Strange rolls in my first "skunk" Brinks box...

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Strange rolls in my first "skunk" Brinks box...

CRH.jpg
OK, conspiracy theories aside...
This was a sealed, new Brinks box. No damage, tampering or tape overs.
But every roll was weakly machine crimped on one end. Some had an end flap that laid flat, over the face of the end coin. Others were as pictured with lumpy, loose rolls. Any ideas?

Not that I think there is any correlation between loose crimps and silver content, but it does make it that much more noticeable!

On a good note, this box had the fewest crimp damaged coins I've seen yet...

[sorry for the crappy cellphone pix]

Upvote 0

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Strange rolls in my first "skunk" Brinks box...

Are you sure it was an original seal from Brinks? That right there is the tell-tale sign of someone uncrimping one of the ends, searching the contents and recrimping the roll. But, by the looks of it they did a PRETTY bad job covering their tracks.

-Codes

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

That thought crossed my mind, but the picture is a worst case. If it was a "repack", I would expect to see more than the one layer of tape on the box - it was a single layer of untouched/unbroken box tape. So, if it was searched, it was before sealing, or a new box was used and taped over. I have 5 other boxes on hand and there were no differences I could see.
:dontknow:

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100

Fredness said:
That thought crossed my mind, but the picture is a worst case. If it was a "repack", I would expect to see more than the one layer of tape on the box - it was a single layer of untouched/unbroken box tape. So, if it was searched, it was before sealing, or a new box was used and taped over. I have 5 other boxes on hand and there were no differences I could see.
:dontknow:

If the above picture was the worst case, I think you just got an adjustment to the rolling machine. Every now and then I get a sloppy roll.

HH,
65GT350

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

Thanks...

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I very often.....including today recieve boxes like that, most of the rolls are like that and i can say that doesnt mean they are searched......

Todays box was a skunk but a box i got 2 weeks ago had alot of rolls like that.....and those were the rolls i found the most silver in........pulled 12 40% and a 90% from it

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like the machines were doing a bad job of crimping.

OP
OP
Fredness

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

alpha105 said:
Todays box was a skunk but a box i got 2 weeks ago had alot of rolls like that.....and those were the rolls i found the most silver in........pulled 12 40% and a 90% from it
Good to hear!
Thanks

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Looks like a re roll to me. The sloppy rolls will be tight and may have a flap of paper over the coin. rerolls can be tight as well as loose. Sloppy rolls are always tight

da1984

Apr 3, 2009

alpha105 said:
I very often.....including today recieve boxes like that, most of the rolls are like that and i can say that doesnt mean they are searched......

Agreed, I've been through over 100 brinks boxes and some of my best boxes had lots of rolls like this which contained lots of silver. Strange but true.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yep all my brinks boxes have rolls like that and they are not searched...todays sloppy wrapped box had 13 silvers in it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread