MVC-016S.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul SC......everyone should have some black halves for their collection.....lol.

I have no idea what's up with the black halves. I showed one to a guy who is very knowledgeable on coins and he felt they were water damaged?? It seems to me they would have to sit in water a very long time to get this way.

The ones I have are so thick with this black gunk it peels off in layers.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
as an old school coin collector i was always told never to clean coins, i did however, wash the two bens with soap and water and used a mild sponge to clean these two coins. and it happened just like you said, the black gunk came off in layers. if coins could talk imagine the stories they could tell

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often wonder myself about who handled these coins back in the day......what kind of lives they had......yes, if only they could tell their stories.

I love listening to the elderly talk about the lives they had when they were young.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
that is one of the things that got me interested in collecting as a kid. my grandfather gave me some old coins he had. not much but it sparked an interest. my dad is a coin collector too. my grandfather used to tell me stories about how ALL dimes, quarters, halves and dollars were silver. hard to imagine a life without CLAD.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I got the black halves too in my last group of boxes. 1000 miles to the North.

Wow....do you think it could be from the same batch? That is wild!!

silvercop said:
that is one of the things that got me interested in collecting as a kid. my grandfather gave me some old coins he had. not much but it sparked an interest. my dad is a coin collector too. my grandfather used to tell me stories about how ALL dimes, quarters, halves and dollars were silver. hard to imagine a life without CLAD.

I wish I would have started as a kid. Just curious, what were the coins your grandfather gave you?

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Silvercop,

Those silver coins were still in circulation when you were a little kid. Nobody saved them.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the buffalo and indians were not circulating when i was a kid. at least not around here. i was born in 1967, so maybe you thought i was older than i am.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the kennedy halves were though, but you almost never saw any. don't see many out in the wild today outside of a bank. i have thought many times how fun it would be to go back in time before the 1995, 1976, 1nd 1971 kennedy halves. i hate those 3 dates. seems i always find a ton of them

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Lj,

I always enjoyed talking to elderly people as well. I was lucky to have grandparents that lived well into their 90's. The tales they would tell.
My grandfather as a kid went to see Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. Before he passed away, I video taped him telling the story of his life.
I remember my great-grandfather as well. He was born in the 1870's. Used to give me a handfull of pennies when he came over.(wheaties).

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Silvercop,

In 1967 I was a teenager and I remember getting buffalo nickels, mercury dimes,and silver quarters in change. Nobody saved them. As a kid my mother would send me to the store with a half a dollar either a Walker or Franklin. When my grandmother cae to visit she would give me a Walker or a Franklin. I think people would save Kennedys because I never remember seeing them. Never got an IH or V nickel but every so often would get a SLQ. I just would spend them.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
guess i did not start to spend money until i was about 5 years old, or at least pay any attention to it. that would have been about 1972. and as i said my dad is a big collector, and if any were around he probably snatched them up before i got to get them. i started collecting coins when i was about 8 years old. that was about 1975. i can still remember going to the local coin shop with my dad and spending hours. the owner of that shop is no longer living and his son runs it now, he does not sell many coins he mostly sells jewlery and runs an upscale pawn shop. well, didn't mean to ramble, but it just brought back some good memories

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Lj,
I always enjoyed talking to elderly people as well. I was lucky to have grandparents that lived well into their 90's. The tales they would tell.
My grandfather as a kid went to see Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. Before he passed away, I video taped him telling the story of his life. I remember my great-grandfather as well. He was born in the 1870's. Used to give me a handfull of pennies when he came over.(wheaties).

That video you mentioned about his life story is a treasure in itself. Nice work there RH. That is so cool about him seeing Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. If you ever feel like making a copy of it, I know someone who would like to see it....hint.... :wink: I enjoy the history so much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread