Nov.27,2008- Today, One year of CRH

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Today marks one year of coin roll hunting for me.
They say as you get older time flies by,but it feels like I've been CRHing for 5 years instead of 1.
I started out with the usual beginners luck, snagging a couple solid rolls of 90's and even catching a silver eagle.
I'd do a couple of road trips a week and maybe hit a few banks before work.
By mid summer I was road tripping everyday.
Coming from a small State I thought I'd been everywhere. Not by a longshot. CRH brought me to towns I've never heard of.
I'm fascinated with the concept of beating the system by purchasing silver at face value from some of the biggest crooks in the world, and it brings me great satisfaction when I read about other peoples scores.
I suppose that's what has kept me in this hobby for a year.
Toward the end of last month the road trips although lucrative just became too time consuming. I had other activities I wanted to pursue, and in all truthfullness,I'd heard enough teller tales to last a lifetime.
So now, I'm content with doing 12 boxes a week,for as long as it lasts, hit or miss, and dumping the bones in a day.
Taking into consideration that I worked 2 jobs for the first four months of this hunting year,and never even getting close to snagging a dream box, I still think I did pretty well for myself.
Here is what I got.

The oldest coins were two 1893 Colombian Exposition halves which I just got last week. Before that it was an 1899 Barber dime.
The best foreign coin was a Greek silver 1964 20 Drachma (about the same size as a half dollar)
I tried a few nickel boxes and got 3 Buffaloes and 8 war nickels.
I harvested nearly 400 dimes, mostly Rosie's with a couple of Barbers,a few dozen Mercs and a dozen or so Canadians.
45 Quarters
Over two thousand halves, 2/3 of which were 40% and one very worn Barber.
A silver Ike, and the Eagle.

I'm not a coin collector. I like looking at an old coin and thinking about what the world was like back then. As for the rest, I sell them as soon as I can realize a profit. To buy more gizmo's and gadgets,of course !

HH

Rich

Upvote 0

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
Congrats on your one year!!! My anniversary is just around the corner.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Rich. Good Story Telling.

I hope that you top your findings in this your second year CRH.

My first aniversary was in Oct.

Darth Walker

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Rich on your milestone. Any goals for your 2nd year?

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
mountainman 2 said:
Congrats Rich on your milestone. Any goals for your 2nd year?

Just going to do 12 boxes a week until my dump banks drop me or they run out of silver. When that happens, I'll get myself a part-time job as a floating bank teller, or an armored car driver.

HH

Rich

supn9

Oct 21, 2009
Sounds neat. Move up in the chain and open your own bank, that will always have half dollars!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread