Trip & Plan produced results

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
Trip & Plan produced results

Took a trip to nearby New York to pic up a couple of boxes that I had ordered a week prior. The manager asked me if I was a coin collector or something. I told him that I am l and he mentioned that he collects pennies. Well whadaya know, I just happened to have a couple of Indian Heads in my pocket. As I put the I-heads in his hand to get a better look, I asked him if he has ever come across any of these. " WOW! A penny from the 1800's! This is amazing, I have never seen one of these before." I told him to keep it. He tried to refuse but I insisted. As I bid him farewell, he told me that he has something for me as well. "Wait right here!" he said. I placed the 2x boxes on the counter and thought to myself how funny it would be if the Indian-Coin trick might actually work. The manager comes back from the vault and hands me 11x Walkers and 3xBens. I told him that they were pretty cool looking coins and he then told me with a grateful smile that they are now mine. After a bit of chit chat he took my info and said he would keep all of the halves in the vault for me as well as any foreign or strange coins that come in. Little did I know that he would call me the next day to pick up a few things that had just come in. I will find out what he has for me tomorrow and post the results.

So the moral of the story is that it is good to trade - especially with the Indians.

Upvote 0

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Re: Trip & Plan produced results

If it was me I would give him face value for the walkers and bens but he insisted WOW. So what was the years of the IHP?

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008

As they used to say in that old beer commercial "Dolan...your a genius!" Great job, I can't believe it actually worked.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Good score Steve ! Someone opened a pawn shop near me. We should hang out there and do some parking lot deals before it gets cold.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve, with that story I would think you were smoking hot lady with huge you know what. :D

I find it hard to get into chit chat at many banks unless its my dump bank while I am waiting on the coin machine, and I know the lady there collects. I might have to try this trick. Lately I have been more friendly with banks that I have found silver at and dont seem to be picked on a daily basis. I try to get to the point where I can leave my name and phone number for them to call me when they get any in. Today I picked up a 90 and 3 40's and left my name with the teller. She said they occasionaly get big deposits of halfs and she would tell everyone to save them for me and she would call me. Always makes the trip better when you get a few tellers on your side. But I am still looking for those WLH's in a customer roll or loose.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008

Rich Hartford said:
Good score Steve ! Someone opened a pawn shop near me. We should hang out there and do some parking lot deals before it gets cold.

Rich you mean you buy the coins from people before they get in there! DUDE! That's a sick idea! I'm gonna have to try this indian head thing, after all I almost have a complete indian set! Yeah! That's just so awesome! Rich and Steve are like geniuses at this! :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang::

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

I got the idea at a gun store. I was having a gun appraised and was waiting when a fellow came in with an original Colt Dragoon to sell. I got it from the guy real cheap.
So I suggested to Steve that we try the same thing outside of a pawnshop. We made some good scores,but eventually the owner would get tipped off and kick us out.
Steve and I go to a coin store where they have a bucket of Indian Heads for a buck apiece. I have a good source for silver certificates that I get at face. Besides the above I keep on me a couple of V nickels (worth about .75) and for big trades I get cheap commemorative halves,Columbian Exposition,and GW Carver. Also keep a few clad proofs as well.The Cherry pickers will give up a lot of 64 Kennedys for an Indian Head.
HH
Rich

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You've convinced me. I'll probably pick up a couple IHs next time I'm by the coin shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread