a REPEAT visitor to the 1970 club

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
Yesterday I went on a small road trip which I finally was able to get some silver halves! My boxes of late have been atrocious to say the least. I, on average, get ~ 40 ozs of silver in coins per month. December yielded only 16.6 ozs...by far my lowest ever. But I continue to trudge on dreaming of sunnier days with boxes. Yesterday I was able to grab a brinks box and ~ $100 in rolled halves from customers.

I found...

1 Walking Liberty
2 Ben's
1 64
30 40s (1970-D included; one roll had 15 40s in it).

A teller at the bank where I scored the 1970 at stated she had to save $5 back for someone who had called in. When she was counting the halves from her tray I noticed that 2 of the ones she was holding back for him were silver. I said, Can I have those ones instead of the ones you counted out (as mine were all clad). She couldn't comprehend why and almost argued with me over it stating they were the exact same. I said, "I think those ones are luckier." The two silvers I spotted ended up being a 40 and 1 Benjamin Franklin!

Happy Huntin' all!

~phrostie

Upvote 0

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
Ok, so I'm the nub around here and I have a million questions. Mine for you is what's special about the 1970 d?

=)

Bryan

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
The_Griffyn said:
Ok, so I'm the nub around here and I have a million questions. Mine for you is what's special about the 1970 d?

=)

Bryan
Low mintage, only sold is mint sets meaning someone has to break one open and spend it for us to find any. The first one is the hardest. HH Mark

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Silver Stripe said:
The_Griffyn said:

Bryan
Low mintage, only sold is mint sets meaning someone has to break one open and spend it for us to find any. The first one is the hardest. HH Mark

The 2nd and 3rd ones were pretty hard to come by as well. I have maneged to find 3 in the 4 years that I have been CRH'g..... and I search literally a ton of halves every month!.... Well ok 1250 pounds in Dec.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread