Frustrated at the bank Today!

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
So I went to a couple of banks today to dump coins from my first boxes this week.

The machine indicated a full bag almost immediately. I spoke to one woman, while another emptied the bags. She saw that I had a bunch of half dollars, and asked if any of them were from the 60’s. I said no, they are all newer from the last several years of getting them from teller’s trays, yeah, I lied… Anyway, as they pulled out the full bag, the ticket indicated 521 dollars; I noticed that it was full of SILVER! There must have been 400 or more silver coins in that bag! I asked if I could buy it, they said no. They were both looking through the clear plastic as I finished dumping. I asked again if I could buy it, they said no, it has to go to the reserve. As I was standing at the teller window to cash out, they were at a desk in the middle of the bank, and I overheard them talking about going in the back and opening the bag. That really pissed me off! :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :icon_pirat:

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sounds like pirates to me ask the manager -- tell him / her that you want to buy the bag * -- if no seems like you got a new "dump" bank

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
I didnt push it, probablly should have. I am not sure if the woman I was speaking with was the manager or not. She didnt have a name tag or anything, but she did seem to bwe the one in charge, there were only 4 people in the bank. I was salivating over that bag though!!!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
oWWW that breaks the heart. Could you tell if they were walkers or Bens??? I would have made a stink or at least let them know that I heard what they were plotting and then talk to the manager. I think I remember someone having a story where a teller told them that they had no halves and then took the coin right in front of their face and threw it in there drawer. They complained to the manager and the manager awarded the coin to the CRHer. It may have been Rich I am not sure. You will recover but that is a brutal blow.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
I wasnt able to check the bag out terribly well, I didnt want to physically tough it, just incase, you know? I could see a heck of a lot of silver edges in there though. My guess is that it was mostly JFK's, and there is a good chance it was mostly 40%'s, but still... I didnt see any walkers or Franklins on the surface. I did hear them say that they must have belonged to the guy whose father had left him his coin collection. I dont know. Its times like these where I wished I worked in abank though... Of course, then someone would be here complaining about me!!!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had an account there, I would have raised almighty heJJ. Manager, distric manager, all the way up the chain. If you dont have an account, you have no recourse.

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have an account. I only opened it last Monday, and only for the purpose of dumping, as this cahin has a counting machine in every branch. I had never been in this particular branch before today. It is too late for me now, as they were headed to the back room when i left, and that was about 90 minutes ago. Still, I will work a little harder next time such a bag presents itself to me, if it ever does.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think of them as someone elses dump that they painted each of the edges silver. Hey that gives me an idea, cherry picking tellers could be taught a lesson with your silver pen! Dump 1k and let them haul it into the back room only to discover clad... I dont advocate this type of behavior but sometimes it could be a nice form of revenge.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Ahh they were probably shiney new 2008 half dollars with painted rims. You tell yourself that. And if you worked in a bank....of course we would talk bad about you.

Golden silver

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
I don't think they have too do anything. In actuality I think if they were smart they would sell them to customers who wanted them to avoid the fees they pay for shipping the coin out. It could save them money in the long run.

Golden Silver

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I never would,but if I worked at a bank, and I changed a bag with 400 silvers you can bet they would be coming home with me. If a customer was pesistant in asking to buy the bag I'd show him the door and tell him to shove off.
The hobby can be frustrating at times. I never look at a bag that I know I'm not going to get

HH

Rich

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
I never would,but if I worked at a bank, and I changed a bag with 400 silvers you can bet they would be coming home with me. If a customer was pesistant in asking to buy the bag I'd show him the door and tell him to shove off.
The hobby can be frustrating at times. I never look at a bag that I know I'm not going to get

HH

Rich

Exactly right. If the tellers want them for themselves and the branch manager allows it, there is nothing you can do. Sometimes they honestly think they have to send them to the "fed" and the tellers don't go looking through them.

I have a dump bank I rarely go to because it is out of the way. It has an older machine that only holds 100 dollars in its collection cup and the teller dumps the coins for you. Last time I was there I noticed when they dumped the "cup" into a clear bag on the first fill (only took about 10 dollars of my dumps) it had a good amount of silver coins. I don't know if they were 90s or 40s, but by the sound there was no doubt it had silver-clink clink clink. And the plastic bag they dumped into had been filling for a while because I could see where each new total was scratched through at each new 100 dollar interval. I had not dumped there for at least 3 months prior.

I did my best begging to buy the full bag (1000 dollars worth) since my dumps only consituted less than 200 dollars worth in that bag. These tellers were nice as can be and had no interest in them themselves (I saw the teller seal the bag and throw it into a pile of other sealed bags for Brinks to pick up later that day according to her). She said we have to send it to the fed, but it will be re rolled and you can get them that way--yeah right.

Somebody out there got a nice box or two I imagine from that bag of halves and since I stopped ordering boxes a couple of weeks ago so I know it won't be me. I could not see what was in there, but no way was it a skunk box.

Jim

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If this is Chevy Chase bank, i ask every time I am at one and they always say no. I have talked to the manager at my local branch and she said they can't do it. When they remove the bag they must seal it immediately. The coin machine audit must match the amount of coin. I even suggested replacing any removed coins with dumped coin...still no go. Keep asking though.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
You could think of it like this. Those silvers are like a fish that you throw back only to catch it later on down the road. They may just end up in your boxes one day.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
So, I went back to the branch of Chevy Chase that pissed me off the other day. I needed to make a dump, and had resolved to dump as much as possible in this branch, as I was being petty! ::)

Anyway, was speaking to the woman who wouldn’t sell me the bag of halves last week. She was being very nice, and asked me if I had had any luck finding silver in the last week. She told me that she had ordered herself a box of halves. Another teller was there, he changed out some bags for me in the machine. He said he wanted to get into buying halves as well. This is of course bad, but I didn’t put the idea in their heads, she already has two customers who buy halves there. Anyway, we were speaking about how it would benefit Chevy Chase to sell the bags to customers so that they would not need to pay to have the bags removed. She said that the problem wasn’t the bank per se, but with Capital One who recently bought Chevy Chase. They are the ones passing down the law, which seems to make sense, as I was denied buying bags from more than 10 branches of the bank. At that level, it is not a local policy…

Good news, she offered to order me boxes, knowing I was dumping in her bank. So, I ordered a couple. She told me they would be in on Thursday. I am currently ordering from a smaller bank, BB&T, and they only get them in once a week, this woman says she can have me anything that I like in 2 days. That is good news. I will see how friendly they remain after I dump there a lot more often, but she said that it was not a problem, and they would be more than happy to service my needs.

I am no longer bitter with this bank. :wink:

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Good idea, thanks Golden Silver!

By the way, all of your suggestions for the time my Wife and I spent in Williamsburg were spot on. The 2 year old love the snowing ceiling!

Unfortunately, I had no luck in finding halves. Most of the bank s in town were small local ones that I didn’t have accounts with, so I skipped them all together. I basically just hit up a bunch of SunTrust’s, no love...

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
SMPress said:
So I went to a couple of banks today to dump coins from my first boxes this week.

The machine indicated a full bag almost immediately. I spoke to one woman, while another emptied the bags. She saw that I had a bunch of half dollars, and asked if any of them were from the 60’s. I said no, they are all newer from the last several years of getting them from teller’s trays, yeah, I lied… Anyway, as they pulled out the full bag, the ticket indicated 521 dollars; I noticed that it was full of SILVER! There must have been 400 or more silver coins in that bag! I asked if I could buy it, they said no. They were both looking through the clear plastic as I finished dumping. I asked again if I could buy it, they said no, it has to go to the reserve. As I was standing at the teller window to cash out, they were at a desk in the middle of the bank, and I overheard them talking about going in the back and opening the bag. That really pissed me off! :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :icon_pirat:
I would have told the teller to cancel the transaction and that you wanted your coins back.

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
"I would have told the teller to cancel the transaction and that you wanted your coins back."

I think I would be afraid of being led away by armed guards with no money after that! :o

Still, would have been funny to see their response!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread