Semi-Retired Just Found Site, wondering what to do

daxcess

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
I used to do some of this in the late 50's and early 60's when I was a kid. We'd go to banks looking for special coins and buy rolls of dimes searching for Mercurys. We made friends with one of the tellers and we'd stand in line on Friday nights along with the folks doing real banking. Quarters were too hard since my father wouldn't lend me the $10 to buy the rolls and each find cost me too much. I mowed lawns and did odd jobs for spending money.

I found a lot of coins and built my Mercury and Roosevelt collection this way. I still have it.

Now suddenly today I ran across this site and I find real folks doing this. I get the dump part and there are a few TD Banks around here.

BUT: What do you all do with the finds?

Tom

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum! The finds are still out there. I just now pulled 2 mercs out of 1 box of dimes.....what do we do with our finds? Me, I hoard. Won't sell. Ever!

ffd

OP
OP
D

daxcess

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Thank you and I agree, but I see that some are looking for real silver halves. What do they do with them? Is there any money in this?

OP
OP
D

daxcess

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks I followed the link and see the silver value, but isn't there some numismatic value to be considered?

I don't mean to be nit picking here but if there's a money trail and I have the time, I'll follow it.

Tom

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
OP
OP
D

daxcess

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
8) Slow down son, I'm just getting my feet wet.

But thanks to you and the others, I'm learning fast.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
daxcess said:
8) Slow down son, I'm just getting my feet wet.

But thanks to you and the others, I'm learning fast.
What part of Country you in, some do better than others, ofcourse it is mostly luck and turning consistent volume of coins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Been doing this for 2 years, as a hobby. I have made some decent finds and have probably broke even on gasoline costs. Not a whole lot of numismatic value to the finds here, although some nice coins have been found. I am purely a collector, I do too well at my full-time job to take this seriously. Good luck! ffd

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
If your looking to make money, than this is the hobbyfor you, if you consider less than minimum wage a money making opportunity.

Also looking for mercury Dimes in the 50's and 60's you probably found some in every roll.

I'm here to tell you that I have searched well over $25,000 in dimes in 2009 and pulled a total of 15 Mercury dimes and just over 500 Silver Rosie's. But the bulk of the Rosie's came from 3 individual lucky days when I found solid rolls of silver. My average on $1000 bag was around 4 or 5 and most report an average of 1 per box of $250. I have also been consistently shorted on dime bags of $1000 they are usually around $5 short and the coincounters at my dump bank often count dimes as penny's

I would have to say dimes are risky but you will find some silver just count on getting lots of Canadian and being shorted. I recently bought $300 in hand rolls and pulled 7 Silver's but also got shorted on several rolls as much as 40 to 50 cents a roll and one roll was 50 pennies in a dime wrapper......... Buyer beware. For a better chance at not getting shorted stick to machine rolls but the hand rolls reap higher rewards, as I said solid rolls of silver x 4 in 2009 all hand rolled.

Mojo

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
daxcess said:
New York Metro area
Good luck with that area, I know a guy on another forum from there who can't get any banks to order him boxes aside from the "courtesy" box (courtesy box means they'll do this one time and one time only). Sure glad I don't live there, I've been courtesied here a time or three but I also have at least 10 banks that order for me every week. HH Mark

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
obediah said:
daxcess said:
Thank you and I agree, but I see that some are looking for real silver halves. What do they do with them? Is there any money in this?

You wont get rich, I sell mine on Ebay ocasionally just listed a 125 coin lot today that will sell Sat. Had a good last year found 5444.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280447781732&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:I

You can do me favor ;D and get bidding started at say $200

I bid $10 to get you started. ;D

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

quick-silver

Feb 26, 2009
NY
daxcess said:
New York Metro area

Small World...i'm from that area as well, Northern Westchester actually, seems to be a lot of CRH'ers in this area, as all the halves i find are always dumps and banks seem hesitant to order boxes, so i stick to pennies and nickels. Good luck and Welcome!

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
WOW, thanks Daniel! Over hundred bucks is good start on 2nd one, 1st one is still 10 and some change (hint, hint) :laughing7: .

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Thanks Tim, you a real friend :headbang: . Goodnite, think will set my alarm for 1 am so can see our 1st snow event begin, they say it should start by then.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
New York Metro area
WHEW.....when you said TD bank i was worried about some new competition but your further north...i'm in Philly and TD is the best dump bank.(FREE, NO ACCOUNT) however they'll beat you to death on the dimes if they aren't calibrated right (which they say they do daily). some will be counted as pennies......someone here lost $50 in dimes being counted as pennies. most i ever got beat for was like $7 or $8

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
mistergee said:
New York Metro area
WHEW.....when you said TD bank i was worried about some new competition but your further north...i'm in Philly and TD is the best dump bank.(FREE, NO ACCOUNT) however they'll beat you to death on the dimes if they aren't calibrated right (which they say they do daily). some will be counted as pennies......someone here lost $50 in dimes being counted as pennies. most i ever got beat for was like $7 or $8

That would be me... >:( But I'm not alone :'(

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread