New to this with a few questions...

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I just discovered this and am aching to give it a try starting next week.

It seems like a great way to spend a free afternoon.

Out of every 500 dollars spent, how many silver coins do you get on average?

Does that vary depending on what denomination coins you go for?

One of the banks I deal with has a coin sorting machine for use by customers so I figure i will use this bank to drop off my sorted coins. This way I wont have to re roll them. Any problems with this idea?

I have access to a large branch bank (Bank of America) as well as three much smaller banks. Do you have better luck with large banks or smaller banks?

I have talked to a teller at one banks and she told me they don't have anyone buying their halves and they all go back to FedRes every few weeks so I am assuming this is virgin territory. Is there a way to tell if I have competition other than seeing them buying coins too?

How many skunk rolls do you see for every one with a silver coin in it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Pman, there is no way to know untill you jump into the game. Finds vary with small and large banks. Every area is different. A coin counter is a great way to dump, altho you may be shorted from time to time. Still beats re-rolling, when you are searching large volumes. My .50 cents. ffd

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I just discovered this and am aching to give it a try starting next week.

It seems like a great way to spend a free afternoon.

Does that vary depending on what denomination coins you go for?

One of the banks I deal with has a coin sorting machine for use by customers so I figure i will use this bank to drop off my sorted coins. This way I wont have to re roll them. Any problems with this idea?

I have access to a large branch bank (Bank of America) as well as three much smaller banks. Do you have better luck with large banks or smaller banks?

I have talked to a teller at one banks and she told me they don't have anyone buying their halves and they all go back to FedRes every few weeks so I am assuming this is virgin territory. Is there a way to tell if I have competition other than seeing them buying coins too?

Welcome to the forum

I've only been involved in this hobby for 10 months, so I'm certainly not the most qualified person to answer your questions, but I'll gladly share what I know.

The best coins to search for silver are Half Dollars. Next best are Dimes, You can find silver war nickels,and pick up old nickels. The toughest coin to find silver are quarters.
I've found that the best way is to search for coins is to get bags of coins from banks. Many banks won't give you the bags, but if you do get them chances are you will find silver. There is of course always the chance that you won't find anything,but bags are the best bet.
Getting customer rolled coins that people turn into the bank are easy to get and are a good way to get coins. On the downside, you will sometimes get short rolls and foreign coins.
Boxes of coins ordered from the bank are good if you order large quantities. Of course it is possible to score on a single box too.
In my opinion the best place to get rid of your coins is in a free coin counter at a bank that will not sell you the bags. It's fast and convenient, and your not leaving your searched coins for someone else to find.

At the top of the forum page is a beginners guide to Coin Roll hunting. It has great tips, and I highly recommend that you read this before you start on your quest for silver

Happy Hunting,

Rich

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Welcome. Don't forget the 10 rules of coin roll hunting posted by me. Important to abide by. " huntingOne of the banks I deal with has a coin sorting machine for use by customers so I figure i will use this bank to drop off my sorted coins. This way I wont have to re roll them. Any problems with this idea?"

It is a great Idea just don't pick up and dump at the same bank. They will not like you if you do this. Silver is where you find it. What I mean is that there is no ryme or reason sometimes to where you find it. Some guys on the forum are in great areas where silver is just being tapped others like myself are in areas that silver has been searched for many years. It is still around but you have to work harder for it. The good news is you are in the beginners zone and in this hobbie there is such a thing as beginners luck. So good luck..

Golden Silver

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Myself I get six boxes a week $3,000 and I'm increasing that next week to eight boxes $4,000. I average just over one silver half per box and consider myself lucky to get that.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
placerman said:

Thank you in advance for your help.

Well lets see a box of halves is $500, I have 93 SKUNK boxes in a row so I think that should give you some ideas.

Jason

P.S. if you are really worried about "how many silvers in $500 and how many skunk rolls you get" this might not be a hobby for you. Dont go into this with any expectation because you will be very dissapointed. Expect every box and roll to be a skunk then when you hit it will feel like you are on top of the world!

Good Luck,
Jason

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!
You said something that makes me think you might have some competition. the bank told you no one buys their halves and they ship them out every couple of weeks. Halves collect very slowly and the banks usually have to obtain a $1000 worth before they can be shipped out. That many going back tells me it might be a dump bank. Good luck anyway.
HH
Gilbert

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
enamel7 said:
Welcome aboard!
You said something that makes me think you might have some competition. the bank told you no one buys their halves and they ship them out every couple of weeks. Halves collect very slowly and the banks usually have to obtain a $1000 worth before they can be shipped out. That many going back tells me it might be a dump bank. Good luck anyway.
HH
Gilbert

I thought that too but some banks for whatever reason do not have to wait. I hear all kinds of stories from vault tellers these day's. Could be individual bank policy to save on fee's.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread