One Mans Trash is Another Mans Treasure

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

Need to get rid of some of your dumps? Want to make some easy cash? Sell them at auction. Don't bother with eBay as the online bidders are smart enough to recognize junk. Go to a local auctioneer and consign. Recently, I just tested the waters of the idea. Filled a Whitman with $17 face of clad. The coins were in average condition. Ended up selling for over $60. The auctioneer gets 30% commission. Not a huge score, but enough to make it worthwhile. It won't get rid of all your dumps (I search 8K/week), but it is like free money.

Upvote 0

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Re: One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

Went to the last coin show and one table has a bucket of normal average halves I would dump with a sign that read " You Pick: $1 Each." I started laughing... No one bought any though. :D

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

DAS7NY said:
Went to the last coin show and one table has a bucket of normal average halves I would dump with a sign that read " You Pick: $1 Each." I started laughing... No one bought any though. :D

You have to avoid the knowledgeable crowd. But to others, they think all half dollars are silver. Gave some as a tip to a waiter last week, and he profusely thanked me as if I just gave him silver. By sending a few to auction, they'll get bought up and stashed away. Gets rid of some of the dumps and takes them out of circulation. 2 birds... 1 stone.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Diver_Down said:
DAS7NY said:

You have to avoid the knowledgeable crowd. But to others, they think all half dollars are silver. Gave some as a tip to a waiter last week, and he profusely thanked me as if I just gave him silver. By sending a few to auction, they'll get bought up and stashed away. Gets rid of some of the dumps and takes them out of circulation. 2 birds... 1 stone.

I'd feel guilty doing that.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Maybe the buyers at the auction had watched too much HSN coin or The Coin Vault shows

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread