Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D.W. , I'm glad you asked the questions about the 1970 halves - I've always wondered about
values for them . My redbook (2009) says the 1970D in MS-63 is a $20.00 coin - with a mintage
of 2,150,000 . The 1970 S was apparently only issued in proof sets -with a mintage of 2,632,000
it lists for $16.00 . I forgot to mention - the 1970-D was only issued in mint sets. So... I guess
I'd pay $10 or $15.00 for either one of these if they were in at least MS-63 condition. I think
you stand a decent chance of finding one in the wild , I recently found the 1995 S silver proof
half , which has a low mintage of only 679,000 - redbooks for $80.00 - of course mine is
impaired by circulation. Hope this is helpful- Argentium.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have found a total of 3 1970D and 1 1970S halfs in the wild over the past year. they are possible to find but as said they will be impaired most of time and not in the best of condition. if you want one for a set i would pay the coin dealer price and get one in collector condition. you may still find a nice one in the wild but the odds are you won't. they are fun to find though

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just hunt for them. I find NIFC's almost every time I roll hunt halves. Recently I found a 1985 and 1980 Both proof coins in my last hunt, in brilliant condition. That is very lucky though, but it does happen. 1970 coins are rare, I haven't found one yet, but I will.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
silvercop said:
i have found a total of 3 1970D and 1 1970S halfs in the wild over the past year. they are possible to find but as said they will be impaired most of time and not in the best of condition. if you want one for a set i would pay the coin dealer price and get one in collector condition. you may still find a nice one in the wild but the odds are you won't. they are fun to find though

I too have 5 of them 3 of one 2 of the other 1970d's and proof "s's" got them put way away just remember finding them this year.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Darth Walker said:
Went to my coin dealer and asked if he had any 1970 halves for sale.

He said he will look for some but that the selling price will be from $10 to $15 since it is 40% silver and it is a
NIFC.

Would you buy a 1970 halves for that price or it is just worthy to find it while CRH

DW

If you really want one for your collection, you should buy one. You can get them in perfect shape that way. $10-$15 is not bad for one in BU condition. They usually break them out of mint sets to sell seperate, so there is no reason to buy one that is impaired in any way.

I have found 3 or so of them, but that was early on in my CRHing career when there weren't hardly any other CRHers in my area and the finds were somewhat plentiful. The only way a 1970d gets out is through breaking open a mint set, that is why there are not too many floating around.

Jim

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
$9-10 is a good price for fair BU ones. Higher grade can get $20.

The proof seems to be less expensive - $6-9

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
scotty1418 said:
$9-10 is a good price for fair BU ones. Higher grade can get $20.

The proof seems to be less expensive - $6-9

BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) is the highest grade. There are different MS ratings a coin may get depending on strike, bag marks, etc, but a BU should not be below MS-60 and should show no wear otherwise it would be an AU if otherwise in great shape.

Jim

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
jim4silver said:
BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) is the highest grade. There are different MS ratings a coin may get depending on strike, bag marks, etc, but a BU should not be below MS-60 and should show no wear otherwise it would be an AU if otherwise in great shape.

Jim

Jim, I respectfully disagree. The bag marks that knock a coin down to 60-63 would constitute a form of wear in the lightest sense. Also, While Brilliantly Uncirculated would encompass MS quality, you can further quantify it with "Choice BU" or "Gem BU" to specify the higher grades of MS. This is all going off my understanding of the 70 point system, so maybe I have missed a few lessons here or there.

Scott

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
scotty1418 said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Jim, I respectfully disagree. The bag marks that knock a coin down to 60-63 would constitute a form of wear in the lightest sense. Also, While Brilliantly Uncirculated would encompass MS quality, you can further quantify it with "Choice BU" or "Gem BU" to specify the higher grades of MS. This is all going off my understanding of the 70 point system, so maybe I have missed a few lessons here or there.

Scott

I agree with what you are saying and see what you meant. I think your use of the term "fair" in the prior post with reference to BU is what I did not understand.

Jim

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot on ebay, pretty easy to buy under $8-10

Top Member Reactions