The numbers are in! Recent penny boxes

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
Recent penny numbers:

Here are the results from my most recent boxes of pennies. The Box #'s are my own reference #'s, so don't worry about them. A few cool finds have been a 1920 Wheat, a 2001 “Un Centesimo De Balboa” from Panama (Clad), A 1961 (4292 on the coin) Korean 10 Hwan (95% Copper). I’m still educating myself as to key dates and what errors to look out for with pennies (as well as halves) so as I learn more and more what to look out for I’ll have some more interesting finds to report!

Box 4: Copper: 439
Wheat: 3
Log Cabins: 23
Rail Splitters: 0
1982 Copper: 16
1982 Zinc: 29
Canadians 1

Box 5: Copper: 455
Wheat: 9
Log Cabins: 14
1982 Copper: 34
1982 Zinc: 25
Canadians 2

Box 6: Copper: 523
Wheat: 15
Log Cabins: 14
1982 Copper: 20
1982 Zinc: 20
Canadians 1

Box 7: Copper: 469
Wheat: 2
Log Cabins: 21
1982 Copper: 26
1982 Zinc: 30
Canadians 6

I’ve been debating whether or not to pop the cabins on e-bay, considering I have so many of them coming in. Still hanging on to my lone rail-splitter – it seems they haven’t made their way in to circulation here in SoCal yet.

Total Averages (5 Boxes):
Copper: 457.2
Wheat: 7.2
Cabins: 17.6
Rail Splitters: 0.2
82 Copper (Avg for 4 boxes): 24
82 Zinc (Avg for 4 boxes): 26
Canadians: 2

Have fun! :icon_thumright:
George

Upvote 0

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
hey now that's totally like I want to see the results, numbers, percents, ratios!! sweeet!! keep up the hunting and good posting!!

Wirebender

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
That is a nice couple of boxes. :thumbsup:
The wheat count is lower than mine and we live in the same area. :dontknow:
I have been getting about 25 give or take per box this last month, and the Log Cabins
I am Lucky to get one every two boxes.
Do you save the 82 zinc?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Omega, from my experience about 80% of the 82's are copper. Weighing them is the sure-fire way to tell the difference, but from handling so many I can tell by the feel. The copper planchets have a more noticeable rim versus the zinc planchets. Either the striking pressure is greater for the copper, I'm not sure but I'm fairly accurate with my method. I still weigh the take anyway and a few zincolns slip through. Remember, the mint produced the copper planchet up until October of that year when they switched.

OP
OP
Silversound

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
Hey Wirebender - thanks! You rock!

OmegaMan - Thanks for the heads up about wheat content. With regards to the 82 zinc, yes I keep them. I'm in the process of writing a full report on the 82 penny, as there are about 8 different varieties of the 82 penny and I'm certain that at least one or two must be extremely rare, though I've had a hard time finding accurate mintage numbers for all the different versions. I just posted a mini report on my numbers so far after doing 6 full boxes.

George

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Diver_Down said:
Omega, from my experience about 80% of the 82's are copper. Weighing them is the sure-fire way to tell the difference, but from handling so many I can tell by the feel. The copper planchets have a more noticeable rim versus the zinc planchets. Either the striking pressure is greater for the copper, I'm not sure but I'm fairly accurate with my method. I still weigh the take anyway and a few zincolns slip through. Remember, the mint produced the copper planchet up until October of that year when they switched.
Thanks for the info. I drop the 82s on a glass table, if they pass the copper sound I keep them, if I'm not sure they go back in the wild. I should really get a scale.

Bill

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Silversound said:
Hey Wirebender - thanks! You rock!

OmegaMan - Thanks for the heads up about wheat content. With regards to the 82 zinc, yes I keep them. I'm in the process of writing a full report on the 82 penny, as there are about 8 different varieties of the 82 penny and I'm certain that at least one or two must be extremely rare, though I've had a hard time finding accurate mintage numbers for all the different versions. I just posted a mini report on my numbers so far after doing 6 full boxes.

George
I have never noticed there were eight different varieties of 82s. I just looked in the Red book
and you are right. I only use the book for older coins. I guess an old dog can learn something new.

Thanks for the Info.

Bill

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
OmegaMan said:
Diver_Down said:
Thanks for the info. I drop the 82s on a glass table, if they pass the copper sound I keep them, if I'm not sure they go back in the wild. I should really get a scale.

Bill

Take a pile and note the rims. Some zincolns will have a diminutive rim that makes me think they are the copper. However, all the copper 82's have the rim (some are very pronounced). Most if not all 82 zincolns will be have a flat rim. I've not seen copper 82's that have the flat rim. Check it out for yourself and confirm your results with a hobby scale. They are cheap enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread