What do you pay per roll from your banks for halfs. Local banks want 10c PerRoll

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
My first day collecting, in Bronx NY...

I visited about 10 banks trying to make friends, and I convinced one clerk to sell me her personal accumulated collection out of her "personal draw" she said she was collecting for years. Before I could even offer her $100 bucks for her greenish colored ziplock bag full of greatness she says "Gimi 50 bucks for them all, I know what there worth ya know." so I tried not to smile or smirk in a bad way; negotiated the price down five bucks and gave her $3 bucks for a few dimes and quarter and nickel. I told her when she gets more to call me ill pay you double for each. I paid $48 total.

noname.jpg

Last week I picked up a 1852 gold USD for 5cents.. YES!! 5 cents, some girl headed to college selling off her "junk that her grandfather left her" she must have thought it was fake, most of the crap was fake but the coin wasn't. That's what got me into coins. I had a small collection when I was a kid partially left to me by granpa but I SPENT THEM!! Mostly on video games :(

Normally I am pretty lucky. Getting that women to even show me the stash of 'special' coins took me taking out a big wad of 50's. I also got three two dollar bills all from 1976, one super crispy.

Anyhow, I want to buy a box of $500 half's and every bank wants to charge me something. The cheapest was 10 cents per role from Bank of America. Chase wanted 25 cents per roll!!

How in the world can I get a bank to give me $500 in half's at face value without charging me a per roll fee..? The way you guys talk about picking up boxes of halfs like they are nothing makes me feel like you guys arent paying a fee.

So whats the general consensus on paying fees to buy rolls to sort?

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!
In my area BoA will order all I want at no charge. I will never pay a fee for coin. No bank has ever even suggested it. I feel for you folks that have to pay.

OP
OP
A

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
enamel7 said:
Welcome aboard!
In my area BoA will order all I want at no charge. I will never pay a fee for coin. No bank has ever even suggested it. I feel for you folks that have to pay.

Where are you located? The only coin they want me to pay for is halfs for some reason.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
asbjunk said:
How in the world can I get a bank to give me $500 in half's at face value without charging me a per roll fee..? The way you guys talk about picking up boxes of halfs like they are nothing makes me feel like you guys arent paying a fee.

Question #1./ Move outa the Bronx, maybe even NYC, I've never had a Bank ask for money for coins.

Q #2./ My general consensus is ain't gonna pay for coins to search, have had too many skunks & Boxes that only produced 1 or 3 coins.

Of course if you can't move you might try a box or three for 10 cents a roll & if they have alota Silver it may be worth it for a while, who knows till you do it once or twice. :dontknow:

OP
OP
A

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
obediah said:
asbjunk said:

Question #1./ Move outa the Bronx, maybe even NYC, I've never had a Bank ask for money for coins.

Q #2./ My general consensus is ain't gonna pay for coins to search, have had too many skunks & Boxes that only produced 1 or 3 coins.

Of course if you can't move you might try a box or three for 10 cents a roll & if they have alota Silver it may be worth it for a while, who knows till you do it once or twice. :dontknow:

You guys still didn't answer what area you get your boxes from..?

$5 per 1000 coins. Maybe I'll hit big with em, prob not though. Reason they charge is the weight, and cost of fuel and transportation and such in the area. One local chase bank offered to buy me whatever coins I want as long as they have "room" left in there weekly order.

We should try to make a list of banks which are easy to order boxes or bags from. Maybe a smaller bank is in my area that's on your list that I can use.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion on the matter is this. You have banks that do alot of business and you have the ones that are usually slow. The banks doing lots of business already order lots of coin and it doesn't cost them any more to order for you. The slow banks may not order every week. This being the case, they have to pass the charge to you if they are only ordering for you. The vault manager's boss would frown if they find out money is being spent that shouldn't be. I use 2 BoAs that are very busy and order lots of coin. they don't mind a bit. They even order extra boxes of other coin "just in case" I might want some. That reminds me, I need to pick up some cookies for them.
HH
Gilbert

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
You did pretty good buying the tellers stash :thumbsup:
Don't pay a box fee. Just call the various banks and see which one does not charge a fee. You might have to go outside of NYC.
I'm from Connecticut but I rarely hunt for coins there. Too many tellers cherry pick. I go to Massachusetts,Rhode Island, and occasionally New York.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Must be something about NYC, I know another guy on another forum that can't even get a box fee or not. Like the OP said, pay the fee a couple times and see if its worth it. I just got hit with the F word (fee) last Friday at a bank I been getting boxes at for 2 years, vault teller just found out they were being charged all this time. I told her to put ME down for next time and I'll pay the fee then we'll see from there. I have had a pretty good run with them and want to take them some special candy anyways, may as well pick up some coin. I think banks are starting to look at things like this.
HH all, Mark

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Re: What do you pay per roll from your banks for halfs. Local banks want 10c Per

Alright, you're new so we'll let you off this time, we NEED pictures of the gold coin buddy! :wink: Also that's a crazy find. In silver you have about like $215. Great job. I just wonder why you had to haggle her down to $48? I mean she could've gotten mad and just kept it for herself, all because of $2? But great finds! :headbang:

OP
OP
A

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
Re: What do you pay per roll from your banks for halfs. Local banks want 10c Per

DAS7NY said:
Alright, you're new so we'll let you off this time, we NEED pictures of the gold coin buddy! :wink: Also that's a crazy find. In silver you have about like $215. Great job. I just wonder why you had to haggle her down to $48? I mean she could've gotten mad and just kept it for herself, all because of $2? But great finds! :headbang:

I will get a picture up of the 1852 dollar tonight or tomorrow.

I haggled down because thats how I roll..... pun.. She was dumping the coins to me, I had them in my hands literally while I haggled, she was commited.

OP
OP
A

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
Rich Hartford said:
You did pretty good buying the tellers stash :thumbsup:
Don't pay a box fee. Just call the various banks and see which one does not charge a fee. You might have to go outside of NYC.
I'm from Connecticut but I rarely hunt for coins there. Too many tellers cherry pick. I go to Massachusetts,Rhode Island, and occasionally New York.

A buddy of mine referred me to a local private bank with 8 branches in new jersey, and they all send coin to one main bank for rolling and sending off to whomever to get credit.

I arranged to come once a week and collect there loose half dollars to save them the time and money it takes to process them. She said between $200 and $4000 per week in customer half dollar deposits. Hopefully old people dep thier reserves :)

Ohh and I found a CitiBank in NJ that's gona order anything I want and they seemed excited to do so, NO charge. I got $3,000 coming thursday in HDC.

OP
OP
A

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
Here's a picture of what I got from a box and a half from the private bank im in bed with.

Bunch of 67 halfs, where is the mint letter btw? A few 66s in the middle of picture.

Took me an hour to sort $750. A lot of the 1967 coins have fake clad rings on the outside. I checked the coins just by looking at the rim. Do you guys check the dates or the rims?

fupa.jpg

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I've had tellers offer to order coins for me here and in Kentucky, no fees attached, but I haven't yet. I'll probably be ordering soon enough though.

I check dates. I've been fooled by rims to many times.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
A

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
How do I tell a proof from a regular 1966 or 1967 silver half dollar?

Is there any site that shows sample images of what to look for in half dollars? I know about 74D double die coins from treasurenet faq thread. But what are the others and what exactly do they look like?

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
asbjunk said:
Bunch of 67 halfs, where is the mint letter btw?

A lot of the 1967 coins have fake clad rings on the outside.

Do you guys check the dates or the rims?

No mint mark for 1967

Interesting why someone would Draw a line around the edge.? :icon_scratch: I can see it in your photo.

I Edge search primarily.

Mojo

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
BTW did you know every thing is different in nyc? pricing on items, even sales at stores are different, its a place of its own...

OP
OP
A

asbjunk

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
coinmojo said:
asbjunk said:
Bunch of 67 halfs, where is the mint letter btw?

A lot of the 1967 coins have fake clad rings on the outside.

Do you guys check the dates or the rims?

No mint mark for 1967

Interesting why someone would Draw a line around the edge.? :icon_scratch: I can see it in your photo.

I Edge search primarily.

Mojo

It was certainly done at the mint, seems to be a third of the cions have them. It mimics the looks of a non silver coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread