Resource for metal content of foreign coins?

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
My supply bank is getting a lot of people who want to sell their collections and since they cant give more than face value they (the tellers) have called me.

The first time I got several NGC graded coins. This time they had loose foreign coins.

One was a French "Rooster" 20 franc coin and the rest were all Canadian Maple Leaf silver coins. Five of them.

I had no idea what they were worth because I had no idea what the exact metal content was.

Is there a "red book" of foreign coins? Specifically I need to be able to have something to carry with me that lists the silver and gold content of foreign coins.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
GMan00001 said:
http://www.worldcoingallery.com has the gold/silver content of many foreign coins. Probably not all, but it is a good resource.

I'm looking for a book that I can carry with me the next time this happens, so I can look up the metal content and make an offer on the spot.

Most of the time I don't have any idea what Ill see before I go, so it isn't worthwhile to print a page off the 'net.

Nice website though.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins. It is issued by Krause Publications.

It is a bit large (8 1/2 x 11 and almost 2000 pages) but it has a complete listing by date and mint of all world coins Lots of pictures and the weight and metal content of the coins as well.

it's a bit pricey. I have the 2000 version and it was 47.95. but well worth it.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
waseeker said:
Look for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins. It is issued by Krause Publications.

It is a bit large (8 1/2 x 11 and almost 2000 pages) but it has a complete listing by date and mint of all world coins Lots of pictures and the weight and metal content of the coins as well.

Actually, depending on what he is looking for, he might need to buy all editions of it. If I remember correctly they have multiple books each containing one century. I had a 189X foreign coin a couple years ago and if I remember right I ended up needing the book containing the older coins. Of course I found mine at the library so it was free, just temporary.

1800-1900 (actually not sure if it is 1800 or not, just a guess)
1900-2000
2000-

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GMan00001 said:
waseeker said:

Actually, depending on what he is looking for, he might need to buy all editions of it. If I remember correctly they have multiple books each containing one century. I had a 189X foreign coin a couple years ago and if I remember right I ended up needing the book containing the older coins. Of course I found mine at the library so it was free, just temporary.

1800-1900 (actually not sure if it is 1800 or not, just a guess)
1900-2000
2000-

It's probably 1900. Mine starts at 1901.

I didn't think about the version for older coins since Placerman was talking about a Rooster and also some Canadian Maple Leafs. I also didn't realize that Krause had cut off the book at 2000 and was issuing a new one.

Placerman - The Rooster and Maple leafs are typically traded as bullion. You could find a copy of the weekly gray sheet (maybe from a coin dealer), It lists bullion prices for things like the rooster, maple leaf and other bullion for that week. Those prices will be based on the spot price of gold and silver. Using one as a base it is very simple to construct a spreadsheet showing values for various prices of gold and silver bullion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread