Well It had to happen. Bad day for me. ( "update" )

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Well It had to happen. Bad day for me. ( "update" )

I know some of you have had worse days / luck. But It really hurts when this happens to you.

I picked up a bag of dimes today 1k. They are usually short a couple of dollars. I haven't had a good score in month's on these bags.

Well today this bag was really short. Or wasn't it?

I take those bag's straight to my dump bank because their machine DOES discriminate all the silver and Foreign coins out so it's just a matter of pickup and dump. No tedious searching involved.

So I get to my dump bank and began to run that bag through, and the machine fills up @ about $340 into it. The whole time it's rejecting about 30% of everything and I have to keep reaching into the reject slot and grab handfulls of dimes and place them back into the feeder.

So the lady comes out to replace the bin. ( this machine has a single square metal box that holds around 500# of coin, It all dumps into it and the courier verify the count elsewhere.) and puts in a new bin.

I continue with my dump and end I up with $949.55 ouch.

Now I'm thinking my buy was off, but $50 is pretty extreme.

So I print my receipt and it shows $948.70 in dimes and $.85 in pennies ? And I ended up with $3.50 in Canadian dimes.

Well I have had dimes counted as pennies before but never that many. And on average the bags have been short $4 or $5 normally due to this fact as well as an abundance of Canadian which gets rejected. And I can account for it.

I take it up to the Teller that helped the other woman change out the box. I told here there must be a problem with the machine and Could I talk to the other woman about it and she told me that she had left already. She then went to talk to someone else about it and they told her they had to verify the contents. ( The pick up people whom she described as the Fed's ) and of course it will take some time depending how busy they were. Like at least a week.

I'm feeling really screwed at this moment because no one really knew what to do. Except for the lady who left. So I told them to run A xerox copy of my receipt and I wrote a statement claiming my bag was believed to have contained $1000 in Dimes. I noted that it counted $.85 in pennies and i had @ tellers go back to the machine and look at the contents of the bin inside the machine to show them that there were no pennies in my batch. Which they obliged. And low and behold there were none so that they can back up my ascertain that i did not run any through.

I know what you should all be thinking at this moment, I thought of it too Which is what complicates this whole mess even more. The first part of the dump is in the other bin which they locked with a padlock when they pulled it out and only the pick up source has a key too. So they and I both agreed that even though the new box contained only Dimes the other box could surly have contained $.85 in pennies. Which I of course admitted makes this a unique and complicated Dilemma.

Both boxes now have to be audited. I told them that the Machine is obviously in need of Calibration Because it was systematically was rejecting 20 to 30 % of everything I ran through it. not to mention the shortage and dimes counted as pennies.

So I got my Cash $949.55 and left with a promise that they will get back to me within a week, (Hopefully) And me feeling like I am totally Screwed.

The other issue is Did the bank that I bought from short me, or did my dump bank short me?

Due to the large $'s of shortage and the high number of phantom pennies counted and the rejection rate of 1/3 of everything. I got to believe the machine screwed me.

I got out to the car and had a thought? I went back in and tried to talk again to the teller who was taking my complaint. She was in back & when she came out I suggested that maybe we could quarantine the coins that were in the new box ( which at that point were only my dump ) and help with my case. And just then another customer walked up and dumped a big jar of coins in and started her up.... WA WA WA. WE all looked over and I said well I guess that can't happen now. Threw up my arms and left.

These tellers all know me I have been in this bank many times over the last 4 years. They acknowledged that during the debate. None of them could ever remember a situation like the one I'm am in. We all acknowledged that it probably won't be favorable to me. And they felt bad that it happened.

We shall see.

I am tottally sick.

Mojo

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Re: Well It had to happen. Bad day for me.

Turned into my dump bank the exact count of 4 Boxes that were total SKUNKs, turned them in in Bags to be counted by the Fed they said, when it was credited to my account it was 9.50 short & I KNOW it was not short; if this keeps up of course will go another route, got another 4 Boxes to dump that wer total SKUNKS- we shall see. Frank in Tn. :icon_scratch:

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Re: Well It had to happen. Bad day for me. ( "update" )

I'm glad everything came together for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread