Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So hereā€™s whatā€™s been going on with me. I really like CRHing, this forum, and most of the people here. I canā€™t CRH much anymore, as my unemployment streak ended and I now work hours that do not allow me to visit banks. So, I miss CRHing.
When I was younger, I broke out a couple of my upper front teeth in a spectacular bicycle accident (think Evil Knievel, only with more balls and altitude). The dentists capped ā€˜em with a resin that lasted for several years, but then would periodically break off and I need to go in for repairs. Well, last Saturday, I chipped one of them, so I went to the dentist on Monday and we decided that a crown would be a more permanent fix, so we set that up for today. Yesterday, the gums around one of my wisdom teeth began to swell and caused me considerable pain last night (so much so that sleep became impossible). So, I went to the dentist for the crown today, and told them about the wisdom tooth (also mentioning to them that theyā€™re now suspect, since I didnā€™t have a problem with it before I visited them, and that they may have been the culprits needing job security in these uncertain times). They quickly laughed that off and decided that a costly x-ray of my entire head was necessary (also suspect). So they did a full head x-ray, and I HAVE NO BRAIN!!!! Just kidding, itā€™s small, but definitely there. What was Iā€¦oh, yeah, the x-ray. The wisdom tooth with the infection is, as I suspected, impacted, never even wanted to surface, and the damn thing is completely sideways in my head. These dentists donā€™t handle that type of complicated extraction, which probably means that whoever does will need to take it out through my lower back and will entail the removal and reassembly of my entire lower jaw and much of my upper neck. They then proceeded to call an oral surgeon and we set up an appointment for tomorrow at 8:30. They then asked how I was feeling. I lied and said that I was good to go as long as I donā€™t take any anesthetics, so that I could eat a buttload of food later to store up energy for tomorrowā€™s debacle. We went ahead with the crown, they ground the old tooth to nothing, and after 3 hours of discomfort and several molds taken, they made me a temporary tooth to hold me over until the crown is made and I get that installed in two weeks. Iā€™m feeling like crap, I have no dental insurance, I canā€™t work, Iā€™ll be spending around two grand on activities that only a masochist would enjoy, and I havenā€™t had a cigarette in 5 days (blasted Resolutions). So I call in to work to let the boss know whatā€™s going on and that not only would I be out today, but tomorrow as well, and I proceed to go to the bank to withdraw the money to cover the operation. While there, Iā€™m thinkinā€™ that this is a rare opportunity and shouldnā€™t be passed up, so I bought a box of nickels to perhaps cheer me up. Itā€™s the first nickel box Iā€™ve searched in ages. It did cheer me up as I found 3 dateless buffalo nickels, and Iā€™m sure that some of the more astute observers here will observe that one of them can be dated. I also found a ā€˜45D war nickel which I needed for my album. Iā€™m sure that it was the best nickel box Iā€™ve ever bought, although if I recall correctly, I did have one produce 2 buffalos and 3 war nickels. As for my album, I now only lack the elusive ā€˜50D, ā€˜38S & ā€˜38D. Iā€™d also like another ā€˜39D. The only one that Iā€™ve found was in such nice condition that I couldnā€™t put it in the album and instead chose to put it in a flip. Iā€™ve said before that buffalo nickels are my favorite American coin, with the possible exception of the incuse quarter and half eagle gold coins of the early 20th century. Thanks for reading my rambles and rants. My next one may not be so coherent as I intend to do some more searching with my good friends Mr. Oxycontin and Ms. Percocet as I recover from the extractions tomorrow. And for those of you who made it all the way to the end, here are some pics as a reward for your hard work. The MS66 ā€˜38D was a gift.
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Love that 38D Sorry to hear about the dental issues.

I too for some reason am fond of the Buffalo Nickle. Something about it as a kid it seemed to stand out most in my mind. Could be because of all the westerns that were on TV back in the 60's I guess it sort of reminded me of the "Lone Ranger" or something?

Mojo

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the teeth. Sound like quite a nightmare. Also congrats on ending unemplyment, I know its hard getting by without a job. Does ruin the freedom of CRH but your better off in the long run.

I also think the buffalo is one of my favorite coins. Just something about it makes me dream about the wild west. Love finding them in rolls, so I search them when the silver has run dry.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Kantuk;
Oral surgery! What a way to start the new year!!
I wish you full success and a speedy recovery. Congratulations on getting back to work. I would bet a three-legged buffalo nickel that you will find a way to include some CRH activities into your working schedule.
Very best of luck, Grizz

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the kind words y'all.

The wisdom teeth have been removed, and the procedure wasn't nearly as long or as bad as I thought it would be. It only took them about 50 minutes to get them out, so when I heard that, I knew that the general intravenous anaethesia wouldn't be necessary. Heck, the regular dentists had me on the table for about 3 hours yesterday without any anaesthesia.

No bet on the 3-legged buffalo Mr. Grizz. There are two tiny banks in the town that I'm working in, and I'll stop by periodically on my lunch break (when I can) to check for halves.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread