BIG Plans....

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
So far I have been doing just 1000 worth of halves every week.

In that time my rate of silver finds has been 1.15% which I hear is about twice what is normally expected. Not that I am complaining or anything mind you.

Starting tomorrow I will be doing 2000 dollars in halves every week.

Currently I get all my halves at one bank and use another as my dump bank.

The dump bank has an automatic counter that is free to people with an account. Ive asked and they do about 30,000 dollars worth of change every week.

Ive been seriously thinking about expanding this little hobby next year.

So far I have found 4 banks with similar type coins counters that are free to customers within 40 miles of me. Ive also found at least 4 banks that will sell me boxes of halves.

I'm trying to work out the logistics of buying 8000 dollars worth of halves every week. Getting it wont be a problem and so far at least, dumping the clad coins doesn't look like it will be a problem either.

Im hoping to average 0.5% silver. If I can do that Ill net 80 silver halves a week.

Any constructive advice? Anything I have missed?

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
First I hope you are not located in Va. :) And second it seems like you have a good plan. 8,000 in half dollars is alot to go through and a lot to dump. I say if you have the time to dedicate to it you will have some success. However if you got a family and kids like me I think I would soon be divorced. I am pushing it with 3,000 a week and a few road trips. LOL.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
It sounds like a feasible workable plan and I have no additional input if it works for you and your family go for it .... unless of course your in S.E. Michigan than I would say quit while your ahead! :tongue3:

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sounds like a good plan to me. If you are going to do 8k a week I'd get more than 4 dump banks though. I use ten dump banks myself.

I hope your plan pans out and you score big time.

Good Luck,

Rich

OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I would like to state here that the internet is your friend....lol

I have so far found 24 banks with automated coin counters that are free to account holders within 40 miles of me.

One of the reasons I want to get into this like this is I don't think that there are any CRH'ers anywhere near me. The closest one I am aware of lives about 45 miles north of me. I know of this because I tried to do a "road trip" and he had all the banks in that area holding their halves for him.

In addition so far my silver is running a little over 1%, meaning one silver half for every 100 coins searched. That wont last forever and I want to get as much silver as I can while the gettin' is good...

Id have to expand quite a bit to get into your territory golden silver but anything is possible right?

Coinmojo you are safe. I don't think you yankees have to worry about any of us coming up there. If only we could say the same about you....lol j/k

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some serious coin to go through, good luck!! I think after tax season I'm going to be looking at maybe a grand or two a week to play with.. maybe' a little more, we'll see.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a while I was doing 3-4K a week for about 6-8 different banks. It didnt really equate to much more silver. Just a lot more skunks and more clad to dump. The key is find that bank that is getting boxes that produce and pour your resources into that bank. If you get skunks from one carrier, go look for another one.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Plans look good. A couple of items I would add is to look for a dump bank outside your Fed district if possible. Since you are on the East coast it might be possible. Also, try dumping in to a single carriers office instead of multiple carriers.

Good luck and happy hunting.

65GT350

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
here are some lessons learned.

1. lift with the knees.

2. get a cart. get the one with the 660lb capacity on amazon. harbor freight sells it too.

3. those lobby coin counters will short you. they are not intended to be that accurate or do high volume. do not use them. if they short you more than 2 halves you are probably going backwards.

4. before ramping up, do the leg work and find a bank that will let you dump in bags. this is more important than even sourcing halves. you have to speak to the vault teller. her lane is usually closest to the vault. find out what is important to her. for example, some branches have a small coin vault so they want you to dump no sooner than the day the armored car picks up because they dont' have room for it overnight. start with the large, older branches in the commercial part of town like the main branch or whatever, not the new branch in the supermarket or in the new part of the suburbs.

5. if you are going to do that volume, its probably worth it to mark your dumps. there are not that many halves and eventually you are going to get your dumps.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
...and some banks prefer you dump in $1,000 bags, so they know they aren't going to sit on $250 in halves for months before they send them out.
I have a bank that just sent out bag, and asked if I could hold them until I had $1,000.
No problem!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread