Dumping silver coins...

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
The bank I use as a dump bank has a coin counter that is free to people with an account.

I went to dumb the last of this weeks halves just now and there was a fellow who stood in line behind me waiting to dump a medium sized jar worth of coins.

As I am waiting in line to get my receipt cashed, he is loading his coins in, and I see as the counter eventually made it up to 271.50. Judging by how fast the amount added up, I would guess he had all dimes or mostly dimes.

As we are waiting in line he asked me how long it took me to build up to 1000 worth of halves...lol. I lied and told him quite a while...

Eventually he casually mentioned to me that the coins he dumped were silver.

I fought the urge to say anything, as this bank does not know where I am getting my coins and if I throw a fit over some silver dimes they might put two and two together.

I ended up asking why he didn't take the dimes to a coin dealer and he explained that silver dimes were only worth about 11 cents each and it just wasn't worth his time to take them to a coin dealer....

I'm slightly sick now... if those coins were all silver there was likely 3400 plus dollars worth of silver....

I wonder if there is a way I can sly my way into buying that bag of dimes tomorrow?

Upvote 0

jay741

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2009
wow lol that sucks. it might be worth trying to get the them. were you able to see anything when he was dumping?. i dont have any experience with self operated machine all the banks i use are teller operated

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Do you think he might have been lying to you? If he knew enough to bring up that they were silver, surely he would know they are worth more than 1 penny over face value.

I have heard some CRHers here write "silver" and "Franklins" on rolls of halves they dumped to mess with somebody such as a teller who cherrypicks, etc.

I would bet that the guy at the bank was doing the same to you for a laugh.

Jim

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located? I might be able to help out with this. :evil7:

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
Have your wife or girlfriend, cousin, sister, brother or friend go buy those dimes. Come on, be creative. You can get them.

OWS

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
DUDE! You HAVE to DEMAND to buy that bag! It's basically a dream bag if it has as much silver as you say!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a better answer...more likely to be successful too.

Find someone you trust and have them go to that bank and say that they had a collection of old silver dimes that they have been saving for years that were cashed in by mistake by XYZ relative when they grabbed the wrong jar. Have your friend explain that he/she believes that they were taken to this bank and run through the coin machine and is there any way "pretty please" that you could let me check and possibly buy back my collection?

Make sure your friend knows what they are looking for though so they can properly say if they see them or not.

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the guy was just yanking your chain! He saw your halves and knew you were a CRHer too and was just having a little fun. :laughing7:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
sneak said:
I think the guy was just yanking your chain! He saw your halves and knew you were a CRHer too and was just having a little fun. :laughing7:

Exactly. Nobody would say "Hey, I just dumped a bunch of silver dimes", if they were infact SILVER.

Now, if he had said, I just got rid of a bunch of really old dimes I had since I was a kid, or old funny looking dimes that my grandma saved for years..., etc., then maybe he would be telling the truth.

Might be worth checking out though just to be sure. But I would bet they were not silver.

Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
even though i agree with the majority about the guy pulling your leg if it were me i would just have to check. send somebody after that bag, or you can tell them yourself that you dumped the wrong can of dimes yesterday by mistake and you want to buy the bag back.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I resist the temptation to look at bags(that I cannot possibly get) as they are being changed.

Rich

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GET THOSE DIMES!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
if the guy knew they were silver then its very hard to believe he didn't know what they were worth. i think he's pulling your leg.

if you want to be certain, here's what you do. buy 2 boxes of dimes. sort them. dump the rejects in the machine. when the bag fills beg the teller to let you buy it.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
placerman said:
As we are waiting in line "he asked me" how long it took me to build up to 1000 worth of halves...lol. I lied and told him quite a while...
Eventually "he casually mentioned to me that the coins he dumped were silver".
I ended up asking why he didn't take the dimes to a coin dealer and "he explained that silver dimes were only worth about 11 cents each" and it just wasn't worth his time to take them to a coin dealer....

I copied part of your story and put the bold face lies in bold lettering. IMHO

If he truly new they were silver and inquired about their value at a coin dealer. he would certainly sold them to the dealer for 11 cents rather than go to another location and dump them at face. Also the cheepest and scammieast coin shops would have at least offered 3 to 8 x face given today's prices.

He was pulling your leg because he initiated the conversation as well.

Mojo

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
You should have been able to hear it if it was silver.
I heard that once behind me and immediately stopped him and gave him 2X face for all his silver before he could dump any more. We were both thrilled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions