Newbie with questions......

Silverbelle

Greenie
Aug 12, 2009
:help:
I just found your wonderful forum this morning and have been reading for HOURS!
I have some quick (and maybe dumb) questions..

1) Brinks boxes of halves... do I just go to my bank and place an order??
2) After I go through them, how do I "dump" them? I'm guessing not bring back to the same bank b/c they would be annoyed with me and because I may get the sames ones again the next week?? Or do the boxes come from another source?
3)Should I open multiple savings accounts at different banks or just keep ordering from my personal banks? (I have 2).
4) I plan to start with only halves. I printed out the guide on the beginner's thread. Is there a simple source that explains any special years etc that I should look for as I go?

Sorry so many questions :dontknow:

I'm from the New Orleans area and my 12 yr old son and I started a simple coin collection a couple of years ago. I recently started purchasing silver coins/bars to build up as much as I can. I figure this could help me boost my silver numbers and spend time with my son.

Thanks!
Silverbelle

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are going to do halves, here are a few tips which I have used.
#1 Always take your son into the bank with you(the tellers love to help kids with coins)
#2 Unless you really want a lot of accounts, your 2 should be fine.
#3 Call around and ask about coin counters and their rules. No fees are the key to success.
#4 Ask the vault teller at your 2 banks if they can order you boxes(or bags if you are lucky).
Boxes are $500 and bags are usually $1000. Depending upon where your bank gets their change from will determine what kind of boxes you will get(both are good).
Ideally you should find a dump bank which you can dispose of your rejects without having to re-roll them.
As far as what to keep, you will get 100s of answers. If you are hoarding silver, keep anything from 1970 or earlier.
1965-1970 Kennedy halves are 40% silver by weight and worth approx. $2 right now.
1964 Kennedys and 1963 and before Franklins,Walkers,Barbers are 90% silver and worth about $5 right now.
Happy Hunting, Jim

OP
OP
S

Silverbelle

Greenie
Aug 12, 2009
coolpix9 said:
If you are going to do halves, here are a few tips which I have used.
#1 Always take your son into the bank with you(the tellers love to help kids with coins)
#2 Unless you really want a lot of accounts, your 2 should be fine.
#3 Call around and ask about coin counters and their rules. No fees are the key to success.
#4 Ask the vault teller at your 2 banks if they can order you boxes(or bags if you are lucky).
Boxes are $500 and bags are usually $1000. Depending upon where your bank gets their change from will determine what kind of boxes you will get(both are good).
Ideally you should find a dump bank which you can dispose of your rejects without having to re-roll them.
As far as what to keep, you will get 100s of answers. If you are hoarding silver, keep anything from 1970 or earlier.
1965-1970 Kennedy halves are 40% silver by weight and worth approx. $2 right now.
1964 Kennedys and 1963 and before Franklins,Walkers,Barbers are 90% silver and worth about $5 right now.
Happy Hunting, Jim

Thanks so much! A couple more if you don't mind...
The bank won't think I'm crazy if I order like one box/bag per week or more?
Also, please explain "clad" and why it is important.
Thanks again!

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
The banks will order however much that you make them comfortable with. They might start you with one and see if you pick it up and then they will let you increase your order. Some of us are getting up to 20 boxes a week from the same bank(That's only 530 pounds of coins you have to lug out of the bank,search and lug back into the bank)

To quote my grand pa Clad Sux. They are a necessary evil of half searchers but they are a pain in the butt. Clad is a shortened acronym for copper cladded coins. Jim

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
Welcome!

You may discover that it's cheaper to open additional checking accts., not savings accts. Most banks these days are offering free checking with a small upfront deposit(which you can take back out after a few days).

For the size of the city, I think NOLA is really under-represented on this forum. I'm really anxious to see how the area pans out for you. I bet you'll be getting a lot of those black and rusty "Katrina Halves", I've had great luck with them.

As everyone will attest on this board, Louisiana has a pretty good track record.

OP
OP
S

Silverbelle

Greenie
Aug 12, 2009
wharghoul said:
Welcome!

You may discover that it's cheaper to open additional checking accts., not savings accts. Most banks these days are offering free checking with a small upfront deposit(which you can take back out after a few days).

For the size of the city, I think NOLA is really under-represented on this forum. I'm really anxious to see how the area pans out for you. I bet you'll be getting a lot of those black and rusty "Katrina Halves", I've had great luck with them.

As everyone will attest on this board, Louisiana has a pretty good track record.

Good to know! I called my bank and they have a full box minus one roll that someone purchased. I think I'll go and get $500 worth, come home and check and if I get anything, I'll go back for the rest. My bank is 5 min away.
thanks again guys, I'll give ya'll an update tomorrow!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard SB!! I see Papa has fixed you up with a little education. He is like EF Hutton.....when he talks......I listen. Good luck out there....it's just waiting for you. Be persistent and you will persevere. Keep us posted.

BTW Papa - I see you changed your avatar. What is the story? Who is that cute boy? Do tell.............

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
silverbell dont let LJ fool ya, she has already gotten all the silver in your area, sorry to break the news to ya but it's all gone. sorry :'( :'(

OP
OP
S

Silverbelle

Greenie
Aug 12, 2009
silvercop said:
silverbell dont let LJ fool ya, she has already gotten all the silver in your area, sorry to break the news to ya but it's all gone. sorry :'( :'(

Well, fortunatley for me, she missed one 40% half that I found today!!! :laughing7:

Hey LJ, ever come down to New Orleans/St. Tammany?

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silverbelle said:
silvercop said:

Well, fortunatley for me, she missed one 40% half that I found today!!! :laughing7:

Silverbelle said:
silvercop said:

Yep, I hunt there everyday....even weekends & holidays!!! Forget about the Katrina halves because I got em all......I am in every bank in the area on a weekly basis....surprised we haven't bumped into each other. There is no silver left. I did leave ya some bicentennials though. I hear they will carry a small premium one day so you had better grab while you can before I start hoarding those too.

How did I let a 40% slip by.......hmmmmmmm??

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just kidding SB.......lol.

Yes, I go to New Orleans quite often.....I like to party in the French Quarter....Bourbon Street!! I love Cafe de Monde.......Jackson Square.......French Market (but not in the summer...too hot)......sitting out by the river walk.....Pat O's and their hurricanes, but only one....phew!! More than one and I get red in the face just thinking about what happens/happened.....ha!!

Anyway, get to work out there and you will have a stash of silver in no time. Good luck and keep us posted with pictures.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
LJ said:
Yes, I go to New Orleans quite often.....I like to party in the French Quarter....Bourbon Street!! I get red in the face just thinking about what happens/happened.....ha!!

Thought those were beads around your neck.......... 8)

Mojo

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After partying you go to Cafe Du Monde for Beignets and strong cup of Cafe Au Lait....ummmm, but you have to knock some of the powdered sugar off of the beignets....lol. They get a little crazy with that stuff.

Ju8vP3t said:
Bienvenue a bord de 'Belle... :hello:

Need a little translation here. I know "bienvenue" means welcome but not sure about the rest of it??

Attachments

• CafeDuMonde.jpg
    CafeDuMonde.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 123
  • cafeaulait.jpg
    cafeaulait.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Beignet.jpg
    Beignet.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 123

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread