CRH.... ;D

Maine_Jim

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

Wow!!!
Great teller, greater coin!
Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

Ok - got the wife to dig out her camera and posted a couple pictures. Sure was fun getting these!

Maine_Jim

Attachments

• Capped Bust 1834 Obverse.jpg
    Capped Bust 1834 Obverse.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 449
  • Capped Bust 1834 Reverse.jpg
    Capped Bust 1834 Reverse.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 443
  • Capped Bust and Eisenhowers.jpg
    Capped Bust and Eisenhowers.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 436

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Re: Couldn't get a Barber...how about a Cap (Pictures Added!)

WOW! That is amazing. Boo to the person who drilled the hole. :nono:

Great find! :icon_thumright:

cmhoose

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

Great find. No offense to you, but you should try weighing the coin to verify its weight is correct, or take it to a coin dealer to authenticate. A lot of modern counterfeits are going around now, even with the hole in them. Just last week I found an 1840 Seated Dollar in the ground/puddle at a park which was counterfeit. It would be great to see this coin be legitimate for you.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ooooh Jim......that is sweet!!!! Congrats on that one.

I always wonder about the history on a coin like this. What year the hole was drilled and the life of the person who drilled it. They were probably so common when it was drilled they thought nothing of it at the time. It seems like they would have drilled the hole opposite of where it is so the coin would be upright on the obverse if it was used for a necklace. Things that make you go hmmmm......??

You just skipped right over the Barbers and Seated didn't you. Again.....KUDOS Jim!!!

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

Yea it is funny never getting a Barber or Seated. Maybe that will be next. I've looked at a lot of coins this past year and never thought I'd see something like this. As to weighing the coin it already is a little light :D but doesn't exhibit the signs of a fake. I have a few fakes myself. Mostly chinese but also some old (new) english coins. The all have a distinct color to them and the centers of them are a bit blurred. They also stick to a magnet. I haven't seen any of these issues but you never know. They are getting better and better at making them in China....if it is at least the price was right :icon_thumright: I see some people getting hosed pretty bad on ebay with the fakes. If I was gonna spend real money on a coin like this it would come sealed in plastic certified by one of the majors.

Maine_Jim

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Certainly looks like the real deal,congrads on a terrific find even with the hole.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Very nice find! I understand that in the old days, coins were worn on a necklace so that they would not be dropped or lost. Congrats! ffd

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Fistfulladirt said:
Very nice find! I understand that in the old days, coins were worn on a necklace so that they would not be dropped or lost. Congrats! ffd

I've found couple %100 Clad halves with holes drilled thru them too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread