CRHing 1979-1980?

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I don't know if people were CRH back then. I remember adds in the newspaper where coin stores offered .90 for a dime, so they certainly were not paying anywhere near $50 an ounce.

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Rich Hartford said:
I don't know if people were CRH back then. I remember adds in the newspaper where coin stores offered .90 for a dime, so they certainly were not paying anywhere near $50 an ounce.

Are you sure it was 90 cents when silver hit $50 an ounce? If so, those coin stores were making some good money! If silver were to hit $50, a 90% silver dime would be worth about $3.30.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People have been CRH for a long time. My father did it during the early 60's when everything was silver. Sad to say, he threw back most of it. It didnt occur to him that silver coinage would be more valuable. He mainly searched for key dates/errors to add to his collection. If I just had a time machine! :)

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
my father got rid of all his Morgans during that time. :BangHead: :crybaby2: he never said what he got or how many he sold but i remember he redid our entire basement with the money. from a garage and small den to a family room w/sm. office complete with all the furniture.
If I just had a time machine!
i thought of this many times. the only problem is you would only be able to use money that was printed BEFORE the date you wish to visit. no checks because your account didn't exist.
could you see thier face if you tried to give someone from pre-1964 one of our newer 2004 $20 notes. ;D

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i remember ads from gas stations that were selling gas for 10 cents a gallon for anyone that paid with a pre-1965 dime. don't know how much gas was selling for then

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I talked to a bank teller once when getting some dime boxes and he said that he did this in '79/80 and he regularly got 10 lbs at a time. Also said it paid for 4 years of college at the time. HH Mark

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I crh'd as a high schooler, I remember 20-25 times face. I also remember people were hoarding silver as soon as the mint stopped producing them, (post 1964). The finds then were similar to the quantities found today. ffd

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
My dad had a large collection of silver as a kid and kept it in a steamer trunk. He said he visited Montana one time in the sixties and they had a system that change would be given in silver dollars. My dad paid for some army men with a 50 dollar bill that he had from saving his money and the lady gave him back 49 morgans and a walking liberty for his change. Amaizing. He said he had them in his steamer for years until he had to leave the trunk behind when he joined the Navy. His dad remarried and the step children raided my dads coins and ball cards etc. They stole my inheritance for pot money. I would love to meet them and let them know what I think of them. Anyway, when my dad returned home to visit one year he found a stuffed animal, a baseball penant and a few indian head pennies at the bottom of his trunk. That is all. He inquired about his stuff and amaizingly nobody knew anything. How sad.

Golden Silver

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
golden silver that reminds me of a story my uncle told me. he said that he had a mason jar full of silver dimes in his sock drawer and my cousin (about 12 at the time) took them to the store one day and cashed them in and bought candy and toys. my uncle found out about it the same day and went to the store (mom and pop operation) and tried to get the coins back. the owner said he had already went to the bank that day and he did not have the coins anymore (RIGHT).....anyway he never got them back. i think that is how we find much of the silver out in the wild today....kids and crooks....

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I seem to remember ads for silver coins in the 17 - 19x face range back then at it's peek. I started buying Englehard flats and rounds on the way back down and sorta got stuck holding the bag for the last 25 years. I believe my avg. price before I stopped buying was around $10 per oz.
It never occured to me that I should go to the bank and buy up as many coins as I could and search them for silver.
I stated CRH'g just 4 years ago on accident before I knew anyone else was doing it, or that it was called "CRH"

Mojo

qwerty

Sep 18, 2009
Mojo, same story with me. I've been CRHing for years without knowing anyone else did it until I accidentally found this website a couple months ago.
About the original question, I think in 1979 most who knew about silver in coins probably already hoarded them fifteen years earlier, in 1964 so there probably wasn't much CRHing in 1979. An example being my grandfather who stocked up on coins (mainly quarters) as soon as he found out they would no longer be silver. After he had 4 or 5 boxes of them, there wasn't much a point to get more when there were far fewer in circulation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread