Are we killing coins by searching boxes?

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
So, here are some givens:
We search sealed boxes of machine wrapped coins.
We know that one end of the wrapper is pre-formed and loaded in to the counting machine, the coins are counted/dispensed and in a separate step, the crimper presses the roll tight, and applies the final roll crimp.
We also know that many coins are damaged in this process - but I'll say 1 in 10 rolls for this example.

Now, with 20 coins per roll, there is a 1 in 10 chance of the open end coin getting damaged.
Each time the coin is subject to our "catch and release" it gets stored in the bank vault until it goes back to the vendor, where it is mechanically sorted, counted and rolled again, increasing the chance of more damage.

Discuss...

Upvote 0

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Kinda funny how some folks get the ole panties in a wad about a sharpie mark on a clad half, yet have no problems with deep grooves and gashes from the rolling machine, and salivating at the thought of selling their silver collection for melt :dontknow:... Gpurs....

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have been getting melted for years by the thousands upon thousands upon thousands, day in and day out but who knows how many of which years??........No one! I have a 1962 Ben Franlin in front of me right now. Is it the last one in existence? Are there 9 others left, 900..........9,000?? Could be worth a fortune to a collector if we just knew how many were left. A lot of "collectors" hold on to the 1970 halves because of the low mint numbers but, in all actuality, because the others are getting melted down, the other dates could become more rare. So...........dump the 1970's and hold on to the rest if you want "Rare". ;D

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why I will probably hang onto all 90% and keep the nicest 40%. The others will be shipped off the the smelter to make my holdings more "rare" :)

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
GPURS said:
Kinda funny how some folks get the ole panties in a wad about a sharpie mark on a clad half, yet have no problems with deep grooves and gashes from the rolling machine, and salivating at the thought of selling their silver collection for melt :dontknow:... Gpurs....

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I see your point but there is a slight differance. I AU clad coin just dropped into circulation passes through the machine can still be picked up by a collector in good condition. If some guy puts a big ole sharpie mark across Ken that eliminates that possiblity. This is a fight the coin markers have already won however due to the fact there is no way for those who disagree to stop it. The argument is just for the sake of agruing I guess.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
silvercop said:
i have never understood why it's ok to melt silver coins and not ok to melt pennies :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

I would imagine that it has to do with how much the Gov. has to spend to make new pennies at a loss.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread