------------------------------------------------------
Good things about CRH:
Doesn't cost a lot of money. You pay for what you find, and that's about it
Farily easy to find silver sometimes
Can hunt in any weather

Bad things about CRH:
Must have a lot of Patience
Bank tellers might be jerks sometimes
You might get reported because you bring in large quantities of coins all the time

Feel free to add your own!

Both hobbies are great hobbies. But, CRHers usually find more silver than MD's do. For example, MD's will probably never come across the silver LJ has found, IN THEIR LIFETIME. And LJ's only been hunting for a couple years. I saw a video about a guy on YouTube that found a silver coin by MD, and he's a well known MDer; he said it was silver #38 for the year or something like that.
MD's will most likely never reach the wheaties that shake N bake finds IN A WEEK. But, Md's do have a better chance at finding older coins such as Seated's and Bust's. This may sound like a stupid question, but why MD? CRHing produces the most finds in the long run right? True, we may never find a gold eagle or rings like some MD's do, but in the long run, IS IT WORTH IT? I'm not saying that one hobby is better than the other, I'm just asking, why do it?

Let the comments fly :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I'm asking this question for the people that MD for profit, not for the trill of the hunt. I myselft have a MDer, and I mainly do it to get some extra cash (I got my MD for free) but a small part of my sould does it just for the trill of the hunt.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i would love to MD but i'm limited on time. i like the fact that its easier to find silver CRHing, but i also like digging stuff up. most of my bottles were dug. its always cool pulling something out of the ground that hasn't seen the light of day in 100+ years. i think the one thing they have in common is the thrill of the hunt :thumbsup:

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Just do them both like me! :laughing7: Ive found equal amounts of gold (FRN wise) MD'ing to silver finds CRH I do more CRH when the ground freezes...or the water is just to cold to get into anyways.
When you find a gold ring you think about how sad that person must have felt to lose it,conversly when you find 6 solid rolls of 90% you think ,what an idiot for turning that in for face value,lol!

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
I, too, am a multi-tasker, enjoying both MDing and CRHing. To me, the key to any hobby should be enjoyment. In other words, if you do not enjoy what you are doing, it is no longer a hobby but work and there are a lot of other jobs which pay far better than either one of these, at least based on my experience. My primary objection to MDing is I live in Florida where the weather is only cool enough for outside activitites such as this only about two months out of the year. The temp here yesterday was 95 degrees, with low nineties predicted again today, just CRHing weather!
But remember, whatever one does for a hobby, please enjoy it. Life's too short not to. Good luck to all and HH.

FL Junkman

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I like both hobbies, altho my best coin finds are made MDing. This is my first year seriously detecting and I've already dug lots of silver including a Morgan, Walkers, Barber quarters, seated dime, SLQ's, etc, and a couple key date IH's. I'm not in it to profit, just love the history! ffd

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am contemplating getting into MD. Never done it before but it seems fun. It looks like the key to being a good MDer is understanding the history of an area and have the charisma to get permission from current owners. Now if I could only squeeze a few more hours out of a day I would be all set!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRH = winter metal detecting

Actually I found CRH because of MD it has paid for my upgrades on my MDs. I don't expect to make $1000 per year MDing unless I move closer to the beach

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I have found many thousands of coins with my MD only 3 were JFK halves and then they were clad. Now with CRH I have found well over 1000 JFKs and all were silver :hello2:

I have not yet found any gold in a coin wrapper, but I have found Morgans and barbers at my local banks.

MDing seems to strengthen my back, CRHing tends to mess it up.

coins4cheese that is a good question and I can't answer it.
That is like asking which is better beer or wine 8)

myprecious

Aug 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites BHID 300 / Bounty Hunter IV
why one or the other.

order a bag of halves, scatter them on your favorite bikini beach...set the MD for silver and off you go. :laughing9:

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
I've considered MD in addition to CRH just to get the shot at older coins, especially older wheats, IH cents and so forth. I managed to get one Barber dime CRH but I understand that this may be my last.

MD sounds interesting due to the history that is involved and some of the research that's needed to find old sites that my produce well.

OWS

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
myprecious said:
why one or the other.

order a bag of halves, scatter them on your favorite bikini beach...set the MD for silver and off you go. :laughing9:

LOL

South beach in Miami!

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
I think the thrill of digging a 19th century coin out of the ground far exceeds finding post 1920 silver halves and dimes in a roll. However, I have found almost 400 silver coins CRH this year as compared to two Indian Head Pennies and a pile of clad MDing. So for me the return for CRH is so much better, even though I rather dig one barber dime then find 50 40% Kens CRHing. I plan to stick with both so I can finish each year with a pile of silver and still have a few thrilling moments of being an archaeologist.

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
any thoughts on relative reward - do you actually find as much stuff MDing? do you find stuff every time you go out? Seems like it would be hard to identify good places to hunt, maybe that just because i'm a novice. I live near some civil war sites - are relics valuable or just interesting?

myprecious

Aug 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites BHID 300 / Bounty Hunter IV
only been skunked one time MD out of hundreds of trips.
extremely satisfying - and the rush for me is just like fishing...you first get the bite, fight it and land it. The anticipation of what it is - is a majority of the fun for me. Gold? Silver? Coins? Pull tabs? Matchbox cars?

To me CRH is like commercial fishing. Same thrill kinda, but it's about volume...and knowing what kind of fish you're targeting. And i've yet to find a single pull tab in a bank bag. No gold rings either tho.

Each very enjoyable all the same. Just different.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
LemonThrower said:
any thoughts on relative reward - do you actually find as much stuff MDing? do you find stuff every time you go out? Seems like it would be hard to identify good places to hunt, maybe that just because i'm a novice. I live near some civil war sites - are relics valuable or just interesting?
LT, some relics are both rewarding and valuble. Like others have said, MDing is quality time. Where i live, there are virtually endless places to hunt, and I mean private property. You would be amazed to find that there are lots of people that would allow a complete stranger to MD on their property! ffd

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
TXTim said:
CRH= Quantity
MD = Quality

Sometimes, but not always. MDing is like looking through someones change purse 70 years ago, if you get lucky. MDing finds are not that great in shape if they're buried in the sand for 50 + years. I can prove wrong that the statement CRH= Quantity MD = Quality is incorrect. For example, you can find a fair amount of wheaites in a box, and a lot of them would be in good condition, and if you're lucky, some might even have luster! But sometimes this doesn't apply to MDing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread