Funny Story

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Stopped at the local fast food place last week and my bill was $6.15 so I laid out 13 50 cent pieces on the counter. The young lady behind the counter asked me what were they. I said 50 cent coins. She said who makes them? I said the US government. She said how much are they worth? I again said 50 cents. She said I don't think we take them here. I said why don't you ask the manager? She yells out for Tommy the mgr to come and help her. He walks from behind some equipment and asks what she needs. She said he wants to use these to buy his food and said they are made in the US. He said well, OK go ahead and take them. But make sure you don't get them mixed up with the quarters and give them out by accident!! I've been trying to spend about $50.00 per week of the 50 cent pieces and seem to get some funny looks, but this was the best story yet.

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I have a funny one too. I was dumping my halves yesterday and a lady looks over wide eyed and says are those the large dollars?? I said no they are the half dollars. She goes "Can I buy two from you?" I said sure. She gives me two dollars. LOL. It does not end there. I give her 4 half dollars for her two dollars and she asks, "have you gone through them already?" I said "yes." She procedes to go out to her car and get a twenty dollar bill. So I gladly gave her 40 clad half dollars. I think it is incredible that people see these things and assume they are the silver dollars. Wow.

I paid for gas one time with Ikes and the cashier said "this is not real money." I told her that in deed it was. So she went and showed the manager the ikes. She came back and said "you were right they are real money and the manager told me to put them aside for her to buy later." Great stories.

Golden Silver

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
Hahaha, great stories. Sometimes I end up going in to stores to "dump" halves and the faces I get from clerks always amuse me- it ranges from utter confusion to "This-guy-just-handed-me-a-steaming-pile-of-crap." Only once did I get a clerk who knew what they were and got a kick out of seeing them. He was like "Kids these days wouldn't even know what those are - I'm going to give them to them just to see the looks on their faces."

He was a hoot.
Geo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I ran a post last year and tried to get all the CRH's to jump in on it. I wanted to dedicate the month of August as
"I pay for everything in Halves Month"

It really is a great way to get the dumps into the hands of other people who will hoard them and we don't have to keep seeing them in our box searches a month down the road.

Another poster commented that it might give someone enough to fill a roll and turn them in at their bank.

I really feel that this would be an effective way to get them out of circulation for a while so we can dig deeper into that pallet of halves at Brinks or Loomis Insted of them just re wrapping them and shipping our dumps back to us in our next order.

Spend Spend Spend.....

Mojo

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
I agree, Mojo. If we send the halves back to the bank we're almost guaranteeing that they'll return to us. If we spend them or otherwise circulate them then chances are better that they'll stay out of the banks and coin servicing companies.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Some do end up keeping the halves but only on a small scale. Every little bit helps I suppose. I wish I had a few hundred grand to play with so I could just store the halves away until I filtered through entire pallets. But then again if I had few hundred grand to spare I probably would not be doing this hobbie. :laughing7:

Golden Silver

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden silver said:
Some do end up keeping the halves but only on a small scale. Every little bit helps I suppose. I wish I had a few hundred grand to play with so I could just store the halves away until I filtered through entire pallets. But then again if I had few hundred grand to spare I probably would not be doing this hobbie. :laughing7:

Golden Silver

Here, here. But you would have to find some way to spend your time..

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
coinmojo said:
I ran a post last year and tried to get all the CRH's to jump in on it. I wanted to dedicate the month of August as
"I pay for everything in Halves Month"

It really is a great way to get the dumps into the hands of other people who will hoard them and we don't have to keep seeing them in our box searches a month down the road.

I really feel that this would be an effective way to get them out of circulation for a while so we can dig deeper into that pallet of halves at Brinks or Loomis Insted of them just re wrapping them and shipping our dumps back to us in our next order.

Spend Spend Spend.....

Mojo
I remember that thread and even posted a similar thread in Feb '09:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,217561.msg1571492.html#msg1571492

I always keep about $50 in loose halves in the car for "incidental purchases". As you've stated, you're (very) likely to never see those halves again in circulation. 8)

Tried a new approach this weekend. I was working the front counter of the concession stand for a high school football game. (I always volunteer to work the counter, so I can handle the money, look for odd coin and talk it up with customers).

Thought I'd bring some halves with me (about $13), exchange it for $13 in bills before we started and give out halves as part of their change. Not only did no one complain, they all seemed genuinely happy to be getting a half dollar coin.

(memo to self: bump it up to $50 in halves for each game next year) 8)

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love spending them. The looks on peoples faces is priceless. Instantly most think they are old coins. I try to put as many as I can into circulation.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
The only sad part about spending these at Pizza joints or fast food places is that the kids working there can ill afford to invest $10 or $15 of their minimum wage on coins that they think are valuable.

But they are not blowing their money because they are still worth exactly what they paid for them, I guess, so forget what I said about being sad.....

Mojo

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probobly put almost 1/4th of all my dump halves back into circulation. Currency is curreny, people can't refuse them. It is funny when people act like they've never seen one before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread