I need to share my troubles with you all.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I'm not sure anyone else here can feel my pain, but here is my beef. Perhaps some of you can relate.

We took another family vacation last week and I planned on hitting a few Banks on the way up to the camp ground.

We pass through a couple of small towns on the way and I map quested the banks on the route the night before we left. We literally drive through the heart of these little city's on the way (35mph).

Now I understand my wife and kids not wanting to make extra stops during the drive but in my head this is opportunity knocking.

I mean if I'm 3 hours from home and I'm passing a small town bank why not pop in see what they got.

Well my wife basically said no we can't stop. as we are passing 3 banks literally across the street from each other. I could have been in and out 5 minutes ea.

She got all pissy with me so I passed those banks right by, but now I was fuming. So about 5 minutes pass and I starting to get angry because I'm thinking, WTF, I'm Driving, I'm Taking time out of my life to go camping (which I'm not particularly fond of). We are 3 hrs from home and I will not venture this far out on a road trip. This whole trip is for them. Can't I have 5, 10 or even 15 minuets to stop at a bank to possibly pay for the entire trip?

Well I couldn't contain my anger and I argued the point with her and it turned into a huge argument.

I fell like I'm right and she thinks I'm obsessed. (which I am) But come on it's just a couple of stops on the way.

This whole ugly scene would have been avoided if she could just tolerat a couple of stops. Like I do when her and the kid's got to go potty every 1/2 hour. Or I'm hungry or this or that.

I spent the 1st part of the camping trip brooding over the situation when everthing would have been fine if we could just have stopped at those banks that we crawled past on our way up.

All I could think of was missed opportunity due to the intolerance from my wife as well as some disregard for something I truly enjoy.

Maybe I'm being selfish......... But I think not.

Can anyone Relate?

Hopelessly obsessed with CRH'g Signed "Your Comrad"

Mojo

Upvote 0

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK,

Time to give you all the real scoop.

A few weeks ago:

Phone ringing
Mrs. Mojo “Hello”,
Scott “Is this Mrs. Mojo?”
Mrs Mojo “Why yes it is”
Scott “Hi, This is Scott from North of you here in Michigan, I heard you guys were planning a vacation up my way, is that true?”
Mrs. Mojo “Yes we are”
Scott “I also understand that Mr. Mojo likes to go to many banks to do his supposed CRH-ing”
Mrs. Mojo “What do you mean?”
Scott “Well, between you and me, I heard he is on the prowl, word through the grapevine is that he is checking out some of the tellers. There are a few cuties near your vacation place, and one of them I think used to be his girlfriend.
Mrs. Mojo “What??, Why the nerve..It will be a frigid day in heck before he gets to stop at another bank on my watch”
Scott “Sorry to have had to tell you, but I thought you ought to know”
Mrs. Mojo “Thanks for the update Scott, and if you hear of him stopping at another bank you let me know”
Scott “Will do, Goodbye”
Mrs. Mojo “Bye”

And that is how I got all the Michigan banks to myself.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Disclaimer, nah, I do not really know Mrs. Mojo but I thought that this would bring some humor into the situation.

Trouble is, I have not picked up a box of halves in months, but I still enjoy reading all of your adventures.

Happy Hunting all,

Scott (MI)

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
First off, I do feel your pain, but you shouldn't let your hobby rule your life or put undo stress on it. Remember that a hobby is supposed to be a fun thing. Maybe you should start a 12 step program called CRH Anonymous. I had to take a break because it was impacting my life too much and moved from the fun category to the obsessed category, not to mention the skunk category. Oh well. Good luck and HH all.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason this makes me think of the alcoholic who says I only need one more drink....it'll only take a minute.

If you are adjusting your actions/behaviors to allow you to continue your hobby, your hobby may have become an addiction...much like the alcoholic who only thinks about where their next drink is coming from or the gambler who thinks they are only a couple bets from a big win.

You may want to take a step back and look at the bigger picture to see what is important to you and make sure you haven't crossed that threshold and are losing other things you consider important. Think back to before you started CRHing (assuming you haven't done it, or at least not this much, your whole life), and try to identify if your behaviors have changed. I am not an expert on addictions, but from what I understand there are reasons for the support groups for family members affected by someone with an addiction.

I am aware of the argument that you may make a couple dollars if you happen to find a nice cache and some of you have argued the financial side to justify why it is okay to stop, but the mind is funny and it can come up with justifications for just about any action if there is enough to desire to do the action. Even if the action seems crazy to others.

Just this past week I was in California on vacation with my kids. I drove by hundreds of banks I had never been to and will likely never go to. I could have easily stopped and just told my kids I was going to do so (no wife to argue with), but it really wasn't why I was there and I think stopping would have ruined an otherwise fun vacation with my kids. Those memories are worth a lot more to me than the few silver coins I likely would have found by stopping.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
It should have been talked about prior to the trip. Now the kids have seen your reaction and obsession. Simple communication would have avoided the kids seeing this.

I can not offer any real advice, yet I am glad to see this type of problem being talked about. You would not have posted this if it has become a problem. Don't let the hobby control you and the family life. It is not worth it.

I hope you find away to work this out.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Grow a pair!
Instead of brooding:
You should have ditched them at the campground for a while, turned around, checked out the banks for silver and picked up a case of cold beer.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife tolerates my CRHing. When I talk about it she says "thats nice" or giggles (don't know what that means, shes not a teen any more, she's younger then me and I am pushin 60 :P)

I have to point out the fact that we have a lot of silver to show for it and don't take it to the bank when I start pushin up weeds ;D

We were once on a short trip and i researched some banks near our destination and she was OK with a few. On another trip to Vegas she had no problem if I went by myself. But I had to take her to the strip the next day (hate that place)

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
TXTim said:
Grow a pair!
Instead of brooding:
You should have ditched them at the campground for a while, turned around, checked out the banks for silver and picked up a case of cold beer.

;D I think I can somewhat agree. Fact is your already mad and so is she. Might as well have stopped. You'll look back in awhile and both think it was dumb. My wife hates stopping too. But when I'm pulling silver she wants to opens some rolls?????? It's no big deal now, but I'm sure it was at the time.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn Mojo....I am sorry to hear your troubles. That bites!!! Especially going through virgin territory where there is an above average chance to hit big.......you just never know.

Since you say you mapped it out prior to departing on the trip, would it have helped if you asked if she would mind leaving a 1/2 hour earlier to accommodate a stop or two? I don't think the issue here is the time of the 1/2 hour but at least your getting her involved & considering her thoughts/feelings prior to the 12th hour when you are in this town.

For the most part, my hubby is the captain of this ship here at this house, but I am often given the wheel. It is a two way street no doubt. When he comes home with a rose, plant or some cheap gesture, I know something is usually up.....lol.

Another words, if it really meant that much to you to stop (which it would have to me.... :wink:), woo her a little a day or two prior to leaving while expressing just how much it would mean to you for that 1/2 hour. I know that stuff works with me.....ha!!

I bet those banks had multiple solid silver rolls that have been sitting in that vault for umpteen years!!! Are you cringing yet.....lol....sorry Mojo.....I just had to throw that in.

Ya know, your story reminds me of a trip my hubby and I once took when I was CRH'ing heavy a couple of years back. We were on our way to our cabin when just before bank closing time I knew of a bank I had scored good in a town we were passing through. I asked him to pull in which he did. I came out with about 7 rolls of halves if I remember correctly, but most importantly one was a roll of solid silver. It sure lifted my spirits for the weekend....lol.

I hope you eventually get to those banks Mojo and I hope they are loaded with goodies. Good luck and let us know what you pull when you do get there.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
"Grow a pair!
Instead of brooding:
You should have ditched them at the campground for a while, turned around, checked out the banks for silver and picked up a case of cold beer."

- Spoken like a true texan. This is one of the funniest responses I have ever heard.

Golden Silver

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
golden silver said:
"Grow a pair!
Instead of brooding:
You should have ditched them at the campground for a while, turned around, checked out the banks for silver and picked up a case of cold beer."

- Spoken like a true texan. This is one of the funniest responses I have ever heard.

Golden Silver

and did you notice the other post backing that one up was from a fellow Texan? lol We sometimes forget people live in those other states around us for some reason.

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Wow.........

This is great. You Guy's and Gal's are great.

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to respond to this issue.
I can see some of us (all of us) have dealt with this very same situation, and have a very clear understanding of my plight.

I like the advice most of you have given me. I appreciate the Growing a pair comment but don't really believe it would have made the true problem any better.

I should have discussed my intentions before we left on the trip. I'm sure she would have been fine with it had I clued her in beforehand.

She is very aware of the small fortunes that could be made on a small stop. Just think she wanted to get to the camp ground sooner. So she placed that ahead of my desire to stop at those banks.
( family time took precedence)

I have paid some bills with my silver finds and Actually bought her a nice ring with the profits.

This was not the first time we bumped heads on this. But thanks to all your advice I think I can improve my approach the next time we set out, and come to a compromise that will be agreeable to both of us....... ? (At least on the surface.)

Stopping on The return trip was out, since that was on a Sunday, which I knew, and partially contributed to my anger.

All in all I will be allright. Especially knowing that I'm not alone with this problem.

I kinda knew this would get some responce and....... BOY WAS I RIGHT :o ....... LOL

Thanks again. I think this discussion has helped all of us. Feel free to add more. This has been very therapeutic for me.

Your humble co addicted CRH'er

Mojo

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
could give ya a long lecture how ur being an ass to your wife and kids since u liked so much calling me out for everything imaginable last month.
but i wont
however i do feel your just being childish. i hear what your saying but theres a time and place for CRH and on a family outing is not one of them. I work for a trucking company when im not a school. i go all over the northeast, sometimes 5-8 hrs away from home. I prob pass 200 banks a day. However theres no way i could stop at them and do my job right.
same situation.
kids, wife and camping should be taking up your time,
not powting because u couldnt stop.

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
ugotit22 said:
could give ya a long lecture how ur being an ass to your wife and kids since u liked so much calling me out for everything imaginable last month.
but i wont
however i do feel your just being childish. i hear what your saying but theres a time and place for CRH and on a family outing is not one of them. I work for a trucking company when im not a school. i go all over the northeast, sometimes 5-8 hrs away from home. I prob pass 200 banks a day. However theres no way i could stop at them and do my job right.
same situation.

Keith

Not saying I wasn't being childish. I was...... Your right. But I think you need to be married to really understand Where I'm coming from.

Just to add to that I was given "Permission" from my "Equal" to leave the campground to go
CRH'g but I chose to stay there and be with the "Family". I'm not a Moron.

I am a Conservative type of fellow and try to maximize potential and economics and it seemed stopping on a drive by makes more sense than dumping the family and Backtracking 50 miles. (2 hrs & gallons of gas vs a Quick stop) That doesent really make any economical sense and detracts from the camping experience as many have noted In several of the responces, to which I agree with.

Mojo

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One extra note (after reading a certain post about the wife not arguing much anymore).

When I stop arguing, its usually because I stop caring.

B

Ju8vP3t

coinmojo said:
Wow.........

This is great. You Guy's and Gal's are great.

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to respond to this issue.
I can see some of us (all of us) have dealt with this very same situation, and have a very clear understanding of my plight.

I like the advice most of you have given me. I appreciate the Growing a pair comment but don't really believe it would have made the true problem any better.

I should have discussed my intentions before we left on the trip. I'm sure she would have been fine with it had I clued her in beforehand.

She is very aware of the small fortunes that could be made on a small stop. Just think she wanted to get to the camp ground sooner. So she placed that ahead of my desire to stop at those banks.
( family time took precedence)

I have paid some bills with my silver finds and Actually bought her a nice ring with the profits.

This was not the first time we bumped heads on this. But thanks to all your advice I think I can improve my approach the next time we set out, and come to a compromise that will be agreeable to both of us....... ? (At least on the surface.)

Stopping on The return trip was out, since that was on a Sunday, which I knew, and partially contributed to my anger.

All in all I will be allright. Especially knowing that I'm not alone with this problem.

I kinda knew this would get some responce and....... BOY WAS I RIGHT :o ....... LOL

Thanks again. I think this discussion has helped all of us. Feel free to add more. This has been very therapeutic for me.

Your humble co addicted CRH'er

Mojo

Welcome :thumbsup:, it's always good to have a sounding board to run things by on.....get different opinions and such.... :icon_thumleft:

That'll be $ 87.50 for the consultation... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing7:

XX

Jan 11, 2008
You already mapped out the long route to make the drive even longer.
You drove 35 mph through small towns instead of 70 mph on the highways.
You should have finished what you started and stopped at every bank you passed. Afterall, what was another 5 minutes per bank when you already doubled the drive time.
Who cares what the family thinks. It's obvious that you already resented having to take them with.

"and I starting to get angry because I'm thinking, WTF, I'm Driving, I'm Taking time out of my life to go camping (which I'm not particularly fond of). "

Personally, I hope your wife doesn't see this thread because I can't imagine how that would go over with her.

One word.... "Karma"

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
coinmojo said:
ugotit22 said:
but i wont
same situation.

Keith

Not saying I wasn't being childish. I was...... Your right. But I think you need to be married to really understand Where I'm coming from.

Just to add to that I was given "Permission" from my "Equal" to leave the campground to go
CRH'g but I chose to stay there and be with the "Family". I'm not a Moron.

I am a Conservative type of fellow and try to maximize potential and economics and it seemed stopping on a drive by makes more sense than dumping the family and Backtracking 50 miles. (2 hrs & gallons of gas vs a Quick stop) That doesent really make any economical sense and detracts from the camping experience as many have noted In several of the responces, to which I agree with.

Mojo

trust me if the merc magnet has her way il be joining u in married life sooner then later

OP
OP
coinmojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
XX said:
You already mapped out the long route to make the drive even longer.
You drove 35 mph through small towns instead of 70 mph on the highways.
You should have finished what you started and stopped at every bank you passed. Afterall, what was another 5 minutes per bank when you already doubled the drive time.
Who cares what the family thinks. It's obvious that you already resented having to take them with.

"and I starting to get angry because I'm thinking, WTF, I'm Driving, I'm Taking time out of my life to go camping (which I'm not particularly fond of). "

Personally, I hope your wife doesn't see this thread because I can't imagine how that would go over with her.

One word.... "Karma"

Not sure if your tying to be funny? But the wife knows I don't like camping. She really don't like it all that muck either. It's an annual event that her extended famly does.

And I took the fastest possible route to get there. I just checked for the banks on that route on mapquest. I followed highyway US23 that hugs lake Huron, we passed through 4 small towns Alabaster, Tawas City, Au Sable & Oscoda. The camp ground was on the Au Sable River that spills into Lake Huron. Near Wurtsmith Air Force Base near Oscoda Michigan

I am a firm believer of Karma. and someday It will believe in me.

Mojo

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am glad my wife likes the hobby and she would have let me stop, but even if she did not like the hobby she would have been kind enough to let me stop. Marriage is a two way give and take street. She needs to quit being so selfish and just deal with the fact you are CRHing to build up a silver horde. I have sold silver many times to pay bills, cover emergencies etc........it is not just selling silver so I can go out and play money.

I think you should have just stopped, what could she do? Your the husband, your driving and in control. Sorry your wife is so selfish man. You hate camping, she hates CRHing, looks like YOU are the ONLY one to be compromising here. Sorry "my man"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions