$1000 dolla bill yall

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
$1000 dolla bill ya'll

Just thought I'd post it because I found it interesting...I was dropping coin yesterday at a local bank I visit nearly once a week. The lady next to me was attempting to cash in a 1000 dollar bill. I asked her where she got it and she stated that her father had it for quite some time and she had to cash it to pay a bill.

It was pretty neat looking with One thousand dollars printed in whatever font it is on the middle of the back. I left and was wondering how much they sell for. I call my buddy to find out they sell for 1300 to 1400 depending on the condition. I call back to the bank and to see if I could purchase it and they said they turned her away because there was no way they could tell whether or not it was real. Bummer, I like to think it was real but am glad I didn't offer to buy it directly off her as I know very little about bills.

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Re: $1000 dolla bill ya'll

phrostie said:
Just thought I'd post it because I found it interesting...I was dropping coin yesterday at a local bank I visit nearly once a week. The lady next to me was attempting to cash in a 1000 dollar bill. I asked her where she got it and she stated that her father had it for quite some time and she had to cash it to pay a bill.

It was pretty neat looking with One thousand dollars printed in whatever font it is on the middle of the back. I left and was wondering how much they sell for. I call my buddy to find out they sell for 1300 to 1400 depending on the condition. I call back to the bank and to see if I could purchase it and they said they turned her away because there was no way they could tell whether or not it was real. Bummer, I like to think it was real but am glad I didn't offer to buy it directly off her as I know very little about bills.

That cracks me up- turned her away cause they did not know if it was real, a Bank, what a laffffff.

I had one once that was bleached gold colored like and just last week a gas station clerk & then Mgr would not take a $2 bill that was torn- told'em then just call Cops cause I was leaving and was NOT gonna take $2 bill back! Mgr followed me out tryingto get me to what am not sure I just ignored him and drove off.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most US bills say somewhere on them "This note is legal tender for all debts, public or private", which means that they MUST take them. I'd've told them the same thing, that is, that they cannot refuse it and that either they accept it or that the debt is negated. My father had to do that once when the smallest bill he had was a hundred, and the clerk was refusing to take it. He said, "either accept it or call the cops, because I'm trying to pay and you're refusing my payment. So take it and give me the change. If you don't, I'm leaving."

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

supn9

Oct 21, 2009

obediah said:
phrostie said:

That cracks me up- turned her away cause they did not know if it was real, a Bank, what a laffffff.

I had one once that was bleached gold colored like and just last week a gas station clerk & then Mgr would not take a $2 bill that was torn- told'em then just call Cops cause I was leaving and was NOT gonna take $2 bill back! Mgr followed me out tryingto get me to what am not sure I just ignored him and drove off.

Tell me about it.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

due to the war on drugs all bills larger than $100 were demonetized by the US government. Not only are they not required to cash them at banks they are supposed to either seize them or get your name so the feds can come by and seize them. If you ever find any in bad shape and want to cash them you need to get across the border and present them at any foriegn bank. If they are in nice condition there are many dealers who will buy them for a premium I'm only talking about cashing in the basket cases. siegfried schlagrule

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006

I have also ran intop trouble cashing in old bills.I had a few 1950 large bills that were pretty ratty took them to bank and took 20 minutes and the manager to get out.I discovered that all bills printed before {I believe 1957} but could be 59 will raise suspicion with pen test.It shows up much darked than new bills but not quite as dark as counterfiet.Manager told me to never ever try to spend them at convienece stores or gas stations they stand good chance of being confinscated and police called.The bad part is she told me most cops would not know that as even most younger or newer bank tellers dont.She informed me i could expect lots of time in police station trying to get it straighted out as well as issues getting my money back lol....Next time i was in a different back and teller had an old 5.00 told her to try the pen and she was shocked...she had never heard of such a thing,called manager over and surprised her as well.So be very careful in your travels...jon

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

I'd love to buy a $1,000 BILL. I have a $500 that I was able to get this past year, but no luck on a $1,000 bill yet.

I'd have bought it from her, right hen and there. I seriously doubt it was counterfeit, especially comig from a lady whose father had it for numerous (or many) years. COunterfeiters know that $1,000 bills draw suscipion so they normally do $100 and $50 bills. Now the yalso do $20 bills quite often.

This would have beena nice find. And you could sell it on ebay for a nice profit if you didn't want it.

:-)

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

the 500 and 1000 are on my want list too. i am hoping to pick one up at face, but so far no luck.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

I've seen thousand dollar bills sold at auction for less than a thousand. the auctioneer ALWAYS says you can take it to the bank and get $1000.00. I was always suspicious of that. Good thing I did't buy one cheaqp and tryu to cash it in.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From the US Treasury website:

Question What denominations of currency notes is the Treasury Department no longer printing?

Answer On July 14, 1969, David M. Kennedy, the 60th Secretary of the Treasury, and officials at the Federal Reserve Board announced that they would immediately stop distributing currency in denominations of $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000. Production of these denominations stopped during World War II. Their main purpose was for bank transfer payments. With the arrival of more secure transfer technologies, however, they were no longer needed for that purpose. While these notes are legal tender and may still be found in circulation today, the Federal Reserve Banks remove them from circulation and destroy them as they are received.

This is from http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/currency/denominations.shtml

So they are not illegal to own and you can turn them in to a knowledgible banker I guess, some uneducated bankers may not be aware of the legal status or history of the note. If you go to turn one in, just have the banker go to the US Treasury's website to learn about them if they do not already know.

HH,

Scott (MI)

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Scott (Mich) said:
From the US Treasury website:

Question What denominations of currency notes is the Treasury Department no longer printing?

Answer On July 14, 1969, David M. Kennedy, the 60th Secretary of the Treasury, and officials at the Federal Reserve Board announced that they would immediately stop distributing currency in denominations of $500, $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000. Production of these denominations stopped during World War II. Their main purpose was for bank transfer payments. With the arrival of more secure transfer technologies, however, they were no longer needed for that purpose. While these notes are legal tender and may still be found in circulation today, the Federal Reserve Banks remove them from circulation and destroy them as they are received.

This is from http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/currency/denominations.shtml

So they are not illegal to own and you can turn them in to a knowledgible banker I guess, some uneducated bankers may not be aware of the legal status or history of the note. If you go to turn one in, just have the banker go to the US Treasury's website to learn about them if they do not already know.

HH,

Scott (MI)

Thank you Scott! :thumbsup: I don't think any US currency has ever been demonetized!

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

would have bought it on the spot from her if she was old and nothing suspicious, i have seen fake 1s-100s though, we got a 1k black light test that shows the strip color that should line up with corresponding bill, i am dying to get a 100 that corresponds to a 20, (some counterfeiters are washing the ink off on a smaller bill to print 100s to make the paper real)

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

jonhls said:
I have also ran intop trouble cashing in old bills.I had a few 1950 large bills that were pretty ratty took them to bank and took 20 minutes and the manager to get out.I discovered that all bills printed before {I believe 1957} but could be 59 will raise suspicion with pen test.It shows up much darked than new bills but not quite as dark as counterfiet.Manager told me to never ever try to spend them at convienece stores or gas stations they stand good chance of being confinscated and police called.The bad part is she told me most cops would not know that as even most younger or newer bank tellers dont.She informed me i could expect lots of time in police station trying to get it straighted out as well as issues getting my money back lol....Next time i was in a different back and teller had an old 5.00 told her to try the pen and she was shocked...she had never heard of such a thing,called manager over and surprised her as well.So be very careful in your travels...jon

Those pen marks from counterfeit test destroy the value of old paper too. Feds were all over bloomington, illinois when a man tried to cash a $10,000 bill and the bank tried to seize it. He grabbed it back and left. That doesn't jive with their website but it happened in the late 1970s and there were not only lots of witnesses there were many treasure hunters in that town who got a visit from the feds trying to find the guy. I stand by my advice for anyone who wants to cash one in bad shape or sell one for a premium. Why would you want to volunteer for the third degree and extra taxes? Just so you can get your face in the newspaper? siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread