Interesting story

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I went into my usuall Thursday pickup bank and started talking to one of the tellers. She asked me if I had found anything lately I told her a little more than usuall. Then she tells me that 2 to 3 days ago a kid walked into the bank and handed her a 20$ coin that he said he got for a graduation presant. She said that she looked at it and didn't think it was real and then another teller tells the kid that he should take it to a coin dealer. The kid was trying to get 20 dollars in cash for his GOLD coin. She said that he had came in earlier before I had gotten there and said he sold it for around 900 bucks. All I have to say is Lucky Kid that those tellers told him to do that. Not sure if I would have been so ethical. lol. :wink: :o :icon_pirat: Just kidding
HH,
Frank

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
tank014 said:
I went into my usuall Thursday pickup bank and started talking to one of the tellers. She asked me if I had found anything lately I told her a little more than usuall. Then she tells me that 2 to 3 days ago a kid walked into the bank and handed her a 20$ coin that he said he got for a graduation presant. She said that she looked at it and didn't think it was real and then another teller tells the kid that he should take it to a coin dealer. The kid was trying to get 20 dollars in cash for his GOLD coin. She said that he had came in earlier before I had gotten there and said he sold it for around 900 bucks. All I have to say is Lucky Kid that those tellers told him to do that. Not sure if I would have been so ethical. lol. :wink: :o :icon_pirat: Just kidding
HH,
Frank

Pardon me here but isn't it amazing how dumb kids are today, revealed by your story above, he had to know it was a $20 Gold piece & to go to a Bank & ask for a 20 dollar bill that is backed by nothing whereas the Gold piece was, was well GOLD; scary, positively scary to me the vacuity of the minds of the young today.

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Its not just kids. IMHO it is about 75% of society. The one that always gets me are the people who will gladly give up 8.9% of their stash for a machine (such as Coinstar) to count their change when all they have to do is roll it up and take it to a bank, but at the same time they piss and moan about having to pay any type of sales tax to fund emergency services among other things.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
so just curious how much do you guys pay for your toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo? because i pay 10 cents tops, all sales tax...

IMHO nobody is perfect and calling someone else dumb is dumb...

how many of you older people rode around with mickey mantle baseball cards in your tire spokes?

i don't think the kid was stupid, he didn't know and he just needed money... but apparently the kid is VERY smart and listened to the teller and went and sold it for something closer to its real value...

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing said:
so just curious how much do you guys pay for your toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo? because i pay 10 cents tops, all sales tax...

IMHO nobody is perfect and calling someone else dumb is dumb...

how many of you older people rode around with mickey mantle baseball cards in your tire spokes?

i don't think the kid was stupid, he didn't know and he just needed money... but apparently the kid is VERY smart and listened to the teller and went and sold it for something closer to its real value...
I agree with this somewhat. The "not very smart" person was whoever gave it to him without explaining it's value. But again, what was said earlier is true also. There should be some common sense involved. Don't throw insults though. When older people were putting MM baseball cards in their spokes they weren't worth anything. On the other hand gold doesn't have to wait for a career to end to be valuable. Little bit of a difference there.

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
At least the kid listened. If I would have seen him "in the act", I would have directed him to the coin store. If the coin made it into the tray, I would have gone for it. Not sure if this is "situational ethics", but that's what I would have done.

Fire away.

Happy hunting.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
As for being dumb meant it in empirical sense NOT as an insult, know plenty of people who just do not seem to be able to think logically- one lady (26) who has a job takes home 280 week & yet runs up 16K on Credit cards on just useless junk- stuff- clothes and pays as much as %38.75 interest. She will never get outa debt, never!

I'm 47 never had a credit card in my life, and don't want one either; save for what I buy or don't get it, it is that simple.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
OB, nothing wrong with credit cards in the hands of a responsible consumer. No way I could have saved enough to buy my home outright,, or for that matter my automobile, and I could not have obtained a loan without having any credit history....I also never carried any kind of balance on those cards, saving thousands in interest. ffd

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Fistfulladirt said:
OB, nothing wrong with credit cards in the hands of a responsible consumer. No way I could have saved enough to buy my home outright,, or for that matter my automobile, and I could not have obtained a loan without having any credit history....I also never carried any kind of balance on those cards, saving thousands in interest. ffd

Most do NOT know how to wisely use them & they do make their money of the unwise users too. Did buy a house once could not get Bank loan as had no credit- owner owner financed as I offered 35% down, wife & I srimped- did without even furniture other than a bed & table couple chairs, put every paycheck twd balance & paid it off in 17 months- then bought home furnishings with cash.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
obediah said:
Fistfulladirt said:

Most do NOT know how to wisely use them & they do make their money of the unwise users too. Did buy a house once could not get Bank loan as had no credit- owner owner financed as I offered 35% down, wife & I srimped- did without even furniture other than a bed & table couple chairs, put every paycheck twd balance & paid it off in 17 months- then bought home furnishings with cash.

You are an exceptional couple. Great job on the home purchase.

Mojo

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
Lucky kid, could have gone a lot differently if he ran into some of the tellers I deal with down here. What amazes me is to see so many young guys and gals on this forum, going out and hustling for some silver.....I had no idea about this kind of thing when I was their age and even if I did know about it, I doubt that I would have had the common sense to appreciate such an endeavor.

My hat's off to all of you young'uns who understand what real money is :notworthy: :notworthy:.....I'm sure it's something that will stay with you for the rest of your days.

CP

Jun 20, 2009
Traverse City, MI
Im waiting for the day that my bank ladies show me a coin that is gold and said that someone turned it in. I have a whole handful of laidies who give me old coins and paper money all the time, they dont want it at all and are more than glad to give the collectables to me!!! Haven't gotten gold yet, but am waiting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread