apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. I am a first timer. On Wednesday, I will go to my bank and purchase $100 in halves, if the bank has them on hand. I know by viewing all these posts, it is a small pitance compared to the $500 boxes, etc., but I am a newby and have a bit of apprehension here. So here is my basic plan: I walk up to the teller and ask her/him if they have any "halves." Hopefully, they will say yes, I will collect my rolls and walk out the door, go home, unroll them, and cross my fingers I have some silver, go on the internet to identify any Franklins, Kennedys, etc--cause I don't have a clue what is what. Then, open another bank account across town or another town, deposit the traditional "clad" and start over again.

Do I have it down?
apush

Upvote 0

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
Why a different bank? Is it bad form to re-roll and deposit back at the bank what you didn't keep?

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
I'm ok with it. I'm new and wouldn't expect any less :laughing7: :laughing7:

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
In the spirit of kindness you don't dump in your purchase bank for several reasons. That bank did you a favor and you don't want to annoy them by causing them extra work. The major reason even if you don't care about causing them a hassle is that if you put them in and take them out of the
same bank you get your own skunks back and you are contsantly checking
the same coins with the same or worse results. Since most folks do not have unlimited time to check rolls they like to be checking rolls that they have not seen before. siegfried schlagrule

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Ahhh.. well that makes sense. My CRH consists of the occasional $25 in mixed rolls because I'm not even close to being able to afford boxes. I'm proudly serving my country, but I don't make enough to really do much at all. I bought $25 in mixed rolls today from my bank, inclusive of a $10 roll of halves. My take? A 1950 d wheat cent, a 2005 S cent (appears uncirculated), and a 1973 S that's pretty tore up.

You have to start somewhere though I suppose.

EDIT: I also got 11 pre-1982 coppers.

-Bryan

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
FingerGrime said:
The_Griffyn said:
Why a different bank? Is it bad form to re-roll and deposit back at the bank what you didn't keep?

Prepare yourself for the onslaught!!!

Hahaha you have that right :laughing7:

DO NOT RETURN COINS TO THE SAME BANK THAT YOU GOT THEM FROM!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't return coins to the same bank that you bought them from??? I didn't know that. I've been doing most of my searching in bank lobbies. That way I can return the ones that I don't want without having to even carry them to my truck.

Now that you mention it though, the tellers do seem a little annoyed when I buy a box of pennies for $25.00 and then spill the remaining 2,488 loose pennies on the counter (I only keep the wheats), add a dime and a nickel, and ask for another box and 3 cents. I thought that maybe they were mad that I was taking the entire basket of suckers to my sofa to aid in my search.

Thanks for the advice,
Kantuck

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Kantuckkeean said:
You shouldn't return coins to the same bank that you bought them from??? I didn't know that. I've been doing most of my searching in bank lobbies. That way I can return the ones that I don't want without having to even carry them to my truck.

Now that you mention it though, the tellers do seem a little annoyed when I buy a box of pennies for $25.00 and then spill the remaining 2,488 loose pennies on the counter (I only keep the wheats), add a dime and a nickel, and ask for another box and 3 cents. I thought that maybe they were mad that I was taking the entire basket of suckers to my sofa to aid in my search.

Thanks for the advice,
Kantuck

I like the cut of your jib. Love the sarcasm.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kantuckkeean said:

Thanks for the advice,
Kantuck

Nice Kantuck. You are cracking me up. Although I have not braved up enough to grab a sucker for myself. The only time I asked for one was when I was dumping some clad with my 3 year old and it was the only way to keep him from going beserk and taking down the whole branch. Of course this bank didnt have them. The teller was nice and offered him some chewing gum but I nixed that due to choaking... Also felt bad dumping $500 on her and not telling her there was no silver when she asked....

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
I was asked by more than one teller if I would be returning them and more than one mentioned people cherry picking at the counter - sheesh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions