Bought these for $15 each

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a road trip found these in a small town bank; There are 15 pieces total and with boxes and certificates. I don't know if these are ordered by the bank to sell to the public or some customer brought in. I know some of you did bette than me and bought SAE at face value. But these are truly uncirculated. One has little toning because the capsule was not tightly closed.

P9261559.JPG

P9261560.JPG

Upvote 0

sir

May 29, 2007
I wouldn't think that the bank would serve as a franchise for the US mint, someone must have turned them in.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are well worth $15 bucks. Some of those retail over $40 each. I have several myself. Beautiful coins. Nice pickup.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple banks in my area that sell em too

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ju8vP3t said:
Very Nice :thumbsup: SAE's UNDER SPOT? Excellant!!! ...what are the years?

2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006.

No 90's.

Silver was very cheap around year 2000 so the bank probably bought at less than $15 per piece.
ag2000.gif
ag2001.gif
ag2002.gif
ag2003.gif
ag2005.gif

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Not bad, especially if silver doesn't get corrected way down and starts climbing again.

A bank near me orders proof SAE's from the mint and sells them for about $5.00 more that they paid, however since they are proofs the premium over melt doesn't make them economical from a bullion standpoint so I don't purchase any.

I wonder if they didn't come from a safe deposit box or something, somebody being delinquent in their monthly payments.

To purchase the uncirculated or "bullion" SAE's one must go through the mint's authorized dealers who purchase the coins in bulk. At least that's how it was last time I checked.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
thats a fantastic price....i just saw an add in National Geographic that was selling 2009's for $19.95 and $4 S+H. buying ten would only cost like $21.25 each and i thought that was a good deal :thumbsup:

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they West Point Mint? Look for the "W" Mintmark.

They are called uncirculated or Burnishing Blanks.
The uncirculated word from the mint has a different meaning than for Us CRHs
or coin dealers. The US Mint calls uncirculated to a special process they use to make coins.

If they are W it was a fantastic buy.

If they are not W still ok to pay 15 each.

DW

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
sir said:
I wouldn't think that the bank would serve as a franchise for the US mint, someone must have turned them in.

Exactly!!??......and if someone turned them in what did the bank give the person for them??.....1 dollar each??.......and if the bank bought them from a customer how did they then come up with a price of $15 each for them........something's not right here.....

Hmmm......

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
1235CE said:
sir said:

Exactly!!??......and if someone turned them in what did the bank give the person for them??.....1 dollar each??.......and if the bank bought them from a customer how did they then come up with a price of $15 each for them........something's not right here.....

Hmmm......

My bank sells this sort of thing, also some not so great "collector" coins. Could be the law is different in different states?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread