Introducing Myself and SilverSpider

Happyspider

Oct 22, 2008
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
Just a note to all of you guys and gals to say "Hi" and introduce ourselves. We have been following your adventures in CRH land with great enjoyment the last month or so and have learned a lot. My teen son, who wants to be known as "Silverspider" has always had a knack for finding things. I've always said they boy could spot a penny in Wal-mart 3 aisles away. We metal-detect and in last 3 months in our yard he has found 1 merc, 4 rosies and his last find at our house built in 1939 was...a 1925 SLQ. That kid has the perserverance and luck that goes with it.

We are starting out slowly and on a budget, getting and turning coin as fast as we can until Mom says she needs the money for bills :wink: and then we give it up until next payday. In last 3 weeks, we have managed to go through roughly 10 boxes of dimes (26500, handrolled when we can get them) to find 16 rosies and 1 merc.

Halves - we have gone through close to equivalent of 11 boxes (533 rolls by my count) to find:
(3) Walkers
(4) Franklins
(17) 64's
(84) 40% Kens
(2) Bicentennial "S" mint
and also a gold-plated half and a lovely Mexican peso that got snuck in.

By my count, 21 oz+ of silver for about 55 bucks! With us though, it's not the having, but the finding. I think the guys in my family suffer from the FinderX chromosone. Give generously.

Just wanted to say hi to all. SS keeps asking me if I ever post our finds, now I can say "yep". By the way, 2 days ago I made a trip and met a nasty sour teller who gave up 2 rolls of halves after an incredibly long wait in line. I opened one roll to find 3 40% and a 64 and felt pretty good. I held on to the other roll for SS to go through since pickings were slim (and his momma made me) and the turkey pulled (7) 64's and (5) 40%'s out of his roll.

Smiling all the way to the bank (literally, making a road trip shortly)

-Happyspider

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the madness, you're both off to a good start.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Happyspider said:
Halves - we have gone through close to equivalent of 11 boxes (533 rolls by my count) to find:
(3) Walkers
(4) Franklins
(17) 64's
(84) 40% Kens
(2) Bicentennial "S" mint
and also a gold-plated half and a lovely Mexican peso that got snuck in.

Enjoy your new hobby. And enjoy while you CAN. I am happy for the areas that are still producing, like apparantly yours is, but in AZ if I go through 11 boxes my take would be about 4 40% Kennedy's. And "maybe" 1 90% Kennedy. PLus a few NIFC (2002 through 2009) but those really aren't worth anything more than $0.50. So I say work it while you can. It WILL disappear down to paltry amounts at some point. It will never go to zero, as people are throwing more silver into circulation by mistake all the time. But it becomes pretty rare once the stored amount of silver in your area is gone. Then the pickings wil become slim. HOw long will it take? It depends on how many people in your area are looking. And how hard. But you have silver now, and that is what is important.

So enjoy it now. ENjoy it with your son, which is a great thing to do. And share with us here, as we like hearing stories of success from others.

Welcome to the addiction. :-)

OP
OP
Happyspider

Happyspider

Oct 22, 2008
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Whites/Minelab
Thanks all for the welcome. There is some silver in the area, but like everyone else (but not as bad as others) it's slim pickings. I've only ordered in about 7 boxes, the rest have been picking them up as i find them in rolls, but I can tell I am picking up other hunters culls. First score I got was at a branch that had $1000 sitting in the vault...sadly I learned what those "x"'s meant on most of the rolls. But we scored some decent silver there (walker, bens and kens) that ruined us forever. I returned 3 weeks later this past monday at same branch and she said she had $400 back there since I came in last and I grabbed those, only to get skunked.

Another $600 I got looked good...all machine rolled with crimped edges facing up. I snagged those only to get out to the car ro see that someone had meticulously worked the OTHER end open so they could reuse the wrapper (that was a lot of work, tight rolls) and zilched again. That was evil on that hunters part, facing all 60 rolls up.

But its fun and I am trying to build up that good relationship with local branches so they will continue to smile at me rather than frown that "Here he comes again" look.

-Happyspider

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine rollls with the unrolled end has to be one of the most annoying things in my book. Gets me all excited to get rolls and then I see some silver hunter has picked it open, took the silver out, and folded it back over. Just get some rolls from the bank and re-roll them, they hand them out for free.

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
AGCoinHunter said:
The machine rollls with the unrolled end has to be one of the most annoying things in my book. Gets me all excited to get rolls and then I see some silver hunter has picked it open, took the silver out, and folded it back over. Just get some rolls from the bank and re-roll them, they hand them out for free.

Round here someone is slitting the rolls down the side with a box cutter to do an edge search, then wraps rubber bands around them and returns them to the bank. I just ask for customer hand rolls at these banks now. I know we should buy it all, but this is very annoying. I'm thinking maybe the banks will get tired of sitting on all those halves and stop taking them. Just reroll!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread