Help! Returning Coins

craigpcdmc

Feb 3, 2010
OK. My search of dimes, pennies, and small dollar coins is over. Now it's time to return.
I get my coins from Bank A
Bank A has an auto coin counter and is polite and dosen't care if i return some coins there.
Bank B also has an auto counter and i usually return there
BanK C Does Not and is rude never really come here just have an account
Bank ECT: Multipule Banks, up to one Hr away, all have coin counters, all are fine

I don't like the idea that some of my dimes could go in as pennies. I dont mind a $1-2 loss but will die with a $100+ loss. What are the odds of dime getting taken as pennies? Where should i dump. Where should i pick up. None of the counters have Fees. Bank C is not very nice but will give me a few roles to search just never boxes.

Bank C is closest ( walking distance)
Bank A is a 5-10 minute drive
Bank B is a 10-15 minute drive
Bank ECT is many banks that all have free counters. they range from 20 minutes to 1hr away.

Upvote 0

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't you just separate the dimes from the pennies yourself and put them into the counter separately? That way no dimes will get counted as pennies.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
packerbacker said:
Can't you just separate the dimes from the pennies yourself and put them into the counter separately? That way no dimes will get counted as pennies.
In theory, that's how it should work. I carry-in $500 bags of dimes turned over directly to the teller. Got tired of the machine counting dimes as cents, when i dumped only dimes.....happened almost every time.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I have dumped dimes at 4 different banks, and every one has counted some dimes as pennies. So, I don't do dimes too much for that reason, and when I do, I re-roll them and spend them in stores instead of dumping.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my machines almost always count a few dimes as cents. However, since I also am able to buy the cent bags from the machine I generally make out ok since I not only get my "dimes" back but I also get other folks dimes as well.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
packerbacker said:

Not true

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
To start with unless your doing well with small dollar coins switch to halves. I wouldnt get coins from areas that i dump in [that is the first rule i learned in crh]. You can occasionaly test the different machines by dumping an exact amount of dimes to see how well the machine works. Also if your getting more silver then penny losses dont worry about it if not dont use the machine or stop doing dimes. Bringimg $500 bags of dimes back sounds good if u can.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
sounds like laziness to me. When I was CRH, I would individually put each coin into rolls. Had no problem taking coins back to banks.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Detectingfreak said:
sounds like laziness to me. When I was CRH, I would individually put each coin into rolls. Had no problem taking coins back to banks.
That's insane. It's called working smarter, not harder. I'd be re-rolling dimes forever! Talking bout a couple thousand dollars in dimes a week, not a couple rolls here and there, good golly Miss Molly!

Maryland Searcher 2

Feb 8, 2009
Baltimore County Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
How about buying one of those cheap do it yourself counters. I have one for the smaller pocket change and the only thing it costs after the fact is for the tubes and they are cheap.
A cheap counter is about twenty bucks but would save you in the long run. Of course it wont do halves and dollars and you still should cull out the Sacs, "gold" dollars and such to aleviate any unforseen problems I havent run across.

Just a thought since it works for me! :dontknow:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Maryland Searcher 2 said:
How about buying one of those cheap do it yourself counters. I have one for the smaller pocket change and the only thing it costs after the fact is for the tubes and they are cheap.
A cheap counter is about twenty bucks but would save you in the long run. Of course it wont do halves and dollars and you still should cull out the Sacs, "gold" dollars and such to aleviate any unforseen problems I havent run across.

Just a thought since it works for me! :dontknow:
The cheap counter will work great - if all you are searching is pocket change.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread