Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I once bought seven $20 rolls of Ikes. Kept one or two of each date. Then chemically dipped them. Instant BU-looking coin. Spent the rest. ffd

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I pick up a lot of Ike's these day's and sell lots of 80 to 100 coins on eBay and average about $1.30 per coin in lots of 80 - 100 It seems to be just barely worth my while but in the last year I have been selling lots whenever I get togeather enough to make up 4 or 5 or even 6 rolls of them in nice condition. I usually pull all the ugly ones and spend them.
In the last year I have picked up well over 1000 of them and I got to tell you I haven't found many 78's at all and most have been pretty scuffed up, so I would imagine you could get better than $1.30 ea. in bu condition on eBay if you are set up with an account.

In my opinion you have better luck selling larger lots as shipping will be spred across more coins. For instance,
If it cost me say $6.00 to ship a lot of 80 coins and the buyer pays the shipping it adds $.07 to their cost of ea. coin.
If I sold a lot of 20 coins and charge $6 s&h it adds $.30 to the cost of ea. coin.
If I sell 100 coins that burden to the buyer becomes $.06 ea.

I can fit 6 rolls in a small flat rate box and if you / $6 x 120 it only add a $.05 burden to ea. coin.

But like I said the 78's to me are a good find.

Mojo

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Fistfulladirt said:
I once bought seven $20 rolls of Ikes. Kept one or two of each date. Then chemically dipped them. Instant BU-looking coin. Spent the rest. ffd

What is this Kemichal you dips'em in? Am wondering if it will clean up extremely dirty Silver coins(?).

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
obediah said:
Fistfulladirt said:

What is this Kemichal you dips'em in? Am wondering if it will clean up extremely dirty Silver coins(?).
I have used "Connoisseurs" silver jewelry cleaner. I no longer dip coins, altho I tried it on 20 or so silvers. If you dip a silver coin with little or no wear, it dissolves any tarnish or patina leaving a brilliantly uncirculated-looking coin.
Sometimes I achieve the same results using a little wet baking soda, lightly rubbing the coin between two fingers.
Chem-dips work great on heavily tarnished silver coins.
I would never suggest cleaning a silver coin that has any numismatic value.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Fistfulladirt said:
obediah said:
Fistfulladirt said:

I have used "Connoisseurs" silver jewelry cleaner. I no longer dip coins, altho I tried it on 20 or so silvers. If you dip a silver coin with little or no wear, it dissolves any tarnish or patina leaving a brilliantly uncirculated-looking coin.
Sometimes I achieve the same results using a little wet baking soda, lightly rubbing the coin between two fingers.
Chem-dips work great on heavily tarnished silver coins.
I would never suggest cleaning a silver coin that has any numismatic value.

Have tried Tarn-X on dirty coins it did nothing. Occasionally get a Silver one that is just sooo dirty, just thinkin about cleaning them if can find an effective way, basically junk Silver coins. Sell them on Ebay, have a small stack of really dirty ones would like to clean & sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread