Road Trip 9/23/09

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Ran out of money yesterday so I figured I dump some clad and pick up bags. At my closest dump bank the coinstar was out of commission so I had to go to another bank to dump. I kept 500 in halves in case my bag bank needed to be topped off before the bag is pulled.
Well when I got there I was hit with the bad news. They can't sell the bags anymore. That didn't last long. A bank with six branches. That sell the bags, and no one dumped there. Oh well thats the way it goes. In any event I have seven more places to dump. So that problem is solved.
Then I went and hit a few banks for halves but was in a tough area.
On the way home I stopped at a bank and picked up 900.00 in quarters and 500.00 in dimes all handrolls. Here is what I got
4x 40%
6x silver Rosies.
Skunked on the quarters.
Not much but I'm glad I picked up the dump banks. Have 12 now so I can buy and dump with impunity.

Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rich,

That's a shame about the bags though. I've been having a tough time buying them in my new locale as well. I may try begging for the bag.

I finally got a chance to stop by my local check cashing place yesterday and forgot to post about it. You know the one...it's just down from the liquor store. I asked about halves and got the response that I was expecting: We don't carry those. Oh well. I'll find a bank to order me halves. I've got one lined up if my others won't.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Rich - question about dumping. I use TD bank which requires the bag be changed every $100, which is time consuming and keeps the tellers in a foul mood. Does coinstar or some other machine take more without having to change the bag ? I am talkin halves now.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Merc,

I know someone that dumps 2 grand at a time at a couple of TD's, all halves in fed boxes, slices the rolls so he dosen't have to re-wrap them. In and out, no questions asked. He dumps 4-6 grand per week, sometimes more. Why bother with a machine at all?

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Interesting Rich. I might have to try it. Of course, I am not very patient and can't resist ripping those suckers open !

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
I don't think people should be cutting the rolls and just cashing them back in makes trouble for everyone, the cut rolls become easily broken and the banks can't sell them back to people I'd rather see people re roll them or put them through a coin machine, just my thought

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I agree with you bourassa. The best way to get rid of coin is to bring it to a bank wth a coin machine. There are plenty of banks ruined for CRH because dumpers spread them out 200 here 300 there. The guy I knew who dumped at TD, dumped in $2,000.00 lots ,which the bank was able to get rid of right away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread