Where did all the silver come from???

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Some of us have been lucky enough to have some major scores lately. I also notice that the vast majority have been 40%ers...very little 90%. What are your theories on what's going on?

I am stuggling to understand what's going on. Based on what I am seeing, it appears that major qualtities of 40%ers are being dumped. The part that confuses me is that I can't see why someone would dump such a massive quantity of 40%...my sense is that they'd know what they're worth.

OK, let the theories fly. Let's see if we can explain this! I am open to your thoughts.

One day, I hope someone writes a book on CRH. They could title it "The last great silver rush".

Happy hunting everyone. Be well.

STDevil

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of these major finds but I have yet see any of these finds :icon_scratch:

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
When you go to the bank and find a roll with a few silvers, particularly with older coins like Bens and Walkers, I think it is the economy and people rather go out and buy a new shirt then have some coins lying around a drawer. When we start talking about large scores like 100 or more in a box, my theory is that these coins have always been in what I call "underground circulation", that is within the bank coin system, and they simply have never been taken out. Of course, some are recently re-entering from peoples homes, but I suspect many have been around for a longtime and have yet to be pulled.

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Mintage is extremely high during the 60's the most is 1967 295,046,978. So there's a good chance of finding 40%ers. Another thing is 40%ers are just a small premium around 1.50 to 2.50 on average whether on ebay or a coin store. So some people just are not going to waste their time driving all over town for the best deal on 40%ers they just rather cash them in at the bank.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have a theory also. some of the old time hard core CRHers will only keep the 90%ers and throw back the 40%ers as they feel they aren't worth it . that plus the fact that many people think only coins 1964 and earlier are silver. they do not realize that doesn't include halfs.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
With money as tight as it is nowadays, I don't buy the theory that people are just cashing them in because they are too lazy to get more money. In these cases, I believe that the people are unaware that the post 64 coins are silver. I talk about my CRHing with all my friends and never has one been aware of post 64 halves having any silver before I mentioned it to them.

So I think as people get desperate for cash they are cashing in their coin collections (minus the "silver" coins). Which means we are getting all their post 64 halves, which includes the infamous bicentennials that they also saved up.

Any CRHer who would toss back 40%ers does not do so today. Maybe 10 years ago, but not now. If they did, they would not be finding enough to keep themselves interested. It is hard enough when you do keep 40%ers.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions