Silver (and gold too!)

detect4au

Nov 17, 2007
On Saturday morning I took the family to the zoo. My wife and I took separate cars so I could spend the afternoon chasing gold nuggets with my metal detector. On the way to the gold fields, I stopped in a bank I had not visited for almost a year. They had two hand rolls and some loose halves. The hand rolled were a bust, but the loose held 1-62 Ben, 2-64’s, 1-66, and 2-68. I still get amazed every time I am handed a Ben or Walker from a teller. My day was already looking good as I had spent the first half with my awesome family, then I scored some silver halves, but the afternoon was just as good. I know that this forum is about coins, but I also got some gold nuggets. The nuggets total a little under a half an ounce of the good yellow metal for about a five-hour hunt. :headbang:
Cheers and good luck to all,
detect4au

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Awesome I think that is the first time Gold nuggets have been posted on this forum. Congrats

golden silver

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
The heck with the Kennedys, I want to find some gold nuggets too. Unfortunately the only nuggets I can find here are Chicken MacNuggets.
Post more of those gold finds. Very interesting.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
Completely AWESOME!!!

And I am not talking about the silver!

I would love to be in an area for gold.

Do you have room for a buddy for a few days, I will jump on a plane with my detector in hand :thumbsup:
Great Job,
Jason

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Great finds on the gold! The photo illustrates the vast difference in value of gold to silver. Roughly 500 bucks for that gold vs. 25 bucks for the coins.

Although silver is great, you gotta have some gold in the stash too.

Jim

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lookin' nuggets. You must be from California or Nevada. What detector do you use? The last time I saw that much gold found in one area in that short of time it was way up here in N. California.

OP
OP
D

detect4au

Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for checking out my post and commenting guys! Yep, California Motherload gold nuggets. 13 of the 18 gold nuggets came from an area that is no more than 20x30 feet. The other 5 were not far away. This is a "patch" that I have detected before and found gold nuggets. The bigger gold nuggets were over 12" deep and just a whisper of a target. The only answer I have to why I missed them before is that the ground is really red and hot. The dry conditions seem to tame the mineralisation and false targets. I was using a Minelab GPX4500 with a Coiltek Goldstalker coil. This was indeed a great day detecting, but I have had a few better days. ;D
Cheers and good luck to you all,
detect4au

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread