2 Dollar Bills

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
So, my bank just called me. I have been into CRH for a total of 10 days now, and they are already hitting me up when somthing comes into the bank, that has to be a good sign!!!

They say that a customer just turned in somewhere between 2 and 4 tousand in 2 dollar bills. This message was from the manager, not the teller, so she wasnt positive of the number. This is the bank near my house, so i am heading out of the office a little early to get there before close. She said they were set to ship them off in tonights shipment when she thought to call me because I had bought a bunch of boxes of coins, and had told them I was a collector when they asked if I had a business...

I have no idea if these things have any value or not. She said she thought that they were mostly from the 70's. Anyone know anythign about these? I generally only collect Coins, not Paper... I will try to list them on EBay and see what happens I guess. Worst case scenario is that I end up taking them to a different bank to cash them out for what i paid, so no real loss. Just thought I would see if anyone here had any knowledge or experience with them...

Thanks
Andy

Upvote 0

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Crisp ones are worth a little, the crisp Star notes are also worth a little more, and there are Errors that are worth quite a bit more, also they are fun to spend at places and use as tips. I would say what can it hurt you can't loose on cash you can always spend it for something else later.

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Cedar,

I thought the same thing, cant lose, worst case is break even, so why not? I am definately going to pick them up. Even if i dont get anythign for them, it shows the bank that i am ready to come get anything that they think might be interesting, which could pay off down the road...

Holmes

Sep 7, 2009
Grand Rapids Michigan
I myself have run into a very similar situation, the bank called me told me that they had alot of $2 bills they wanted to get rid of i think it was around 1000 value not near what your talking about, and i looked at everyone ( and i fold 20 silver certificates and a silver certificate star note ) its always worth getting what banks dont want, if you dont want it either you can bring it somewhere else and it gives you a chance to have an amazing find! So I say there isnt any value in a $2 bill, but there is value in holding OLD and good condition ones!

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Yeah also look up sequential numbering and he ones that have lots of one number like a serial 77777772 or 0022002200 those are also worth a little bit, and Silver certificates are always awesome finds!!!

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find $2 bills pretty regularly while out and about. Most tellers ask if I want them after asking for large $1 coins. I will take them from time to time and give them to the kids.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Keep hitting that bank. Someone turned in their collection. Maybe they turned in some silver as well. Or will in the near future

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
OK, back from the bank. Looks like the majority fo the bills are uncirculated, and most of them are also sequential... I will see if EBay has any interest in these, maybe I will get lucky; otherwise I will dump them next week with my halves.

The teller told me they were turned in by an old lady. I think she has had them since the 70's. One of the bills on the top of the stack has ballpoint written June 13 1976, I assume that is when they picked them up from the bank?

I told them to keep me in mind if anything else interesting walked into the bank, and especially if this particular woman came back with any coins. I am also going to be in there once a week looking for customer rolls...

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
i thought the 76 were worth a little more. check on the currency board or ebay. i'm no expert in paper.

nicholaswb

May 6, 2009
June 13, 1976 was the day the $2 bill was reissued for circulation. Many people went to the bank on this day to get them, then took them to the post office to get them postmarked to prove they were first day of issue.

Other than those, star notes, interesting serials, or uncirculated bills, series 1976 $2 bills are worth exactly $2.

Also look for anything pre-76, which would have a red (rather than green) seal on the front of the bill and Monticello on the reverse (rather than the painting).

The newer ones may be able to get you a good profit on ebay, because people think that $2 bills are ultra-rare and should be saved, every single one. The truth is, almost any bank can order them.
Personally, I would just spend the ones that don't look like they're worth saving. They're pretty convenient, with the prices on packs of gum and soft drinks these days, and you will often get a reaction from the cashier, which is fun!

Well, I guess I should step down off my soapbox now. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Nick

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well,

The only interesting bill was a starnote. It is in horrible shape, it appears uncirculated, but has a cut on the bootom right up to the print, and the cut on top is uneven, looks like the cut was started, then stopped, re-aligned, and finished...

I put up some Ebay auctions, you get 5 a month for free, so if they dont sell, I dont pay any fees. I can then take them to the bank, or spend them as I please. One of the aucions I put up was for 300 bills in sequential order. Might be too much for anyone to bid on, but I figure it might appeal to some rich guy. :dontknow:

I live near DC, when you go to Monticello, you always get 2 dollar bills in your change, so I knew it wasnt like they were hard to find, but I dont normally see them uncirculated, or in sequential numbers...

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thanks nick,

I like the history leson, I am a history junkie, in any category... None of the bills had a postmark, but I did see some of those when I listed them on EBay. I dont really expect to make anything on them, but thats OK. I will keep a couple, and hang on to a couple for when my Daughters teeth start coming out, or Christmas or something. They are probablly great for tips as well. I will be using a few hundred of the circulated ones tomorrow when I go to pick up my 2 boxes of halves...

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i would hold onto the irregular cut one. this is a minor error , not worth much over face but still collectable. i would also look for the following:
low #'s (eg. 00000231)
radar or mirror dollars (12344321) same #'s front to back and back to front
binary #'s - any bill with combo of ones and zeros
ladder bills (eg. 12345678 or 87654321)
i know there is more but i'm drawing a blank.
you can check out "paper currencies" in the list of topics. those guys are always finding something and have quite a bit of usefull info on there.

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Mistergee,

I did look on the currency page, didn’t want to repost the post from here, but I looked over some of their most recent posts. I did not find any Mirror numbers in my stack. I did find the 1 star note. No binary either, or low numbers, lowest one started with 2 zero's.

The thing that I found interesting was that my reading said that the star notes are printed when a regular bill in the run is unacceptable to send out to the public. The odd thing is that the badly cut bill is a star note that apparently would have replaced and even worse bill, assuming I understand the process correctly...

All 4 auctions have received bids. If it ended today, I would make 35 bucks, so not too bad in the end. I could buy a missing Morgan dollar from my collection or something with that...

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i have never found any i posted either and the lowest i ever found was only 4 zero's. however i did find a 1922(i think thats the year, i'll have to look) large red seal $2 and several small red seals. i think the large one was worth something like $65

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a guy who comes into a place I work and pays with Jeffersons all night long. I used to keep every one... that lasted about 2 weeks! Now I just use it a way to track how much money he spends in our building each week. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread