Need help with new dump bank

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
My dump bank T.D. bank advised me today that they will be charging me for dumping halves. Putting aside for a moment the fact that I might raise a mighty stink, since I CHR for relaxation, I would prefer to just find another bank that has a machine to dump halves that give you a 100% return and does not have a service fee. I am in Long Island, New York, does anyone have any suggestions for me ? Need a new dump bank or I am out of business. Thanks, Merc63

Upvote 0

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
You need a new dump bank. If a bank starts charging you, simply bring your business elsewhere.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go as high on the food chain as you can on this. If the head teller told you this, ask for the store manager. If it was the manager, go higher to the 'regional representative'- might have to call TD for his/her contact info. 800-YES-2000 is the number.
TD does not charge a fee for using the machine(if they charge you for a service, they must charge everyone). If they are trying to, someone at that branch wants you to go away.
TD has to account for every dime they bring in and has paperwork to do so. There is nowhere on these forms to add anymore fees than what the bank normally charges for regular services.

My brother works for TD...

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Merc,

Don't make a big stink that will ruin the hobby for others. Then we all get stuck with fees. Look for a credit union that has a lot of branches and free coin machines.
When I first started I had trouble with dumping coins. I took a few days off CRH and did some research and found so many banks with coin machines that I never dump more than once at any bank in a month. In fact there is no where in my state that I cannot find a place to dump. Out of State too.
I'm sure that there are dozens of banks/Credit Unions on long island that have free coin counters. Slow down, do some research, and you will be in business.

Good luck.

Rich

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Can't you roll the coin? I know it is a PIA, but it will still allow you to CRH for free. I guess it depends on how "addicted" you are to the hobby.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
TD bank wants to charge you? i'm with Markmopar, somethings fishy there. they ADVERTISE free coin counting. there is no mention of fees for large amounts. sounds like someone doesn't want to be bothered. i would either raise a stink or find another TD bank.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Regulation DD is your friend. Google it. Print it. Cite it.

Basically, they must disclose all fees to you in writing prior to actually charging you the fee.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Hello , are you a customer of TD and how were they gonna charge you? By the amount or for each dump. I just started CRHin and have access to a number of td banks so i try to limit it to about 100$ in halves a week each to limit exposure.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude,I'd go to credit unions.

OP
OP
M

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Thank you everyone for your advice. I will look for an alternate dump bank, and work some of the other TD branches as well that have been a bit more receptive. The funny thing is that I opened an account with them and spread my dumps around just to be considerate but I am still getting the heat.

supn9

Oct 21, 2009
As someone in here already said. They just dont want to deal with you. Theres a lot of them like that. I find coin machines usually short change my dumps.

Keep the rolls when you get the coins..and dump them in rolls at several banks. This is a good way to go.

You will get an occasional teller demanding you to write your account # on the rolls or trying to stick you with fees for dumping..even though you are a customer..

But it will be a better shot than with coin machines. Not to mention hardly any of them can handle even a box of halves before the bag needs to be changed.

Don't get discouraged! Plenty of dump banks.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
supn9 said:
As someone in here already said. They just dont want to deal with you. Theres a lot of them like that. I find coin machines usually short change my dumps.

Keep the rolls when you get the coins..and dump them in rolls at several banks. This is a good way to go.

You will get an occasional teller demanding you to write your account # on the rolls or trying to stick you with fees for dumping..even though you are a customer..

But it will be a better shot than with coin machines. Not to mention hardly any of them can handle even a box of halves before the bag needs to be changed.

Don't get discouraged! Plenty of dump banks.
Scattering your rolls all over the place especially in good producing banks is just plain stupid and inconsiderate of others in this hobby. Especially so when you have coin counters available to you.
Re rolling your coins and writing your account number on the wrappers is a huge waste of time. Personally I'd rather lose a few cents to the coin counter.
Hopefully you will run into your own dumps

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
also by putting your account # on every roll you run into the chance that they will not remove it from the roll when they give it back out. i have recieved numerous handrolls with the account # still on them. in one instance $230 in handroll dumps from one person and that was last week.

mebegene

Greenie
Nov 7, 2009
Merc,

SO YOU'RE THE GUY THAT'S BEEN LEAVING ME WITH ALL THESE SHUNK BOXES DOWN HERE IN VA :'(. Might I make a request or heartfelt plea - STOP IT AT ONCE! First of all TD Bank (formerly Commerce Bank) is a fantastic place to land all kinds of great coins keeping in mind the Penny Arcade TM machines they use are some of the best and fastest coin counters in the business. Instead make a different branch of TD A-L-W-A-Y-S your 'get' bank. Open an account. TD used to be especially strong in silver halves. I pulled 80 Barbers out at one time in a single box buy. Work with their tellers - smile at them - complement their incredible beauty if they're ladies :notworthy: and how smart/sharp dressed they are if they're men :headbang:. NEVER come in with an attitude! With these fast PA machines, TD is E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-I-E-S dump bank. Turn your situation completely around and you'll get better results and it might leave some scrapes for me down here. Dump your rolled (yes - roll them - leaving what you pull out of rolls intact if they don't yield and stack them in 25 roll 'squares' for a quick pick up and reinsertion) at BOA and yes start an account with them too. It's worked for me so far - and I've dumped about $300K worth so far. If you collect other denominations, NEVER take the same type coins back to even another branch of the same bank your brought them from. Always dump quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies into a coin counter machine - its a fast turn around and I usually manage to break even with the stuff I find in the reject bin and underneath the machines themselves.

Mebe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread