Do I Have Proof 1964 Halves? How do I tell?

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
I got a box of halves the other day that had a shiny franklin showing so i was very excited. Out of the box I got 3 Bens and 4 90% Kennedy's that look almost mirror like. The coin shop in town said they have just been polished. Now im ready to sell some 90% Kennedy's but I want to be sure they arent proofs. How can you tell? I have never seen a 1964 with a mint mark so i have no idea where it would be if they even have an S mint mark.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_1904.jpg
    100_1904.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_1899.jpg
    100_1899.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any proofs in your pics.
You will know a proof when you see it.
It will have a mirror background. The best brilliant uncirculated coin isn't as nice as a proof. IMHO

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proofs will have a mirror like backround, but the face will really stand out, almost has a frosted look. Very easy to spot, and they will have an S mint mark. Nice finds on the silver though!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
First, Proof is not a coin's condition; like G, F, VF or MS65. It is a coin that is differently produced/minted/manufactured. Like some of my colleagues have stated, even after 45 years, a '64 Proof half should still have some mirrored background (look in the small spaces between letters numbers and other raised objects on the coin) and the raised objects might still be white/frosted.

Second, there are no '64-S Halves (or any other US coins for that matter). 1964 Proofs (halves included) were minted in Philadelphia; so there will not be a mintmark.

Lastly, the only mintmark there are on '64 Kennedy halves ("D") is on the reverse; below the olive branch in the eagle's claw.

I hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread