Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett GX 1000
Upvote 0

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
here in PA. they won't sell bags off the machines. they send them back to the carrier to be counted. don't know why and i tried banks in all parts of the state.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bags dont go back to the mint. The armoured carriers are the people who deal with the coins. Sounds like you talked to someone who is ill-informed. Weather they will sell to you is up the bank. Most likely their policy that they dont sell them or the machine is leased and the bags belong to someone else who services them.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Many banks won't allow you to buy off the machine. I have only found a few that let me do that.

No offense bspicer4, but I doubt anyone here who is able to get machine bags is gonna tell you where to get them. That is in a sense "proprietary info". If you are going to banks and asking them for the coins in their machine and they say no, that is pretty much all you can do. There are some approaches that work a bit better than others I have learned, but in the end if they are not gonna allow you to buy the machine bag it won't matter how you ask.

AGCoinHunter said:
Bags dont go back to the mint. The armoured carriers are the people who deal with the coins. Sounds like you talked to someone who is ill-informed.

When the tellers say it goes to the fed, they are meaning coin couriers. Since the coin couriers are the "middlemen" with respect to banks' accounts with the fed reserve (which all banks have), the tellers seem to believe (in my opinion) that the coins actually come from the fed. I am sure most CRHers here have a better understanding of how coins are processed than most bank tellers. Some tellers don't even know what a half dollar is--at least I have seen that from a couple of them lately.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread