I found one of the famed "Wisconsin Error quarters". woohoo

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I found one of the famed "Wisconsin Error quarters". woohoo

I have looked for two or three of the more prominent errors while going through my bags and boxes. Today I picked up $2,000 in quarters (Looking for the 2009 quarters, and adding a roll of each of them to my safe. They are rarer than most, and my son was born in 2009, so I want some 2009 coins if I can find them.) along with 8 boxes of halves (Went through 6 so far. Six skunks! STILL not good at halves in AZ!!) and some dimes and pennies. Have not worked those so far.

While going through the quarters, I look at all the Wisconsin, looking for the "extra leaf" error that was found a few years ago right here in Arizona. Tonight I found one. Clear as day, no doubt about it, not a "possibly" or a "probably", but a definite hit!

Here are some pics of the coins, as they are supposed to be plus the errors (there are two types). I have the LOW leaf error. Woohoo!!!!!

Finally found something in 2009 that I'm excited about. :-)

Attachments

• wisconsin error quarter.gif
    wisconsin error quarter.gif
    37.7 KB · Views: 7,474
Upvote 0

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Re: I found one of the famed "Wisconsin Error quarters". woohoo

Congrats, that is a pretty cool error! :thumbsup: Your silver hunt sounds like mine here in NV and I live in the "Silver State" go figure :laughing7:

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

nice, off to ebay to see what they are worth right now

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

$100 on ebay, it looks like. Except those graded very high, which are asking ridiculous prices.

But if I could get $100, I'd probably take that. LOL.

It's a NICE find. I'm very happy about it. :-)

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250

Wow, nice find! On ebay, they seem to be selling at about $50-$100. You might want to slab that baby.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was at a coin store, and a fella from Texas brought in one of the extra leaf high, and one of the extra leaf low, and a normal one for the owner to look at. He was intereseted in finding out what they're worth. He asked the owner what he'd pay for the two, and he said that he didn't really specialize in errors and such, so he called a friend (another coin dealer) who does. I overheard the conversation on the phone, and he described them as AU and that they were going for about $150 for the pair. I think he offered the guy $75 for both of them. The guy kept the coins.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

jimcor said:
So what kind of an error is that?

How did something like that happen?

Great find!

According to all the articles I read, it happened because an employee at the mint purposely made the marks on the dies to made the errors. he sabotaged the dies. The marks were caught, but the person who did it was not.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find JRF. I have never really looked at quarters much but I will keep an eye out for this one. How many quarters you think you went through before you found this error?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread