U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Typically by the Frosted Details, and Mirror finish in the fields....

But I was wondering if 1964 half dollars the same...do they also have the same frosted details and mirror finish fields as modern coins?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Yes, the answer is the frosting. The mirrorlike finish could look similar to a very sharp non proof coin, but the frosting gives it away. It is easy to spot when you know what you are looking for.

Take a look at some proof coins for sale. See how the frosting looks, and you'll see the difference. :-)

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Top picture- Regular business strike half dollar
Bottom picture- Proof half dollar.

Attachments

• rsz_2005_half_dollar_obv_unc_p.jpg
    rsz_2005_half_dollar_obv_unc_p.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 2001-Proof-Silver-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-coin-collectors-store.jpg
    2001-Proof-Silver-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-coin-collectors-store.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 221

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
proofs are easy to spot, i've found a bunch this year so far

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
apush said:
How can you tell a proof coin from a non-proof coin? For example, a 1990, Proof, No S cent, from a standard 1990 cent with no mintmark? By weight? color?
I know we all get 1990 cent coins, but I would strangle myself if I chunked one into the dump pile.

Thanks for any responses.
apush :read2:

No worries. In your example, all 1990 cent proofs will have an S mintmark. In fact all modern proofs will have a S mintmark (except for West Point). Modern proofs will have a mirror-like field with frosty devices. Now the question arises for how to discern early proofs as they were minted at Philly? This becomes more difficult as the coin circulates. Some proofs were created with deep cameos, but more likely the proof will have no distinguishing surfaces from the field and device. You will be able to tell by the strike. It will be sharper, and more detailed than a business strike. Also, the entire surface of the coin will have a sheen of luster. These early proofs found in the wild are tough to discern as the abrasive nature of being in circulation will diminish the features. Once you found one of the early proofs, you will know.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
visit a coin dealer ,ask a few questions, i never seen a 40% ike untill i went to a coin shop . of course buying an item or 2 makes questions easier

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all. Especially those of you who continually answer my requests. It is appreciated.
apush :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread