MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!!

Me and a friend are always on the look out for coins. Well my friend found a bank with around 100 BU Rolls of 2000 D and other date Sacajawea Golden Dollars still in the mint wrap. (These are getting hard to find!) We will be buying up most/all of them soon and I got my first roll today. We will also be selling them on ebay and list them in the Treasurenet.com Ebay Treasures Forum. (Bellow)

(Here)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?board=199.0

Here is a picture!! Also pictured is the coin rings I am making, and the spoon I am using to make them, and a thumb tack for Scale.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Attachments

• Christmas05 012.jpg
    Christmas05 012.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 639
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really you can't find these still in the mint wrap they sell on ebay for $35.00 a roll for a Tail/Tail Roll and $50.00 a roll for a Heads/Tail Roll. This is a Heads/Tail Roll I just want people to understand they are a rare find.

Keep @ it and HH!!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Nice finds mud :o Do you ask for these mint rolls or do you just get them? I have got hundreds of bucks in rolls and not one mint wrapped roll :-\

Hothgar

Aug 1, 2005
Nice find man - i still havent happened upon anything neat like that in terms of mint wrapped goodies.

Hothgar

Jack Burton

Greenie
Apr 30, 2005
Good luck with your rings. I have made a total of 7 coin rings by now and am working on my 8th. How long have you been banging those coins out? I used to use a spoon as well but switched to a small machinists hammer and it goes much faster.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Jake and Hothgar Just keep looking!! Its best to sneak up to the subject of mint wrapped goodies. When they find out they are worth something they seem to disappear fast. I say do you have any rolled dollars/quarters and can you bring me out a few rolls? If they bring out mint rolls you take them right then and don't say a word and go.(You may want to ask them to hold them) If they bring out bank rolls, you just ask if they have or can get mint rolls. Technically speaking you should ask to get them because they sell their bank rolls first.

Jack thanks a lot!! They are the first ones I have ever made I started about 2-3 months ago. I would say I have worked on them a total of 3 hours. I am working very slow, infact almost not at all. A hammer hu, may switch to that! I am one for immediate gratification and this coin and MD thing is teaching me patience.

Keep them commin please!
Keep @ it and HH!!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Nice rings, a spoon must take for ever though..I used a hammer and made one out of a clad quarter awhile ago..

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,

You should clean/polish your half first, NORTHEAST HUNTER or you will hammer dirt into it!

I don't think you can have much of a time difference. A steal spoon is pretty darn hard. Won't the hammer make it harder to hit even.

Keep @ it and HH!!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Im sure using a spoon will make it come out alot better. I remember the hole was the hardest part, do you have any step by step picks?

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I found this hammered dime in one of the rolls that I searched yesterday. I guess someone altered it, and decided they didn't want it. ??? I'm keeping it because it's different to me, and I know I would never know how to make it into a ring-but it's still a keeper. :)

Also, when I picked up some rolls of coins yesterday an elderly man was in line waiting for a specific teller. I overheard a small part of the conversation as my transaction was ending and I certainly couldn't just stand there and listen. lol Seems the man asked the teller if she could order some type of rolled coins for him and the teller told him that she got them for him. So it must have been some special request, maybe mint rolls. I know the rolls that I buy at that bank are from Brinks in the plastic wrappers. I also asked my teller if she had any Ikes, and she didn't but she did say she had rolls of Sac dollars and Susan B Anthony dollars. I didn't want any but thanked her for offering them to me.

Attachments

• Hammered Dime2.jpg
    Hammered Dime2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 563
OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coin, cool story Pennyworth get some of those mint wraps its those coins that will stay nice and be worth a lot in 50 years! They are also fun to own!

I don't have any step by step pics but I was going to post progress pics!

Step 1. Clean Coins with a coin cleaner or Tarn-X ;D (Don't worry its one of the only times you will get to clean a coin with Tarn-X, your just going to Pound the Sh.... Crap out of it anyway.

Step 2. Hold coin in the center so coin is flat with finger and thumb. Start hitting the reed-ed edge flat with the edge of the coin flat against the spoon or hammer when you strike it.

Coin edge strike here! -----> ======

Make sure you turn the coin and flip it often as you go!

Step 3. Hammer until its the thickness and size you like and need.
(Most are Hammered until the date and a little more are rolled into the inside)

Step 4. Drill out center and polish to your ring size.

Step 5. Sport your new bling bling!!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread